The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-07-2012, 10:25 AM

Default Martin 000c Nylon

Hi
New to the classical guitars.
What is the thought on the Martin 000c Nylon Guitar?

Hi
Read past information on Martin Nylons and was very helpfull.

Thanks.
Bob

Last edited by Srrblack; 07-07-2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Read information on Martin Guitar on Forum
Old 07-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin 000c-16srne

I have the Martin 000c-16srne and La Patrie Collection, at first I liked the La Patrie better but the Martin is sounding a little better. Mainly clearer bass notes and the low profile shallow C neck, is more comfortable to play. Doug
Old 07-07-2012, 08:25 PM

Default Martin 000c nylon

I am considering the new Martin Nylon.
I also see the older Martins and a few people like the 000c sgtne.
I think I will want a pickup and that is included in the new Nylon.
AS I say this is new to me, I am just trying to do my homework.
thanks for the reply
Bob
Old 07-07-2012, 09:06 PM

Default Love my 000C16SGNTE

Bob,

Love my 000C16SGNTE......I have had it for about 2 years. I play it more than my OMC-15e or 00X1AE. I just love the cedar and mahogany.

I have played a 000C-16SRNE.....a different sound although great sound from rosewood...

I believe the spruce and sapele on the new 000C nylon would sound great with the new electronics.

One thing for sure....the pickup on my guitar is great and easy to balance. I am interested enough in the 000C to dump some guitars to get it.

I have played a few nice nylon Taylors and they sound very nice and are easy to play but the Martin just has a thump bass sound and a nice higher end that I just cannot find on Taylors.

However, I have liked the NS24E without cutaway enough to pick up one if the deal was right. Lot of guitar for a little money.

I am going to pickup a 000C nylon on ebay when someone dumps it because of the long scale which I love.

Have fun,

Jon
Old 07-08-2012, 08:04 AM

probably end up bidding against you Martin000, I'd like to pick up a lightly used one too. I doubt I'll ever part with my 000c-16sgtne.
LoPrinzi model A baritone uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany nui (big baritone) uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany baritone uke
Harmony baritone uke
Old 07-08-2012, 08:06 AM

Default Pickup

Hi Jon
What is a good pickup for a 000c classical?
Would you use the same pick up for a Martin 00 18c classical
or a 00 18 g Martin.

The clasiscals are not your most popular Martins biut they have
a great sound. Its about the sound
Old 07-08-2012, 09:19 AM

the Fishman ProBlend in my sgtne seems perfectly matched to the mahogany/cedar body but I would hate to see a vintage Martin classical cut up to install one. Also, the radiused fret board and 1 7/8th width nut of the 000c and 000c-16sgtne/srne would arguably take them out of the classical catagory. I have not heard a 000c plugged in but hear great stories about it with the new pick-up it has. I prefer playing in front of a mic myself and would not install a pick-up...I rarely plug my sgtne in.
Bear in mind, I am speaking with a folk singers mentality and use both guitar and banjo as vocal back-up...no classical training (or ambitions) what so ever.
Harmony baritone uke
Old 07-08-2012, 08:13 PM

So how do these Martin nylon string guitars sound compared to a decent/good quality classical guitar? Or another way of putting this question might be why get one of these Martins rather than getting a good classical guitar?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:54 AM

So how do these Martin nylon string guitars sound compared to a decent/good quality classical guitar? Or another way of putting this question might be why get one of these Martins rather than getting a good classical guitar?[/QUOTE]

Just because it has nylon strings doesn't mean you are required to play only classical pieces. Martin has never really been the "one to have" with classical artists but they more than hold their own with folkies and other styles. Their resale value alone is an indicator of their popularity.

This is why I think that this nylon string forum is watched by different groups, each playing beautiful music, for sure, but many, many different styles.
Harmony baritone uke
Old 07-10-2012, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Default 000C Strings

What stringsd are you all using on your 000C? Martin recommends the Martin Classical 121 (I think). What are you using? Blessings,
Old 07-10-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john bange View Post
Just because it has nylon strings doesn't mean you are required to play only classical pieces. Martin has never really been the "one to have" with classical artists but they more than hold their own with folkies and other styles. Their resale value alone is an indicator of their popularity.

This is why I think that this nylon string forum is watched by different groups, each playing beautiful music, for sure, but many, many different styles.
Just because a guitar is called a classical guitar doesn't mean you have to just play classical pieces on it either. I never suggested that (nor do I mostly play classical pieces on my classical guitar).

My question had to do with how these nylon string Martins sound. I have never played one. I do know that some of the traditionally built classical guitars are wonderful sounding guitars - more often than not, most anything I might otherwise play on my steel string guitars sounds better on my classical, including original fingerstyle pieces that were inspired by one of my steel string guitars.

A great classical guitar is not just a guitar for classical music. A good classical guitar is a very responsive instrument with amazing tone and really good dynamic range (its loud if you want it to be) that is, plain and simple, a fantastic guitar.

Regardless of the sort of music one might want to play, the very best sounding nylon string guitars I have played (in, say, the 1K - 3K range) have been some of the Spanish made classicals. I often wonder why folks buying nylon string guitars buy anything else when some of these Spanish guitars are so good for their price.

So, my question again: what is the advantage of one of these nylon string Martins vs. a good classical guitar? Do they have a different unique tone that some people prefer, or something else? (As I said above, I've never had opportunity to play a nylon string Martin, so I'm really curious)

(I do realize that some of the allure of, say, the crossovers is a narrower neck that might appeal to folks who otherwise play steel string guitars, but for me tone and volume and such takes precedence over everything else, and I've not encountered other nylon string guitars in the same price range that match these Spanish ones in terms of sound.).

Last edited by wcap; 07-10-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:38 PM

I just listened to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXVhu...eature=related

Nice sounding guitars (and nice playing in the video). They sound like classical guitars to me (not surprising of course). I wonder how they compare side by side with a good classical.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Martin Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
I just listened to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXVhu...eature=related

Nice sounding guitars (and nice playing in the video). They sound like classical guitars to me (not surprising of course). I wonder how they compare side by side with a good classical.
In general, I find that the Martin nylons have more of what I would call a mellow tone than a traditional classical which is much brighter and louder than the Martins. Of the ones in the video, the N20 was probably closest to what you might call a classical instrument (still not very close) and for the kind of music I like to play, my least favorite. I filmed this video over 15 months ago and I still like the 00-18G the best of all the guitars in the video...the 00-18C is a close second. Both of these are spruce/mahogany instruments.

I have owned a 000C-16SRNE and a 000C (ever so briefly) and found them to be quite different from any of the guitars in the video. Both nice instruments, but not as mellow sounding (with the deep resonant bass and ringing trebles) as the older nylons (especially with Oasis Carbon GPX normal tension strings). I personally like the older Martins much better, but like the price point on the 000C if you want to get into a decent Martin nylon with electronics.

For what it is worth, I created another video after the one posted that seems to do a better job of demonstrating the differences on the Martin nylons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZDHC...4&feature=plcp

Also at a very reasonable price point, I find the Takamine classicals (the older 132 series) to be once of the best compromises between a straight classical, the Martin nylon mellowness and a guitar with electronics. You can pick these up used in the $400 to $700 range and get a lot of bang for the buck. Yes they are laminate (but built like a tanks and can take a lot of abuse). I have a 1997 CP-132SC and 1985 EC-132C and really like them both plugged in and unplugged...again considering the price range. D'Addario hard tensions seem to work well on these.

Last edited by CCFingerstyle; 07-11-2012 at 03:17 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Default 000c

I've just bought, (traded acutally) for a Martin 000C and I think the court is still out on how much I really like it. I have a couple of Cordoba's and like them both very much. I also have a "classical" coming (Alvarez MC 90). Although, I'm not really much of a muscian, I think I can determine which sounds I like or don't like. However, to be honest to the longer scale Martin, what seems to be your string preference? I also very much enjoyed the video comparison of the Martins. Greate videok, playing and great guitars. Blessings, arktrav
Old 07-11-2012, 07:12 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1 View Post
I have the Martin 000c-16srne and La Patrie Collection, at first I liked the La Patrie better but the Martin is sounding a little better. Mainly clearer bass notes and the low profile shallow C neck, is more comfortable to play. Doug
DOUG: Keep playing that Martin. I think you got yourself a WINNER when you did a deal for it.

I hope you will enjoy it when you can get away from golf n' guns!

DJ

Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical