The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-22-2019, 08:37 PM

Try removing the dots by wiping them with naphtha and scrubbing them with a tooth brush to save yourself $90.00. Wipe clean with soap and water.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Try removing the dots by wiping them with naphtha and scrubbing them with a tooth brush to save yourself $90.00. Wipe clean with soap and water.
I was considering this. I'll get some naphtha and try it out.
Seagull S6 GT
Old 02-23-2019, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Now that we know about the dots, I was going to suggest the same thing. I'm sure they can be removed with some sort of cleaner. If the naptha doesn't work, try Goof Off. Make sure if you get some on the finish to wipe it off right away. It won't hurt the finish unless it is left there for several minutes. I use it in my cleaning business to get off a myriad of things.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:37 AM

All them cracks inside the rosette tell me there is more happening here and it will not be a simple rout out the old and glue in the new.... Then there is the matter of finish work, most shops are only equipped for basic drop fills and such which will leave the job looking very sloppy on top when finished.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

I agree with Brian - this is a bigger problem than just sharpie dots.

The photos are hard to see but I can't detect a grain pattern in the rosette and it looks uneven on sides and shows significant shrinkage. Is it even wood? Again maybe the pics don't show it well but I wonder if the original rosette was removed and the slot filled with wood putty and the dots added to decorate the wood putty?

That's what it looks like from the photo

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 02-23-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I agree with Brian - this is a bigger problem than just sharpie dots.

The photos are hard to see but I can't detect a grain pattern in the rosette and it looks uneven on sides and shows significant shrinkage. Is it even wood? Again maybe the pics don't show it well but I wonder if the original rosette was removed and the slot filled with wood putty and the dots added to decorate the wood putty?

That's what it looks like from the photo
This is what I was afraid of, but I think you’re right. This is why it looks the way it does. I have faith that it can be repaired, but it’s not so simple.
Seagull S6 GT
Old 02-24-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexsblues View Post
This is what I was afraid of, but I think you’re right. This is why it looks the way it does. I have faith that it can be repaired, but it’s not so simple.
I can repair anything if someone deems it worth the effort and expense.... Be warned though, what you see is usually just the tip of the iceberg in these cases and I really have my doubts this was done to this guitar for purely cosmetic reasons....
Old 02-26-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Howard View Post
I can repair anything if someone deems it worth the effort and expense.... Be warned though, what you see is usually just the tip of the iceberg in these cases and I really have my doubts this was done to this guitar for purely cosmetic reasons....
There's definitely a crack in that area, but it seems somewhat minor. As far as the other "repairs" done on this guitar, it's quite obvious it wasn't done professionally.

I'm gonna take it down to Glaser Instruments, and I have full confidence it can be restored. The question is how expensive it will be.
Seagull S6 GT
Old 02-26-2019, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Howard View Post
I can repair anything if someone deems it worth the effort and expense.... Be warned though, what you see is usually just the tip of the iceberg ...
I often tell a story as a parable,although it was a true story.

I was helping my wife spruce up her dad's house.

I bought a new toilet seat from Walmart and went to install it. The toilet was brittle and cracked. I pulled the toilet out to replace it and saw the linoleum under it was terrible. I pulled the linoleum up and the underlayment was rotten. I stripped that out to find the floorboards broken and missing.

I, literally, started out replacing a $7 toilet seat and ended up stripping the floor down to the joists.

My coworkers started using the phrase "toilet seat story" when talking about projects that are just the tip of the iceberg.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
repair, restoration, rosette