The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old 07-22-2015, 11:30 AM
ZippyChip ZippyChip is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 258
Default

Thanks MC1. I appreciate you taking the time to say some nice things about my playing.
__________________
Classical
2013 Alhambra 9P cedar
1976 Alvarez/Yairi CY140
2005 Alvarez AC60SC
2005 Alvarez MC90C
****************
Steel
2002 Martin OMC18VLJ signature
2003 Mauel McCloud Custom
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 07-27-2015, 11:58 AM
mc1 mc1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: nova scotia
Posts: 12,898
Default

this one is "hommage à eric satie" by erling pedersen.

in the video, the first painting is a portrait of satie done by suzanne valadon. the other paintings have suzanne in them as a model, and are painted by toulouse-lautrec or renoir.

wikipedia has this to say about the relationship between erik satie and suzanne valadon:

Satie and Suzanne Valadon, an artists' model, artist and a long-time friend of Miguel Utrillo (and mother of Maurice Utrillo), began an affair early in 1893. After their first night together, he proposed marriage. The two did not marry, but Valadon moved to a room next to Satie's at the Rue Cortot. Satie became obsessed with her, calling her his Biqui, and writing impassioned notes about "her whole being, lovely eyes, gentle hands, and tiny feet". During their relationship, Satie composed the Danses gothiques as a kind of prayer to restore peace of mind, and Valadon painted a portrait of Satie, which she gave to him. After six months she moved away, leaving Satie broken-hearted. Afterwards, he said that he was left with "nothing but an icy loneliness that fills the head with emptiness and the heart with sadness". It is believed this was the only intimate relationship Satie ever had.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Satie




Last edited by mc1; 07-27-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 07-27-2015, 01:45 PM
ZippyChip ZippyChip is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 258
Default

Mc1
That was so good! Close, intimate, and well played.
__________________
Classical
2013 Alhambra 9P cedar
1976 Alvarez/Yairi CY140
2005 Alvarez AC60SC
2005 Alvarez MC90C
****************
Steel
2002 Martin OMC18VLJ signature
2003 Mauel McCloud Custom
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 07-27-2015, 03:06 PM
mc1 mc1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: nova scotia
Posts: 12,898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChip View Post
Mc1
That was so good! Close, intimate, and well played.
thank you, zippy!
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 08-04-2015, 11:49 AM
creamburmese creamburmese is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Maryland, US
Posts: 506
Default

Wow I haven't been on here for a week or 2 - what lovely pieces from ZippyChip and MC1! I love the Rose in the Garden - I actually play that piece, but nowhere near so well as ZippyChip - lovely interpretation. And I'm hoping to add the Hommage to Eric Satie to the melodies I can play if I can find the sheet music - so beautiful!
__________________
adultguitarjourney.blogspot.com
Taylor 712, a couple of nice classicals
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 08-04-2015, 12:51 PM
mc1 mc1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: nova scotia
Posts: 12,898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamburmese View Post
Wow I haven't been on here for a week or 2 - what lovely pieces from ZippyChip and MC1! I love the Rose in the Garden - I actually play that piece, but nowhere near so well as ZippyChip - lovely interpretation. And I'm hoping to add the Hommage to Eric Satie to the melodies I can play if I can find the sheet music - so beautiful!
thanks creamburmese! you can find the sheet music over at delcamp (if you are a member, which you are). also on youtube is erling playing it. he (and i) play it kind of differently from the sparse sheet music he created.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 08-11-2015, 08:07 AM
graceman graceman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
thanks creamburmese! you can find the sheet music over at delcamp (if you are a member, which you are). also on youtube is erling playing it. he (and i) play it kind of differently from the sparse sheet music he created.
Yes the score is published on Delcamp. :-)
And regarding this score - it was actually an aim to make it as simple as possible - to actually reflect the simplicity of the work. Therefore I have not made any fingerings or advices on Dynamics and so on. It's true that I myself play it slightly different than the actual score. - But the thing is that after I recorded it I "tightened it up" a bit in the final score.

Regards
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 08-11-2015, 08:14 AM
mc1 mc1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: nova scotia
Posts: 12,898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceman View Post
Yes the score is published on Delcamp. :-)
And regarding this score - it was actually an aim to make it as simple as possible - to actually reflect the simplicity of the work. Therefore I have not made any fingerings or advices on Dynamics and so on. It's true that I myself play it slightly different than the actual score. - But the thing is that after I recorded it I "tightened it up" a bit in the final score.

Regards
hi graceman!

please don't take my calling it "sparse" as derogatory. i meant it more as a heads-up for anyone interested to seek out your youtube version, and also to be prepared to do a little bit of work for themselves. i actual think there are significant differences between the score and your recording.

thanks for weighing in.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 08-11-2015, 11:01 AM
graceman graceman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
hi graceman!

please don't take my calling it "sparse" as derogatory. i meant it more as a heads-up for anyone interested to seek out your youtube version, and also to be prepared to do a little bit of work for themselves. i actual think there are significant differences between the score and your recording.

thanks for weighing in.
I realize that Mc1 :-)

I just wanted to clarify why the score looks as it does. Maybe in a future life when I have all the time I need I would score it delicately - without options for real interpretaion?

On the other hand... NO... this will not happen - and thanks again for your recording. It's very rewarding to see what others read out of ones music.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 08-13-2015, 06:37 PM
mc1 mc1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: nova scotia
Posts: 12,898
Default

this is a pretty little barcarolle (gondolier song) from napolean coste. it's good for practicing dampening the bass notes. i hear a ringing sympathetic string in there, but i'm off for a week so i'll go with this. the score can be found here:
http://www2.kb.dk/elib/noder/rischel/RiBS0173.pdf



Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 08-13-2015, 07:55 PM
mc1 mc1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: nova scotia
Posts: 12,898
Default

i'd like to close my involvement in this thread with a few thoughts. it certainly didn't unfold like i expected, which is neither good nor bad, just the way things often turn out.

thanks for all the support, it was very appreciated. i think i have actually improved as a player in the last number of weeks, quite a bit more than if i would have kept my typical course.

it's also been humbling. so many intermediate pieces i thought i could bring up to speed in a week, and weeks later still need polishing. i've learned that even the easiest pieces are hard, and to never underestimate the amount of work to learn a tune.

but the best lesson was that playing pieces pretty much suited to one's abilities is very rewarding, and that there is lots of great music at every level.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 08-17-2015, 07:41 AM
creamburmese creamburmese is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Maryland, US
Posts: 506
Default

Hi mc1

Even though I didn't participate - I followed your progress with interest and thoroughly enjoyed some of the pieces you presented. Kudos to you for keeping it going for so long! Maybe one day I'll get to play them - my problem is not enough time in the day and at my level the learning curve is still so steep that I don't lack for things to work on... hope to hear more from you soon.
__________________
adultguitarjourney.blogspot.com
Taylor 712, a couple of nice classicals
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=