The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Guess you like Collings. So someone thinks Taylors and Collings sound alike. Oh well. Maybe the ones he compared did. Who knows? Why is this an issue?
I own a Collings but if you read my first post you'd see that I see my Collings as the black swan of my herd. I keep it for the change of pace but it's a spectacular instrument. Very untaylor and unmartin like!
Old 03-03-2017, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
The way I see it, only Martin could make a better Martin.
That's the way anybody should see it; but you know, here on AGF we take the simplest of things, and then figure out ways to complicate the living snot out of them

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 03-03-2017 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Removed profanity
Old 03-03-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsdmb View Post
I own a Collings but if you read my first post you'd see that I see my Collings as the black swan of my herd. I keep it for the change of pace but it's a spectacular instrument. Very untaylor and unmartin like!
gotcha...thanks
Old 03-03-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Not sure where to even start on this. The tone of a Taylor and Collings could not be anymore different. Taylor produces hundreds a day to a spec while Collings does a fraction of that by hand and braces their tops based on the piece of wood rather than a spec. That's just on the surface of this. So...yes...it's disrespectful to Bruce at Collings doing all things wood by hand while Taylor cranks out guitar by the hundreds daily to a spec. I'm in no way anti Taylor but what these companies provide to the guitar world are completely different. For the record I commend Taylor for their current direction and think Andy Powers has done wonders. Still not comparable companies in any aspect, though. And no..I'm not saying my Collings is better than your Taylor. It's just better in my head for my tastes and my preferences which is all that matters to me.
Forget it.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Not sure where to even start on this. The tone of a Taylor and Collings could not be anymore different. Taylor produces hundreds a day to a spec while Collings does a fraction of that by hand and braces their tops based on the piece of wood rather than a spec. That's just on the surface of this. So...yes...it's disrespectful to Bruce at Collings doing all things wood by hand while Taylor cranks out guitar by the hundreds daily to a spec. I'm in no way anti Taylor but what these companies provide to the guitar world are completely different. For the record I commend Taylor for their current direction and think Andy Powers has done wonders. Still not comparable companies in any aspect, though. And no..I'm not saying my Collings is better than your Taylor. It's just better in my head for my tastes and my preferences which is all that matters to me.
Maybe not comparable companies, but their guitars have a signature tone that is very similar to my ear.

.......Mike
Old 03-03-2017, 10:57 AM

Surprising it's gone this far without anyone having mentioned the fine people over at Zager.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:02 AM

My 2011 Collings D2H:

My 1970 Martin D-28:

Both have Sitka spruce tops and EIR back & sides. Both sound great but VERY different. The Collings offers better individual note articulation.

If I could only have one acoustic, it would say "Collings " on the headstock. That said, I also love a lot of Martins and Guilds.

Let your ears decide.

Last edited by 6L6; 03-03-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:02 AM

Last edited by Jambi; 03-03-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:04 AM

I don't know the answer to the OP's question.

However, I do feel that Ovation makes improved Martins.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

I imagine it's be written over and over, No one builds Martins better than Martin.

There are some very nice Martin-like guitars out there. Merrill comes to mind.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic View Post
Forget it.

Great counter point ☝️
Old 03-03-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
Maybe not comparable companies, but their guitars have a signature tone that is very similar to my ear.

.......Mike
Opinions are great. I won't agree and others here could find common grounds in both sides. Those two brand guitars could not sound any different to my ears.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:11 PM

Bagnasco & Casati....
Incredible guitars.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

It sounds as though you know what sound it is you are looking for and you know the tonewoods that speak to you. Why not find some guitar stores that carry a variety of guitars in your price range and play a bunch. It doesn't seem to me that it would matter what the brand is as long as you find the guitar that hits on all cylinders that you are seeking.

There are some tremendous used Martin dreads out there and you might find a vintage dread that will fit the bill. A friend of mine just bought a great one for well under your price range.

As far as builders go, John Slobod at Circa makes a wonderful traditional sounding guitar but he may be out of your price range. Not sure if there are any used ones out there.

Another idea would be to call some dealers and let them know what you are looking for and your price range and they can be on the look out for you to try a likely candidate. Good luck in your search.

Best,
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 01-11-2019 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Added content
Old 01-11-2019, 03:33 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I imagine it's be written over and over, No one builds Martins better than Martin.
Yep. Martin-like? Maybe. Better than Martin. Nope...not to these ears.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion