The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-15-2001, 09:51 PM

Post Beginner recorder

I have been wanting to record...I have decided on Computer recording. I just need to beef up the RAM and the Hard Drive on this computer. I am going to get 256 MB of RAm. and 30 to 60 GB of hardrive. Will this be suitable for recording? I have prettymuch decided on buying a new soundcard...The bundled Aardvark Direct Pro LX6 which comes with soundcard, Real time DSP effects, a box with 4 balanced line inputs (1/4"), and Cakewalk Pro Audio 9. I am also going to get an ART Hot Kit Studio recording bundle. It comes with ART Tube MP Microphone preamplifier, an APEX 430 condenser pressure gradient microphone and a shockmount, winscreed and XLR cable. (not sure if it comes with a stand. The RAM will be 100 bucks, hardrive 100-150, Aardvark was listed for 400 on Mars' web page but I thought I saw it in the store for 300, and ART Kit for 200. This sound like a good setup for a beginner?
Thanks a lot,
Daniel
Old 07-16-2001, 02:12 PM

Hrm, Ram prices can be a lot cheaper than that. They've been steadily falling every since around March, and are now dirt cheap. =P check out www.pricewatch.com and look around on there, thou try to get a name brand kind of ram, rather than the Generic ones that are all listed as cheapest first.
Randall
Old 07-16-2001, 02:20 PM

At best buy 256 MB of RAM was 99.99 but then you send in a $50 rebate, so really it is 49.99.
Old 07-16-2001, 10:42 PM

You didn't mention what kind of computer you have. You might also want to get a CD burner to archive your projects, they suck up disk space faster than you would believe.
Get as much disk and RAM as you can afford.

If you're really a beginner, you might want to get one of the lower end recording programs like Cakewalk Home Studio or Cubasis instead of the full blown software. They run around $80. You wouldn't likely use all those more complex features, and the learning curve would be smaller. You can invest the rest of the money in better gear, and upgrade the software at some time in the future.

The ART preamp usually goes for around $100, so you're talking about less than $100 for that condenser mic. You might want to get a good quality dynamic mic instead of a really cheap condenser. Shure SM-57 maybe?

Another great way to go is the Tascam US-428. I got one of these when they came out, and I love it. It connects to your computer through USB and comes with Cubasis.
You can use the unit to control the software using actual physical controls (faders, knobs, buttons, transport controls) instead of using the mouse. I can't imagine doing computer recording without something like this. It has a MIDI interface, digital inputs, and XLR and unbalanced inputs. I think it goes for around $500 these days. Right in your price range.

Don't forget about cables, they're a hidden cost.

Ken
Old 07-17-2001, 09:15 AM

I talked to a guy in Mars about the Aardvark and everyone who knows about those soundcards loves them. They are shielded so there is less noise. The reason I was aiming for Cakewalk Pro 9 is because it comes bundled with the soundcard...and is only 80 bucks more than the soundcard itself. So really I am getting a better program for the same price of the other. I found some RAM online but I don't know what kind my computer needs. I am running a crappy EMachines etower500is with 550 mhz and an intel celeron processor. (is the Celeron the upgraded version of the Pentium 3?) I planned on getting a CD-RW but I don't know the differences between the different kinds and what would be suitable for my situation. I was going to get a 60 GB hard drive...but should I get a CD-RW first? I was looking at prices of blank cds and I couldnt believe you can get 50 cds for 15 bucks!!!
thanks for the help,
Daniel

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification