The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-25-2015, 01:07 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I'm glad that you are pleased with your Chimaera, Richard. Are your impressions the same whether playing acoustically or plugged in? Do you use a pick(s)?
Old 10-25-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I'm glad that you are pleased with your Chimaera, Richard. Are your impressions the same whether playing acoustically or plugged in? Do you use a pick(s)?

updated my post with comments on plugging in.

yep, picks and 2 fingers, jimmy page style.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardpavelec View Post
Emerald .. (Colorado)...
You said these 2 words in the same post which is about as rare as a hawk and prairie dog having tea together. I would love to play a couple of Mr. Hay's crazy inventions- the Synergy and the Amicus.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
hello all. i aim to write and publish a full review of my Emerald Chimaera experience. but, i cannot put that thing down yet so, i will post a good write-up later.

what i will say now is, Alister (Emerald) should be nominated for a Nobel prize of some sort!

the guitar rings and sustains like a grand piano, which blends harmonic tones like some kind of stone-age acoustic-machine Pharo planet-Crypton-Eventide thingy (ha ha)!

the neck does not flex when i am sitting back on the couch, leaning on the portions of the body out of laziness (you know...bedtime playing...you guys don't take your guitars to bed and lean them?...ha ha). but seriously, hate a neck that you can pull back on and raise the pitch. WTF!

the finish IS a bit noisy to rub against but i will deal with that somehow or adapt. i will love the Ovation textured look, which matches my batman costume (its a joke, son)!

it is true that when playing one neck, the other strings vibrate a bit (but so far, it does not bother me).

before, i was a guitarist who had to switch back and forth between 2 guitars. what a pain. that made me be lazy and just stick with one set of licks, letting my others go un exercised. now, i have a prosthetic limb that allows me to play both ways on one axe. wow...like Jesus giving sight to the blind! i feel THAT grateful to Alister at Emerald. he was the only CF builder who would do these one offs within a reasonable prove-range (unlike Rain-Song, Composite-Acoustics and Black-Bird).

as soon as i put the guitar in my lap and switched necks, i started to GIGGLE (as if i was on laughing gas or being tickled). Why? because, i was SOOO relieved and pleased by the ability to switch like i did (and still sound as good as my wooden jumbos...Guild F50 and Gibson j200).

Yes...I said it....the shallow carbon fiber body, because it is wide, can compete with a jumbo tone. i was SO afraid the the Emerald would never be a jumbo tone. i was wrong! Plugged in, it is fine. In fact, i like that this guitar does NOT have a DUAL-SOURCE pickup (as condensers and transducers are an Achilles heel for feedback, on stage). i am pleased to be back with a piezo only, then EQ it.

For Emerald, i am volunteering to be a regional "test site" (Colorado) for any players who want to try Emerald before ordering. sell all your woodys boys...CF is the future!

more later...
Such a nice review and you totally nail some of my impressions as well. One, yes that large soundboard gives you that big sound with a thin guitar. Few will believe it. And thin is crazy comfortable. And yes without Alistair it would never be in your hands. He comes from another planet we are lucky to have him.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-25-2015, 07:12 PM

Richard, congratulations on an awesome axe!

And I have to say your choice of a textured finish (even on the back of the neck) is totally insane (in a good way)! I'd love to play it (but I'm not in Colorado, aw.)
Old 11-08-2015, 09:31 PM

cannot sleep now so i want to check in.

i am tripin'..tripin'..tripin happy!

this thing NEVER, NEVER, NEVER gets out of tune (and i use 13-56 strings).

i have no desire to ever look or play another guitar, ever again. now it is more fun to look-at and admire expensive wood guitars because i know that back home, i have something better. maybe i sound like a content hubby of a hot second wife? ha ha!

i feel sorry for those Olson and Martin players (and the likes) who dished out big bucks because, although they have a supreme tone and feel, their guitars are like egg-shells that don't stand a chance in a Katrina situation, frequent airline travel or exposure to fog, snow and heat.

but my GOD, these Emerald guitars are like driving/owning a Hummer and a Lamborghini, all in one.

more later!
Old 11-09-2015, 07:20 AM

Congrats to you Rich!!!

Your opening thread - that part on switching between guitars of different tuning, has actually in one way or another influenced me to visit my Emerald dealer here in Singapore today! And I have something to report here shortly. Something to do with "twin" too 😁.

A bit off track here- just saw the latest X7-OS black weave Opus at my dealer there. It's a beauty and nothing short of stunning, and as usual, at a very very reasonable price point for a handmade CF guitar!! And it almost went home with me.... Anyway.

Keep enjoying your doubleneck, I played my T8 everyday!!!
Old 11-09-2015, 11:16 AM

Hi Richard, your Emerald sounds awesome. What's going on with this company?? How can you offer a custom double neck for so cheap?? Awesome!

I was reading about the sympathetic ringing your having. At times it could be really nice to have the 2nd neck ringing, but I am sure that there are times that you won't want it.

I remembered about a trick that is used often in the bass playing community. Victor Wooten uses it all the time (I think it originated with his guitar playing brother Reggie. He puts a hair scrunchie that sits just on the other side of the nut. Any time he needs to mute sympathetic ringing of open strings, he just slides it past the nut to mute the strings. He sometimes slides it back and forth a few times in a song. There are also aftermarket versions of this that don't require you to go to the female hair accessory department of Wal-Mart. Some of the after market versions seem more effective.

I hope you have many years of enjoyment! I looked at your full rig there, nice setup!!
Old 11-09-2015, 11:58 AM

thanks for all recent replies.

yes, this name-brand and builder (Emerald and Alister Hay) is the way to go. that boy works his *** off, even with all the trips he makes.

the others (Rainbsong, Blackbrird, Composite-Acoustics, McPheresen, etc) are all nice quality and sound too but, they need to catch up in having stock/production molds for double-necks. before, i wanted Black-Bird to make my guitar but, they wanted to charge 15K, at least. Leviora (from Germany) was the only other maker, willing to build a one-off (for around $4000) but, he had no track record of a double-neck yet (while Emerald had already built about 10 before I came along, so he already went through the R&D). i am sure the Chinese will soon be putting out CF models soon enough.

when my FULL review is complete, i aim to translate it to Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese and Chinese. i am an American who has strong ties to Asia so, i want musicians in that part of the world to know about CF. besides, this guitar (it's self) may make me famous out there (ha ha)! they also are still building out of wood, despite that weather and atmosphere is WORSE than in America. so, i am glad to see a guy from Singapore, reading here.

i am making no commission from these comments and am not a salesperson or employee of Emerald. but i wear his patch on my arm, as a loyalist, thats for sure! for order and info, contact Alister direct (but mention "RICHARD'S black Chimaera forum strings)?

PS - i read a fellow Colorado guy was on this post. Look me up if you want: [email protected]

Richard

Last edited by richardpavelec; 11-09-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
Hi Richard, your Emerald sounds awesome. What's going on with this company?? How can you offer a custom double neck for so cheap?? Awesome!

I was reading about the sympathetic ringing your having. At times it could be really nice to have the 2nd neck ringing, but I am sure that there are times that you won't want it.

I remembered about a trick that is used often in the bass playing community. Victor Wooten uses it all the time (I think it originated with his guitar playing brother Reggie. He puts a hair scrunchie that sits just on the other side of the nut. Any time he needs to mute sympathetic ringing of open strings, he just slides it past the nut to mute the strings. He sometimes slides it back and forth a few times in a song. There are also aftermarket versions of this that don't require you to go to the female hair accessory department of Wal-Mart. Some of the after market versions seem more effective.

I hope you have many years of enjoyment! I looked at your full rig there, nice setup!!

thanks. another advantage i am finding with these CF beasts is that when pickups are installed, they could not respond better. i suspect the transfer of vibrations to the piezos are non colored or filtered, like wood can do. and since my audio rig has so much processing power, i do just fine. for example, i use a "Finalizer" for an EQ (ha ha..look those up on google, they are powerhouses)! also, i still insist that any basic DAW interface has far cleaner preamps than any amp out there (Fishman, etc). start off with the cleanest preamp possible, then build from there. DAW interfaces baby (so you can connect to a computer or use in stand-alone mode).

carbon fiber + piezo + digital processing = one wicked tone

Last edited by richardpavelec; 11-09-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:08 PM

Default few month later

depending on what happens in November I've spoken to Alistair about ordering my chimera. 12/6. I play a martin jumbo 12 now and martin d 35. I also have an composite acoustic glx they don't make it anymore.

wondering if you still love you chimera. especially acoustically
how would the sound compare to my guitars
Old 08-03-2016, 10:42 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
depending on what happens in November I've spoken to Alistair about ordering my chimera. 12/6. I play a martin jumbo 12 now and martin d 35. I also have an composite acoustic glx they don't make it anymore.

wondering if you still love you chimera. especially acoustically
how would the sound compare to my guitars
I own a Chimaera 6/12 and love it after a long time for all the reasons Richard has said. I can't compare it to the Martins you have as I have none, just a Taylor 814ce, HCI I like a lot. I do own an '08 CA Cargo and soon after bought a GXi, but I sold the GXi to help fund my Chimaera. I did quite like the GXi, but like the Chimaera a lot more for many reasons. It's just a fun guitar to have both a 6 and 12 in one ergonomic package and be able to go back and forth between necks even within a given song, which requires practice for accuracy and timing in the the transition.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:47 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post

Unless I'm playing a song where I'm going back and forth between necks on my 6/12 Chimaera, if I don't want any sympathetic vibrations, which aren't that noticeable really, I just place a capo at the 12th fret on the unused neck. That's a good spot because capoing low on the neck will still permit vibrations. An easy solution.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
thanks for all recent replies.

yes, this name-brand and builder (Emerald and Alister Hay) is the way to go. that boy works his *** off, even with all the trips he makes.

the others (Rainbsong, Blackbrird, Composite-Acoustics, McPheresen, etc) are all nice quality and sound too but, they need to catch up in having stock/production molds for double-necks. before, i wanted Black-Bird to make my guitar but, they wanted to charge 15K, at least. Leviora (from Germany) was the only other maker, willing to build a one-off (for around $4000) but, he had no track record of a double-neck yet (while Emerald had already built about 10 before I came along, so he already went through the R&D). i am sure the Chinese will soon be putting out CF models soon enough.

when my FULL review is complete, i aim to translate it to Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese and Chinese. i am an American who has strong ties to Asia so, i want musicians in that part of the world to know about CF. besides, this guitar (it's self) may make me famous out there (ha ha)! they also are still building out of wood, despite that weather and atmosphere is WORSE than in America. so, i am glad to see a guy from Singapore, reading here.

i am making no commission from these comments and am not a salesperson or employee of Emerald. but i wear his patch on my arm, as a loyalist, thats for sure! for order and info, contact Alister direct (but mention "RICHARD'S black Chimaera forum strings)?

PS - i read a fellow Colorado guy was on this post. Look me up if you want: [email protected]

Richard
Dear Richard,

We really appreciate the kind feedback you have left here for the members of AGF. This means so much to us.. We are always so happy to read when a customer is pleased with his/her Emerald. We wish you continued enjoyment with your new Chimaera.

Best Wishes from all the team here in Donegal.

Sean
Old 05-19-2017, 07:29 PM

greetings.

this thread is old. but, i started it. its been about 2 years since i took possession of my Emerald Chimaera. today, just wanted to come back and say that this thing is unreal!

i had to make a few upgrades:

1) i replaced the Gotoh Stealths with Gotoh Delta 510's.
2) i replaced the B-Band with two D-tar Wavelength 18vs PU systems

the "sympathetic vibrations" (from neck not being played) did become an issue (but easily controlled with careful placement of a capo).

the rough "ovation style" finish i chose ended up being a little noisy when my arm brushed back and forth (but, i learned to control that).

i found that picking closer to the neck made up for the shallow body (and gave it the Jumbo sound I missed from my sold Guild F50). that was my work-around to missing my jumbos so much.

this CF resinates so long that it's almost like artificial intelligence or an alien weapon (ha ha)! seriously....my wood guitars NEVER sustained like this beast! just barely plucking it with your thumb just makes it ring forever...and it's a pleasing tone, not life-less like some CF guitars.

and then there is the whole 2 six-string neck thing. i have often been made fun of, that i paid so much for double 6-string when, my second tuning (DADGAD) only requires 2 string changes. well..let me tell you, it is SUCH a luxury and convenience to have those two tunings, right at my fingers! i have NO regrets at all, about spending the money I did on this odd duck.

it did require some getting used to, with a strap (because of the lower neck being farther away.) i found that I needed to make my strap shorter and hang the guitar higher than normal (like on my chest instead of stomach). this was so I could easily reach the bottom neck. it felt geeky at first but now, i think it looks really kool to play this best, so high up!

the CF does not flex at all. let me explain: i often lean back in chairs (watching TV, fishing or sleeping at the park) and play in bed, where I apply pressure on the body a bit, leaning on it with my strumming arm. with my wood guitars, i if i "lounged" like that (with a guitar), i could easily get the neck to pull back a bit and intermittently raise the pitch a bit. not possible with CF! it is the most stable neck and body i have ever played on!

i took this guitar to Vietnam, last year. it was a hit! and WOW, what a "chick magnet" this thing was over there (ha ha)! playing in a park, at a park-bench, i had honey's coming up to me all day and night (ha ha)!

thanks again Alistair and Emerald Guitars! you were the right choice.

(excuse any typos here)

Last edited by richardpavelec; 05-19-2017 at 07:36 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber