The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-02-2019, 04:16 PM

I hate tequila
Old 01-02-2019, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I hate tequila
Apparently you don't have to drink it when you play... and probably best not to if you plan to leave your guitar leaning on a car bumper when all those around you have been imbibing.

Tip of the day from Captain Obvious

Old 01-02-2019, 06:38 PM

Default Carbon Fiber

I have owned one of the first CA guitars built for many years now..Its the Legacy AE.. It has the Spergel USA made locking tuners... The only minor problem I ever had was a vibration sound developed and drove me crazy.. I changed strings several times, lubricated the bridge and nut slots with carbon, checked the battery case, only to find out after several weeks it was a wire inside for the pickup loose and needed re-taping..
Now I have had lots of fun with mine such as playing outdoor festivals after a hard nights rain... We will set up a canopy close to a large water puddle and after we come off stage I will lay it on its back floating in the puddle and watch peoples reaction...
I've played on stage in light rain and never worry anymore about weather conditions...wet, cold. hot etc...
Years ago I was playing the St. Patrick's parade in the rain with my 1950 J45 and about a week afterwards it was in the shop getting repaired..
And I must say when we play my wife wants the CA over the Martin's, Gibson's, Larrivee. custom built Perry's, Blueridge, and Slingerland I own because when she sings she depends on the sound of my guitar and the CA cuts through all the others on stage..And if I need an amp, it still sounds great...
Old 01-02-2019, 07:03 PM
Guest 928

I once, after an afternoon of play, grabbed my bag containing an X10 and had not zipped it up. the guitar flipped out and landed, face down, on the rock flooring. Nary a wound. Had that been my brother-in-law's Ramirez I would have owed him a pile of pesos.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

oooo. That photo of the "gulp" destroyed guitar is, shall we say, a killer. If I do get a CF guitar I will try very hard not to run over it with a car, a snow plow, a back hoe, stump grinder or any other heavy motorized equipment.

And again, thanks to all for your thoughts and humor.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 01-02-2019, 07:22 PM

Probably the costliest risk with with carbon fiber guitars is CFGAS.

I wish I remembered where to find the link, but somewhere out there is a guy (a working, paid musician) who dropped his RainSong 6 feet onto concrete, and the top came off. He super-glued it back on, and it worked fine. As far as I know, it's working to this day. It's ugly as hell, but he said it sounded just as good as before.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:32 PM

The early Journey prototype ...cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-02-2019, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
oooo. That photo of the "gulp" destroyed guitar is, shall we say, a killer. If I do get a CF guitar I will try very hard not to run over it with a car, a snow plow, a back hoe, stump grinder or any other heavy motorized equipment.

And again, thanks to all for your thoughts and humor.
Being that the guitar was not ever going to be playable again this comment might sound ridiculous but.......Considering that the rear tire completely rolled over the guitar it faired rather well. Had it been wood the damage would have looked a lot worse, especially the body

Insurance took the sting out of it.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-03-2019, 12:04 AM

One of the biggest problems with carbon fiber guitars is deciding who to leave it to when you've passed on.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeDude View Post
One of the biggest problems with carbon fiber guitars is deciding who to leave it to when you've passed on.
There is that ...true...always something.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-03-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
That and the whole "opening up" issue. I figure my CF guitars will open up nicely - in about 20,000 years.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Being that the guitar was not ever going to be playable again this comment might sound ridiculous but.......Considering that the rear tire completely rolled over the guitar it faired rather well. Had it been wood the damage would have looked a lot worse, especially the body

Insurance took the sting out of it.
If it had been a wood guitar, you would have had more kindling for the campfire...
Old 01-03-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I want my X30 to be buried with me!
Old 01-03-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I want my X30 to be buried with me!
Gonna need a bigger casket ... just guessing'. This would be a situation or "case" where you might want to freeze your silly self so in the future..say 316 years from now... they will have the techno know how to bring you back...guitar will be like new and in tune. Good plan actually if I was a planner that is.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Gonna need a bigger casket ... just guessing'. This would be a situation or "case" where you might want to freeze your silly self so in the future..say 316 years from now... they will have the techno know how to bring you back...guitar will be like new and in tune. Good plan actually if I was a planner that is.
I like it. Double wide casket, cryogenically freeze my body, leave the X30 as is and when I get thawed out I'll be ready to rock on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber