The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-03-2021, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

I carry a Swiss Army knife always and use it daily for several things. I also carry a full auto Benchmade Osborne that rarely get's used.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

I still carry one a Boker Plus Carried a pocket knife for nearly 70 years
Old 02-03-2021, 03:16 PM

I have a small Swiss Army knife on my keychain, and a small folding knife (1.5” blade). Very handy for opening delivered packages. I had a very small Buck knife the came as a freebie with a larger Buck knife. I had it about 30 years but lost it during a move several years ago. I still miss it!
Old 02-03-2021, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

I’m with Steve but from the other coast. I grew up in the SF Bay Area and got my first pocketknife when I was a Cub Scout. That would have been about 1957. There have been very few days that some type of pocketknife hasn’t been in my pocket since then.

Most days I have a Benchmade Mel Purdue model clipped to my jeans pocket and a tiny Leatherman Squirt in my other pocket. The Squirt has a spring loaded needle nose plier that is perfect for removing burrs and porcupine quills from various places on my bird dog(s).

Not a pocketknife but my father gave me my first hunting knife for Christmas when I was 12 and old enough to to start deer hunting with him. It is a Western Cutlery brand made in Boulder CO. Coincidentally I now live not far from there, and I still have and use that knife. I have much more expensive hunting knives these days but it just feels right carrying the one Dad gave me 58 years ago when I’m afield.

Yes, I too have PKAS!
Old 02-03-2021, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Pocket knife

Thanks to all those who have replied.
I went through a phase where I collected pocketknives,mainly Case brand. I have accumulated many. Some are fancy with Mother of Pearl, abalone, turquoise,etc. but I don’t use those. I use the ones that have some sentimental value and are more utilitarian. I rarely lose one but they occasionally make it through the clothes wash cycle.

I was buying jewelry for my wife and while in the store saw some fancy pocket knives. Like really fancy and expensive. They were made by William Henry. Ever heard of them? Seeing them made me feel better about my modest knife collection and all of my guitars.[emoji3]

https://www.williamhenry.com/knives.html

Last edited by TRose; 02-03-2021 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

I hadn’t heard of those William Henry knives but they sure are nice! Truly works of art.

Do you have any from Queens Cutlery? I have a 2 blade trapper from them. It has an interesting feature on one blade. It has a hook on the end for one hand opening. As you draw it from your pocket you catch the hook on the edge of the pocket and it pops open. It works very well and fast after you get the hang of it. I admit to slicing one pair of pants while learning how to deploy. No blood was shed. I used to carry it on business trips in Germany where my Benchmade is verboten. Queens Cutlery has an interesting history https://www.countryknives.com/brand-...queen-cutlery/
Old 02-03-2021, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampix View Post
I hadn’t heard of those William Henry knives but they sure are nice! Truly works of art.

Do you have any from Queens Cutlery? I have a 2 blade trapper from them. It has an interesting feature on one blade. It has a hook on the end for one hand opening. As you draw it from your pocket you catch the hook on the edge of the pocket and it pops open. It works very well and fast after you get the hang of it. I admit to slicing one pair of pants while learning how to deploy. No blood was shed. I used to carry it on business trips in Germany where my Benchmade is verboten. Queens Cutlery has an interesting history https://www.countryknives.com/brand-...queen-cutlery/

Thanks, Rampix. I am unfamiliar with Queens cutlery but will check them out.
Cheers!
Old 02-03-2021, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

You’re welcome TRose. I just looked for their website and discovered they went out of business in 2018. Guess I’ve got a collectible now
Old 02-03-2021, 05:47 PM

Every day since I was maybe 8. These days, mostly a Spyderco with H1 steel. They are pretty much waterproof and bulletproof. I haven't seen one rust yet. I've had them on my life jacket while rafting, boat while fishing, and I have even SCUBA dived with them. You can't kill them.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:01 PM

I have one custom knife that has never even been put in the sheath. It was about $1500, and most collectors avoid marks on the blade of customs by not even putting it in the custom sheath. I'm really careful with every knife except two that I carry.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:40 PM

I don't carry a knife, although there is one in my gig bag, along with all kinds of other tools. The knives I've been buying lately are kitchen knives. I've slowly been replacing my old "el cheapo" cooking knive set, one by one, with really nice Japanese and German ones. Makes all the difference for cooking.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...1&d=1612400031
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAK_0_6223__S1.jpg (26.4 KB, 92 views)

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-03-2021, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

I carry a pocket knife, but as you note, I need to remember not to take it when going on a trip by plane or going through some kind of security check.

I seem to use a pocket knife for a hundred different things, including pulling staples. I don't use anything fancy. I use something similar to the Boy Scout knife I've had in my pocket since I was about 11 years old, but this one is not official, just a copy.

I keep wearing holes in my pants where the pocket is from carrying that knife around all the time. This drives my wife crazy.

I would carry a Swizz army knife in my pocket but those things generally don't fold up all the way, leaving jagged edges sticking out to poke me in my pocket. So I have never carried these knives much.

- Glenn
Old 02-03-2021, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Always since I was a kid unless I'm on a plane (or going to from one).

Different ones over the years, but the current ones are either a three blade Buck pocket knife or the new 55 model lock back with the Taylor Ebony handles. Both of these are under two ounces and are great. Sometimes a Leatherman Micra.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:43 PM

I carry a 50+ years old Schrade Old Timer knife that was left to me.

Last edited by FLRon; 02-04-2021 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Edited for wrong knife!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic