The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-10-2019, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Default Struggling with my Larrivee OM-40R

Received this in a local trade and for the life of me cannot get used to the neck.
It seems really big. I also may be coming to the realization that although I play mostly fingerstyle, I'm more comfortable with 1 11/16 nut widths. I have pretty big hands but this guitar has got me baffled.

Any thoughts??

Ron
Old 03-10-2019, 03:46 PM

It might be the neck profile + fretboard radius. The compound radius on pre-late 2017 Larrivées is something like 16-22, which makes it a much flatter fretboard than a lot of people are used to.
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele
Old 03-10-2019, 03:52 PM

Struggle is a bad word to use in conjunction with a new guitar...
Old 03-10-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdamato View Post
Received this in a local trade and for the life of me cannot get used to the neck.
It seems really big. I also may be coming to the realization that although I play mostly fingerstyle, I'm more comfortable with 1 11/16 nut widths. I have pretty big hands but this guitar has got me baffled.

Any thoughts??

Ron
Maybe I dodged a bullet, I almost bought a Larrivee OM-40R last week. I don't like big necks. I just sold a guitar with a 1 13/16 inch nut width, I tried and tried, could not get used to the neck, but it had maybe the most beautiful tone ever I've played.
Seagull Artist Studio OM Burst
Guild GAD-50 Burst
Fishman: Loudbox Artist

Caution: link to me singing a Christian Song....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfM4wJZUYoE
Old 03-10-2019, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

@paraclete

I think you nailed it!! I couldn't put my finger (LOL) on it: It's the large radius. Really flat.

@calstang66: This guitar sounds wonderful. I guess I'll be putting it on the block!
Old 03-10-2019, 05:06 PM

+1 radius. I don't notice it problematic, but it is quite different imo.
'05 Larrivee 0M-03 (Custom bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ (Custom koa), '94 Froggy Bottom (Custom koa) dread', '19 Gnome Blues (Custom rw/cedar), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377?, 1900 circa Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella parlor (ply)

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV

..You can't buy the grace notes. - bd
Old 03-10-2019, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Any thoughts??

Ron

I have found that differences in nut width, beck profile, and scale can all impact my playing comfort. I find some guitars with wider nut very comfortable but while I make less mistakes due to increased spacing, I do not have the hand reach (circumference) that i have when the nut is 1 11/16. But then if it’s a 1 11/16, it’s often not short scale so then hand stretch to adjacent frets is less. And mod V neck vs low profile makes a difference too.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraclete View Post
It might be the neck profile + fretboard radius. The compound radius on pre-late 2017 Larrivées is something like 16-22, which makes it a much flatter fretboard than a lot of people are used to.
+1 on this. I really like this Larrivee and came close to buying one. I had a stroke. It damaged my fretting hand. I could no longer play certain neck profiles/widths. Gave up another guitar, didn't buy the Larrivee.

Great guitar. Give it time. I think you can adjust. Give it a good try, at least.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:43 PM

I once fell hard for a Larrivee 000-60, I think.
That tone kept me coming back to the shop time and time again, but finally realized I’d never get used to that neck.
'80's Yamaha SJ-400S
'64 Gibson Melody Maker

Old 03-10-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:

Any thoughts??

Ron
Love my OM-40 (and my other Larrivees). Their ergonomics work well for me.

First suggestion, give it a little time and see if you can bond with it. If not, I suggest you offer it for sale or trade on the forum. You may find something to replace it that will do it for you.

Years ago, I bought a new Taylor 615CE that was the most gorgeous guitar I'd seen at the time. Try though I did, I could not connect with that guitar. I ended trading it to someone who absolutely loves it.

We all have our preferences and sometimes, despite all evidence, a particular guitar doesn't fit.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Larrivee necks are just different. I have large but slender hands, but Larrivee's just don't fit my hands well. Ergonomically it is a combination of nut width, string spacking, neck profile and fingerboard radius. I have to hold back when folks talk about any single specification in isolation.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT Understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom. Compassion cannot supplant wisdom. Wisdom cannot occur without understanding. FACTS DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:53 PM

Don't hold back. It's not like you have to respect others' considered opinions. I've played Larrivee for 40 years -- not like that would give me the right to an opinion tho.
'05 Larrivee 0M-03 (Custom bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ (Custom koa), '94 Froggy Bottom (Custom koa) dread', '19 Gnome Blues (Custom rw/cedar), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377?, 1900 circa Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella parlor (ply)

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV

..You can't buy the grace notes. - bd
Old 03-10-2019, 09:44 PM

You are not the first player that couldn't bond with a Larrivee neck. Some people have issues with Rainsong and their 20" fret board radius too. Comfort is a complex combination of neck carve, fretboard radius, rolled edges, nut width, and string spacing - and sometimes how you feel on a given day.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:53 PM

I just checked out the specs. Looks like it would be right up my alley.........except for the price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion