The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-28-2021, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I guess everyone responses differently. This Flomax does nothing as far as I'm concerned. the CBD seems unpredictable ;plus I get drug tested and I know it WILL show up! My urologist tried to talk me itno Uroflow surgery , I just had 3 minor surgeries and had a catheter from hemmroid surgery ; so I'm in no hurry to get "put under "again anytime soon.
If your symptoms are not that bothersome then you may not wish to pursue surgical options.As another urologist I never tried to cajole anyone into surgery.Particularity any "new" or unproven treatment that has no long tern studies like the "lift" "urolow" etc.

There are some lifestyle measures that can help:reduce or eliminate caffeinated and alcoholic beverages(sorry ),avoid fluid intake 3 hours before retiring to bed,

With aging there is a natural tendency to wake up to empty the bladder.Also,other meds such as those for high blood pressure treatment have side effects on urinary patterns...
Old 02-28-2021, 10:49 AM

This seems a good time and place to mention that I’ve read that many men die with prostate tumours but very few of us die from prostate tumours. I guess that’s good news?
Old 02-28-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanKliman View Post
This seems a good time and place to mention that I’ve read that many men die with prostate tumours but very few of us die from prostate tumours. I guess that’s good news?
Yeah. Years ago I read that if you live long enough, something that can be classified as Prostate cancer will likely develop, but they'll find it when they autopsy you for something else...
Old 02-28-2021, 11:00 AM

Blue, that might have been exactly what I read, about finding that on post-mortem examination.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanKliman View Post
I don’t think that is true. It is probably true that many men have prostate tumors that do not kill them. But according to the American Cancer Society:

“ Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in American men, behind only lung cancer. About 1 man in 41 will die of prostate cancer.”

I have also read that prostate cancer in men is just as common as breast cancer is in women.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:45 AM

Thanks Rich, information from a reliable source is always a good thing, especially in cases like this (“I remember reading...”). I have to wonder if those figures are expected to change, as the data are probably based on past generations who were more likely to have unhealthy habits. However, I’ve just had a look online and the Mayo Clinic rather bluntly states, “It's not clear what causes prostate cancer.”
Old 02-28-2021, 01:50 PM

I could have been on tamsulosin years ago but put it off. I am grateful for the urologist's comments. As a pharmacist I see a lot of prescriptions for it. Doxazocin is another generic drug used for BPH. It might work better for an individual.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 02-28-2021, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
I don’t think that is true. It is probably true that many men have prostate tumors that do not kill them. But according to the American Cancer Society:

“ Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in American men, behind only lung cancer. About 1 man in 41 will die of prostate cancer.”

I have also read that prostate cancer in men is just as common as breast cancer is in women.
Like all type of cancers there is a variation -although a high percentage of men over 90 will have prostate cancer at death(autopsy studies),those are very low grade NON aggressive forms of the disease.

Aggressive so called "high grade" prostate cancer is still a not uncommon serious disease that can lead to death in your 50s and 60s.

Like just about every cancer the exact cause remains an enigma.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Folks, this thread has wasted a lot of moderator time. We realize it's an important topic, so please help us out and keep the discussion within the rules. Thank you... carry on.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:51 PM

oops sorry if I started some bad vibbes here. I wish there was something to take besides Flomax. thanks.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
oops sorry if I started some bad vibbes here. I wish there was something to take besides Flomax. thanks.
There are other options including at least two medications. I haven't tried them opting rather to stay with the Tamsulosin and living with the side effects. Talk to your doctor.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
direct answer:Yes, there is an alternative well proven med:

Finasteride-you should have a urologist consult before going on it-

keep healthy!
Old 02-28-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
direct answer:Yes, there is an alternative well proven med:

Finasteride-you should have a urologist consult before going on it-

keep healthy!
wow never heard of this one .My urologist told me some of these meds of bad [sexual ] side effects ,That is why he put me on flomax.Do you think finastreide has these side effects ? thanks for your help !!!
Old 02-28-2021, 09:04 PM

Let me just reiterate the previous reply by our new unofficial AGF urologist, Dr. GuitarGabor (thank you by the way). Please do not underestimate the severity of prostate cancer. Not all prostatic adenocarcinomas are slow growing and asymptomatic. My father died of complications of metastatic aggressive prostate cancer. It metastasized everywhere in him including bones. It was not a very good way to die. His brother also had it although not as severe. Since it runs in the family, to say I am concerned for myself and my son would be an understatement. The key is early diagnosis so start getting your PSAs done at 50 at the latest.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Let me just reiterate the previous reply by our new unofficial AGF urologist, Dr. GuitarGabor (thank you by the way). Please do not underestimate the severity of prostate cancer. Not all prostatic adenocarcinomas are slow growing and asymptomatic. My father died of complications of metastatic aggressive prostate cancer. It metastasized everywhere in him including bones. It was not a very good way to die. His brother also had it although not as severe. Since it runs in the family, to say I am concerned for myself and my son would be an understatement. The key is early diagnosis so start getting your PSAs done at 50 at the latest.
Listen to Tom, guys (and your doctor, obviously). I lost my grandfather and an uncle exactly the same way as he lost his dad. My uncle was 52, his only child was 11. Get yourself checked regularly, it is very treatable if detected early. My uncle thought he was having a recurrence of back problems. By the time he was diagnosed it was too late, and the treatments were devastating. Another uncle caught it in time, and he is alive and well in his late 70's.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic