The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2019, 08:57 AM

Call me superficial but I have no desire to have long fingernails to play guitar. Doesn’t take long to get used to playing finger style without them and develop great sound
Old 01-26-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers View Post
Does anyone out there play finger style with bare flesh? My nails often break, and I have had no success with finger/thumb picks.
I like playing with bare flesh, but obviously volume and tone are affected. Will these improve if I develop calluses?
Also, are there any recommendations for strings? I have been using extra lights, since my ageing hands are not as strong as they used to be. I have taken up the guitar after a gap of many years.

1969 Harmony Sovereign H1266
Fender concert-size

Thank you in anticipation.
Tommy Emmanuel, one of the greatest finger style guitarists ever plays with the tips of his fingers. We were at one of his concerts and after a song he pauses and tells us he needed to fix a broken fingernail. He basically bites it and tears it off and some in the crowd reacts with "Ewww!" He told us, "Don't worry, I don't need it. I play with the tips of my fingers and don't use my nails at all."

Here he is: https://youtu.be/cPkQn5nDTZs
Old 01-26-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Alaska Piks are a great option also. They are one of the tools of awesome guitarist Eric Skye. I do both, like the variety and options both bring. I am a thumb pick user, like Fred Kelly.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 01-26-2019, 01:57 PM

Five finger dude here. Have tried to use thumb pick but can’t find ones that fit well. At some point when I have time, I will try to find thumb picks that fit. But for now I get a fine sound with just my flesh.

Related question:. I use my right pinky a lot when finger picking. Do others??
Old 01-26-2019, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Fingers and thumb, no nails for me too. I like the sound better and it's warmer to me. I also don't like it when my nails are long.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion