The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-12-2001, 01:22 AM

Cool National Tricone

Yesterday I ordered a new National Tricone resonator, Style 1. My local music store, Hugo Helmer Music in Mount Vernon, Wa., gave me a great price on it, and it turns out I got a bonus.

When Mike, the owner, called the National factory to check availability, they told him they had some Style 1 guitars in stock but they also had a custom-engraved style 1 they would sell for the same price.

It seems that someone had ordered a Tricone Style 1, the un-engraved model, but he wanted a Hawaiian scene, palm trees and all that, engraved on it. This scene is not regularly available on the Tricone, only on the single resonator models. The factory screwed up and had two of them built. They told Mike they'd be willing to sell it for the same price as the Plain-Jane Tricone. I couldn't help myself. I bought it on the spot. Should be here next week. Can't wait.

One thing's for sure. I probably won't see another one like it. 'Lessen of course I run into the guy who bought the other one.

Next time y'all talk to me, I'll be a bluesman.
Old 07-14-2001, 07:17 AM

Congrats on ordering your Tri-cone. I have a 2000 Style 1 myself, love it. BEST guitar I've ever come across for playing bottleneck, bar none. For Delta Blues, it may not have the RAW sound of the Duolian , or a style N, but the over-tones & harmonics that come out of this guitar are unbelieveable. The ONLY thing I don't like is the fact thay you just about have to wear finger picks when playing it. Playing it bare-fingered like I play wood body guitars just does not sound the way it's supposed to. I know you'll love yours, If you can, put a photo of it up on the web someplace & let me have the link, I'd love to see a Style 1 with the Hawaiian scene on it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification