The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-14-2001, 11:00 PM

Post Big Goose Spruce (Goodall)

I've asked this of some people ... but I was wondering people's take on this top ... I'm thinking about putting it on a Macassar Ebony Concert Jumbo. The other top I'm thinking about is Adirondack Spruce.

Any thoughts? I don't do heavy strumming ... mostly fingerpicking ... and light strumming.
Old 05-15-2001, 10:04 AM
Jim

I'm not sure I've ever heard of "Big Goose spruce". People use all kinds of marketing names to sell woods which can get pretty confusing. What is the botanical name?
Picea xxxx?

There is tonal variability even within the same species and some boards can be stiffer and some more flexible which changes the resulting tone.

In general, my experience with Adirondack is that it is best on guitars used for heavy strumming, like old Martins or Collings D-1s because it is stiff enough not to break up under heavy attack. I'm not sure that I've seen many people using it for finger style.

Another thought, Macassar ebony is pretty hard and will likely give you a fairly bright response. You might want to consider a top that might soften it a bit, unless you are going for an overall bright sounding guitar. Have you thought about Engelmann or cedar?

Since you will be spending a big pile of bones for such a guitar, probably the best thing to do would be to contact James Goodall personally and discuss with him the tone you are looking for and ask him to recommend the best solution.
Old 05-15-2001, 10:26 AM

I don't recall the details, but the Goose is a particular sitka tree that was about a gazillion years old, and supposedly has awesome tone. Goodall has some, and I'm not sure who else might (if anybody.)

I know there are lots of Goodall and Big Goose fans on the discussion forum at http://13thfret.com/ and even a couple of recent threads, so wait for the page to load and then search on goose. (Or, Gooooooose, as some like to call it! )

Oh, and last I heard, there was a $1500 upcharge for one of the few remaining Goose tops.

I've never heard macassar ebony, but it's one of the prettiest woods I've ever seen.

~ Paul

[ 05-15-2001: Message edited by: PaulLePine ]
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18
Old 05-15-2001, 04:28 PM

Gee, for a minute there I thought that maybe they had dismantled Howard Hughes' amphibious Spruce Goose monstrosity and recycled the wood. Now that would be well-aged spruce.
Old 05-15-2001, 11:58 PM

Thanks Jim and Paul. I finally got in touch with James today (I've been busy, meaning to call him for a few weeks) and had a good talk. It was nice talking with him again about building this guitar ... the last time I had such a talk was when he was building a Brazilian for me.

The Big Goose is a sitka as Paul said. So, I've decided to go with Adirondack. I currently have a Macassar Ebony/Adirondack which I'll be trading in to get this guitar (upgrading wood, getting the old style bridge, and a few other aesthetics). I've grown to love this combination and am looking forward to seeing this one built.

I have played Macassar Ebony/Engelmann and prefer the Adirondack. That's sort of weird since I usually prefer Engelmann.
Old 05-16-2001, 05:14 AM

Cool

Next time you talk to James, ask him about a special little parlor guitar he built. Maple and cedar combination. I'd never heard of one before, but he says it the loudest little guitar he's ever built. Even louder than the standard. My local shop has just came on board with Goodall and has ordered 5 new models. Can't wait to see them.
Old 05-16-2001, 09:21 AM

Maple/cedar? Hmmm ...

Is my next case of GAS starting before my next guitar is even starting to get built?
Old 06-24-2001, 07:40 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.
The story behind the Goodall "Big Goose" spruce top as I know it is as follows. A spruce tree up in Alaska toppled some time back (I have heard estimates of up to 100 yars ago) and came to lay across a ravine or part of a valley where there are lots of geese (I believe the valley is called the "Big Goose valley") Anyway, rather than rotting on the ground the log basically air dried for a loooong time, yielding woods that are reported to have that aged open sound right off of the bat. There were a limited number of blanks obtained from the tree (I heard 100) that James Goodall got a hold of and was offering on his guitars as a custom upcharge item. Last I heard there were approx. 20 left (as of 6 weeks ago). Reports from those who have had the opportunity to play one of the Big Goose topped Goodalls are generally fantastic (the word "grail" is almost always used ). One dealer I have talked with feels that James is approaching these "Big Goose" guitars as the ones he thinks he will be remembered by. (Conjecture). Anyway, once that last blank of Big Goose is gone it is gone. Adirondac will still be around for awhile.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 06-25-2001, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SO:
<STRONG>Gee, for a minute there I thought that maybe they had dismantled Howard Hughes' amphibious Spruce Goose monstrosity and recycled the wood. Now that would be well-aged spruce.</STRONG>
The name "Spruce Goose" was made up by some reporter. Howard Hughes did not ever use that term for the plane. It is NOT made of spruce. The following quote comes from www.sprucegoose.org :

"The entire airframe and surface structures are composed of laminated wood (primarily birch). All primary control surfaces except the flaps are fabric covered."

[ 06-25-2001: Message edited by: LarryH in Texas ]
Old 06-26-2001, 04:36 PM

I have played my buddy's Goodall flamed walnut/Goose Spruce CJ a number of times and found it to be one of the most unique voices from James Goodall. It has all the famous richness and complexity but with what we have settled on is a "sweetness" to its voice. A truly gorgeous guitar. I'll get the owner to chime in as well.

Marc Durso
Goodall / Thompson

Wonderful dream guitars someday:
Mark Blanchard Pinyon (00) Ad/Koa slothead 12fret contour cutaway, Mark Blanchard Sugarpine (000) Ad/Mad fan 12 fret contour cutaway w/Manzer wedge
Old 06-26-2001, 06:06 PM

I couldn't let Durso's challenge to post go unanswered so here it is: I am, in fact, the lucky owner of a Goodall Walnut/Goooose CJ, picked up at Guitar Gallery in Nashville, and I couldn't be more pleased. The selection of woods is truly amazing... the walnut has more flame and multiple colorings than any I have ever seen. The top, however, is what we want to talk about. Unbelievable cross silking, and the color is of light, golden cedar. The big, round, rich Goodall sound is there, but, as Marc says, it has more... more clarity and separation of any Sitka I have ever played. At certain fret positions, you actually get bell-like "ringing" overtones. It is a fingerpicker's delight. I truly believe the Big Goose is more than a marketing ploy... it really, really sounds unique... with mystique! Anyone who can acquire one of these tops will really be pleased. Bart
Old 07-10-2001, 09:29 AM

I seem to remember when Guitar gallery had a gooose-topped guitar recently, maybe your's Bart, they had a little blurb about the wood on the website. In it they said that two luthiers were in possession of top wood form this tree. One was James Goodall, the other was Bob Taylor. Has anyone heard anything to support this?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification