The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-17-2001, 08:45 AM

Post Collings OM-2H

Hello guitar-crazed people!

I know this ain't a Taylor (which is why it's here), but I just added a new guitar ... it's Indian rosewood/German spruce. This is my first German spruce top guitar as well as my first Collings.

I played it against a few Brazilian rosewood guitars (PS-12, Goodall CJ) last night ... and now I'm wondering if I like this Collings over them ... not alot of overtones, but very clear and crisp fundamentals ... makes my Taylors and Goodalls sound just noisy when strummed. And when I A/Bed it in the store against a JCSM, same thing ... the JCSM sounded mushy and unfocused.

I still prefer the complex overtones, especially when fingerpicking on some songs ... but this little OM is a great strummer.

I hope I'm not becoming a Collings collector now ...

If anyone who has some Collings experience wouldn't mind chatting about them, I have some questions I'd like to ask ...
Old 06-17-2001, 09:47 AM

I don't have any experience with them...I would love to, but no stores around my area. I hear Collings makes the best guitars in the business nowadays. Nice choice!
Old 06-17-2001, 10:08 AM

hey buddiesorg!

Is CAS getting you now?!

I understand. Though I don't have one the temptation has been extremely strong a couple of times. Very well made, wonderful tone. The one thing that kept me from acquiring one is the $$. That last little cutie was about a grand more than a comparable Taylor. Didn't sound "better", just very pleasingly and refreshingly different. Imagining how it would sound doing duets with some of my other beauties was nearly irresistible! Would have been a great addition to the "harem"!

Only thing I don't like about them -- that awful label inside. Looks cheesy.

A hearty CONGRATULATIONS on your new lovely!

P.S. -- If'n you want to get rid of that nasty ole JCSM, just let me know!
Old 06-18-2001, 10:25 AM

trombone, I have a Collings D2H that I bought recently after stalking them for quite a while. Played quite a few OM2Hs and almost bought one but..

My D2H has a very different sound than most Taylor dreads. I usually flatpick it, but it will let me fingerstyle without a care (1" 3/4" nut) Direct, strong, clear, piano-like with a rich focus on the mids. The outside ranges aren't shabby either. Overtones are subtle (they will probably stregnthen a bit over time), harmonics are strong. Very loud and won't break-up no matter how hard you push it. I would say that it's almost too loud! I usually have to back off a bit with my voice (it has this very beutiful, delicate clarity when played softly). The sustain is tremendous. Built exceedingly well, although a bit on the heavy side by weight. If you want some information on Collings you might try the AG forum or the 13th fret sites and do a search. They have quite a bit of discussion on the OM2Hs.

AG site: http://www.acousticguitar.com/ubbcgi...=60&LastLogin=

13th fret site: http://www.coredatasys.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.html

Enjoy it!
NYC
Old 06-27-2001, 12:02 AM

Buddiesorg, I have a Collings OM-2H, 1 3/4 neck, Indian rosewood with sitka spruce top. I agree, Collings hallmark is very clear, crisp tones, nice definition and an amazing amount of volume and bass from an OM body. A very balanced instrument, wonderful workmanship, easy to play. I like the Collings OM neck better than the Taylor neck shape, it just feels right to me. If you haven't done it yet, give a listen to Laurence Juber - he records with several Collings OM series guitars, and you will hear very similar tones coming from your instrument.

I have had several Taylors, an 810 and an 810WMB, both excellent examples, and I have to admit that the Collings OM just blows them away. The Collings is very nice for fingerstyle but shines when flatpicked. It is the most versatile acoustic I have owned, great for fingerstyle, great for blues flatpicked, great for just about anything.

Lots of nice guitars out there, and I've played some Brazilian Martins, but have not played a Goodall in that configuration, so I can't comment on your initial question. I have found that the Collings sound is just about perfect to my ear, and it is the guitar I usually reach for first.
Old 07-07-2001, 11:11 AM

Just to give a bit of an update on this guitar ... I absolutely love it! But my GA-BE is still the best fingerpicking rosewood guitar I have. I think I've figured out why I like this Collings over others I've played ... it's the most Taylor-like sounding Collings I've ever played! My husband had difficulty telling the difference at times.

I don't know what was up with the JCSM I A/Bed it against at the store (maybe old strings?) ... the one I have at home competes well with it, though the two sound quite different.

The Collings has a deeper bass ... but I like the even distribution across bass and treble response of the Taylors as well. I'm just hopeless when it comes to trying to keep my guitar collection down ... now I can't fit two in the closet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification