The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2019, 08:02 AM

Look for one from the mid- to late-1930s.

When I was on the hunt for a slope I played a number of late-2000s and early-2010s AJs, and all were really nice. I agree with Wade in that they are consistently good.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdoctor View Post
I appreciate the replies! There are 2 1990 models on reverb that I'm interested in but they both have a white or off-white label that is off center inside the sound hole. Is that normal from 1990? I'm used to the orange labels that are usually pretty centered inside. Also, one of the 2 has a different pick guard (no tiger stripe) and looks pretty beat up.
Yes, the label placement is 'normal' for that period.

Orange labels weren't used by Bozeman until 1995 (after the Centennial year). And then in the 2000s (to confuse everyone), they re-introduced the white label for 'standard' models, while orange labels were used for whatever non-standard models were.... It's clear as mud, yes.

But from 1989 to 1993, oval white labels were standard, and were placed off-centre.

Fred
Old 01-24-2019, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J185-4Me View Post
Yes, the label placement is 'normal' for that period.

Orange labels weren't used by Bozeman until 1995 (after the Centennial year). And then in the 2000s (to confuse everyone), they re-introduced the white label for 'standard' models, while orange labels were used for whatever non-standard models were.... It's clear as mud, yes.

But from 1989 to 1993, oval white labels were standard, and were placed off-centre.

Fred
Thanks, Fred. The replies so far echo my experience with this fine model.... which is the AJ is super consistent no matter year or production run. Part of me wants a 1990 one since it is the first of the reissue and has an extra 10+ years of ageing and playing on it. But also that much closer to a neck reset etc... There's one for sale from early 2000s that has a certificate that Ren Ferguson personally carved the top braces etc.... that particular one also has an Adi top. It's enticing, that's for sure. I've heard about Ren Ferguson a bunch when talking about the AJ. Was he really 'all that' for lack of a better term? Since the AJs seem to be consistent no matter the year, I would truly like to know the hype around Ren. Is it justified? Not doubting it, just looking for more knowledge I suppose.

Thanks to all for your replies!

My YouTube Grooves
Old 01-26-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdoctor View Post
Thanks, Fred. The replies so far echo my experience with this fine model.... which is the AJ is super consistent no matter year or production run. Part of me wants a 1990 one since it is the first of the reissue and has an extra 10+ years of ageing and playing on it. But also that much closer to a neck reset etc... There's one for sale from early 2000s that has a certificate that Ren Ferguson personally carved the top braces etc.... that particular one also has an Adi top. It's enticing, that's for sure. I've heard about Ren Ferguson a bunch when talking about the AJ. Was he really 'all that' for lack of a better term? Since the AJs seem to be consistent no matter the year, I would truly like to know the hype around Ren. Is it justified? Not doubting it, just looking for more knowledge I suppose.

Thanks to all for your replies!
I have been reading this with keen interest since my AJ has been pretty much my favorite guitar, and honestly one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played. Including boutiques and other upper echelon stuff .

Mine is a 2015 Wildwood New Vintage Hide glue . I have played a couple others from the mid to late 2000's .. and while mine has edged them out, they've all been fantastic.

I dont have the sheer volume numbers of Gibsons played over time to offer a truly comprehensive statement, BUT I would offer this piece .. subjectively.. and that is, from the various different people I've spoken with.. the consensus is that the guitars coming out of Bozeman right now and in the past couple years .. are just about the best they've ever been. Again, take that with a grain of salt, of course... but just this year alone I have owned two 2018 Gibsons and this 2015 and they have all been quite frankly spectacular.

So anyways.. I think you'll find that the older ones are great, too, but I wouldn't discount trying to get ahold of a newer one, either. In particular, I would HIGHLY recommend the Wildwood New Vintage models. As well as any Fuller's Guitar limited runs. (Will try to link to a cool video later that I think you'd be interested to see.... Ren Ferguson talking about the wildwood run of "new vintage" Aj's.. if you do a youtube search for Wildwood Adv. Jumbo you're sure to find it)

Anyway.... good luck on your quest!!! I can definitely see why you'd want another one.. along with my recommendations above I would give a shout out to Kevin Kopp who makes stunning Gibson recreations, if you can call them that, and takes the Gibson sound and aesthetic and marries it to small-bench lutherie. But my pocketbook isn't that deep.

Let us know what you think and how it turns out on your quest.. I'm definitely a AJ devotee for life... and if I were looking for another one, it would likely be a limited run of some kind. Expensive, yes, but truly amazing. Good luck!!!!
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 01-26-2019, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
I have been reading this with keen interest since my AJ has been pretty much my favorite guitar, and honestly one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played. Including boutiques and other upper echelon stuff .

Mine is a 2015 Wildwood New Vintage Hide glue . I have played a couple others from the mid to late 2000's .. and while mine has edged them out, they've all been fantastic.

I dont have the sheer volume numbers of Gibsons played over time to offer a truly comprehensive statement, BUT I would offer this piece .. subjectively.. and that is, from the various different people I've spoken with.. the consensus is that the guitars coming out of Bozeman right now and in the past couple years .. are just about the best they've ever been. Again, take that with a grain of salt, of course... but just this year alone I have owned two 2018 Gibsons and this 2015 and they have all been quite frankly spectacular.

So anyways.. I think you'll find that the older ones are great, too, but I wouldn't discount trying to get ahold of a newer one, either. In particular, I would HIGHLY recommend the Wildwood New Vintage models. As well as any Fuller's Guitar limited runs. (Will try to link to a cool video later that I think you'd be interested to see.... Ren Ferguson talking about the wildwood run of "new vintage" Aj's.. if you do a youtube search for Wildwood Adv. Jumbo you're sure to find it)

Anyway.... good luck on your quest!!! I can definitely see why you'd want another one.. along with my recommendations above I would give a shout out to Kevin Kopp who makes stunning Gibson recreations, if you can call them that, and takes the Gibson sound and aesthetic and marries it to small-bench lutherie. But my pocketbook isn't that deep.

Let us know what you think and how it turns out on your quest.. I'm definitely a AJ devotee for life... and if I were looking for another one, it would likely be a limited run of some kind. Expensive, yes, but truly amazing. Good luck!!!!
Thanks for the info and well wishes! Iím confident you canít really go wrong with any AJ. Iíve yet to play a bad one!

My YouTube Grooves

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion