The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-18-2019, 04:02 PM

Mea culpa. Apparently I unjustly maligned a highly respected luthier by implying that he gave abbreviated turnaround times to celebrity clients. I was disabused of this myth when he informed me that a particular celebrity client's guitar took two years. Sorry folks, I guess my sense of instant gratification got the better of me.

McAlister 00 cutaway Italian spruce/walnut
Telecaster ala Danny Gatton/Steve Morse
2 Yamaha BBG5 identical twins
Carvin LB75A fretless

Last edited by dreamsinger; 01-18-2019 at 09:30 PM. Reason: retraction
Old 01-23-2019, 05:14 PM

I would love a OO similar to the Santa Cruz oo Mahogany with cutaway, plus a bevelled arm rest. Can somebody help me?
Breedlove C25/Sme
Blueridge BR-163ce
Recording King RP2-626
Taylor GS Mini
Old 01-23-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemtneer View Post
I would love a OO similar to the Santa Cruz oo Mahogany with cutaway, plus a bevelled arm rest. Can somebody help me?
I have one of the finest OO cutaways on the planet from Roy McAlister, whose guitars have a little Santa Cruz DNA in them. Quilted Cuban mahogany, Italian spruce top, slothead, 12fret Lucas. IDK if he does the armrest bevel but I've never felt a need for one on such a small body.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 acoustics.jpg (27.4 KB, 251 views)

McAlister 00 cutaway Italian spruce/walnut
Telecaster ala Danny Gatton/Steve Morse
2 Yamaha BBG5 identical twins
Carvin LB75A fretless

Old 01-23-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Hey Telemtneer, I would VERY HIGHLY recommend one of my builders, Jayson Bowerman, for the job! Let me drop you a message

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 01-23-2019, 09:27 PM

Ordered a Custom Martin 000-18GE from Jon at My Favorite Guitars.

Custom features:

Deep body option
1 11/16” nut
Full gloss
Mod V neck
‘35 Sunburst

Due in May 2019.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:33 PM

Redwood/Mesquite 00 from Steve Kinnaird. Don't know exactly when but will probably be this year.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

I have a John Walker dreadnought in progress. Adirondack over Sacha Rosewood. Should be done late spring. SWEET !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Body Glued Together 1 2019-01-24 001.jpg (27.3 KB, 208 views)

Last edited by brijas99; 01-25-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:52 PM

Stehr Jumbo 12 String Ziricote/Carpathian Spruce. Should be delivering in a few weeks.

https://www.facebook.com/StehrGuitar...A&__tn__=-UC-R
'87 Taylor 810 (EIR/Sitka)
'07 McPherson 4.5 (Madagascar/Bearclaw Sitka)
'11 Ryan Cathedral GF Signature Series (Braz/Engelmann)
'18 Stehr SJ 8 String Baritone (Honduran RW/Sinker)
'19 Stehr Jumbo 12 String (Ziricote/Carpathian)
Old 01-28-2019, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

David K--your guitar looks amazing.

Looking forward to your review!

Play it in good health...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-29-2019, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by brijas99 View Post
I have a John Walker dreadnought in progress. Adirondack over Sacha Rosewood. Should be done late spring. SWEET !
I never heard of Sacha Rosewood but it looks great. As I understand from some quick research online (so, yes, it could be wrong...) is that it is not a true rosewood therefore no CITES ban and it is tonally similar to Madagascar Rosewood. Very cool!

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-30-2019, 02:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I never heard of Sacha Rosewood but it looks great. As I understand from some quick research online (so, yes, it could be wrong...) is that it is not a true rosewood therefore no CITES ban and it is tonally similar to Madagascar Rosewood. Very cool!

Best,
Jayne
Jayne, I saw you'd posted and hoped it was more on your new build with Sparky Kramer. As a Wingert player I'm fascinated by the guitars that other Wingert players commission. Are you gonna share any images or story with us (hint, hint!)?

Col
Old 01-30-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post

Best,
Jayne
Exactly Jayne. I have built two guitars with it recently, and they are awesome. I have seen guitars built by Mike Baranik & Gustav Fredell, and it gave me taste to try it!

Unfortunately, Peru closed their borders in terms of wood-exportation, and it is not possible to find some of this wood easily. I heard that directly from my dealer.

Sweet looking & sounding wood, it remember me Madagascar RW, and it is CITES free.

"I strive to build my instruments with the finest Tone, Ergonomics & Aesthetics"

https://www.benjaminpaldacciguitars.com/
Old 01-30-2019, 11:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

You should check out this build thread! Tyler is one of my favorite builders! His new R2 model is what you are looking for!
My Experience - “Robbins Guitars” - Tyler Robbins the builder
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=530637
Old 01-31-2019, 04:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Good choice! A 00 with a bevel is my next build with Mike Baranik. Koa instead of mahogany for me though, and I am going for a deep body as well after being really impressed with another deep bodied small guitar he built for a friend.

Mike builds stellar guitars. Give him a call or make the drive up to Templeton and you can talk with him about it!

Col
Old 02-01-2019, 10:13 AM

Didn't expect to be contributing to this thread but sometimes... things just happen. It's not definite yet but I'm SERIOUSLY considering.

So I've had a Bowerman OM-28 in Adirondack/Granadillo in the shop and it has opened up to become one of the best guitars I've ever played. The sound is HUGE and really deep, almost like a dreadnought sounding OM. The only thing that I wasn't too fond of, was the voice as I'm a fingerstyle player and had requested for the guitar to be voiced for something for traditional like flatpicking and blues. But still, it is pretty much one of the best guitars I've played in an objective sense.

Fast forward, I had a commission from a client for a highly customised OM-41 in Adirondack/Salvaged Brazilian Rosewood to be voiced for fingerstyle. Throughout the build process, the client tested the Bowerman OM-28, and we just couldn't imagine his Bowerman sounding any better than it. To be honest, we were both quite afraid that the guitar wouldn't meet his expectations given the immensely high bar already set by the OM-28, especially with the amount of money spent on the upgrades such a Brazilian Rosewood, abalone purflings, and intensive inlays by Harvey Leach.

The guitar has been with the client now for 2 weeks, and let's just say it way exceeded our already very very high expectations! The guitar is just perfect for Fingerstyle with the brilliant sparkle in the trebles that Brazilian Rosewood is famous for (one of the very first guitars I've truly heard this characteristic). And can also take a very heavy pick attack by giving back as much as you put in without compressing. Knowing that the guitar is going to open up like the Bowerman OM-28 just makes it quite the perfect guitar for fingerstyle (just like how the OM-28 is perfect for what it was built for).

Here are some photos. Not going to post too many as he might want to post his own thread on this guitar:

I am probably going to go for a more traditional OM-42 in either Adirondack Brazilian Rosewood, or Italian/Hawaiian Koa. If business goes well for me this year, I might just be able to make that purchase! Fingers crossed. Here are a couple of sets I have reserved for my personal builds (yes, I intend to have multiple )

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop