The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-31-2021, 10:55 AM

Default Opinions from experience on archtop

Getting ready to purchase a archtop guitar sight unseen as there is nowhere near me to even see one, I have read all the reviews on dozens etc. but have come down to the Ibanez PM2 as my choice, based on having only one pickup vs. two which I would never use.
I know it is a lower price instrument but I want to stay under 1k, I found one used that looks nice for 800.
Has anyone owned, owns , or played one? If so I would appreciate opinions, good or bad. Thanks
Old 01-31-2021, 12:20 PM

I don't have any first-hand experience with that model. In the $1K and under range you might take a look at Eastman. I've heard they are making the best product in that range. Consider the pickups, pots, components, tuners, etc that come in those under $1K instruments. Good luck

Last edited by cheer tunes; 01-31-2021 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

It seems like a nice enough guitar. I have never played one though. Another one you might consider is the Guild A150 Savoy. You can get them used on Reverb in the $800 range.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:23 PM

One of these might fill the bill:

https://www.theloarstore.com/collect...archtop-guitar
Old 02-01-2021, 09:03 AM

Thanks guys, settled on the Comins.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:23 AM

Default Benedetto

Don't sell yourself short. I made a mistake when I was getting my guitar degree and played a mid level instrument. When I got my first job I purchased a professional instrument, and it opened a whole new world in playing for me. The lesser (student) instruments will hold you back as a musician in the long run, and likely discourage you, and make you seem like you have less talent than you may actually have. Get a Benedetto, they are what it takes to sound like a pro archtop player.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaton View Post
Don't sell yourself short. ... Get a Benedetto, they are what it takes to sound like a pro archtop player.
My God, over $10k to get into the game? Practice is what it takes and a whole lot of people are wonderful players on "lesser" guitars.

Yes, a Lotto win would make it easy to jump on the Benedetto, or a large portfolio of funds as well.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Don't sell yourself short. I made a mistake when I was getting my guitar degree and played a mid level instrument. When I got my first job I purchased a professional instrument, and it opened a whole new world in playing for me. The lesser (student) instruments will hold you back as a musician in the long run, and likely discourage you, and make you seem like you have less talent than you may actually have. Get a Benedetto, they are what it takes to sound like a pro archtop player.
Yeah, I don't know how George Benson or Pat Metheny get by playing a lowly Ibanez.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGinNJ View Post
Yeah, I don't know how George Benson or Pat Metheny get by playing a lowly Ibanez.
Why spend small change on a Benedetto that has not aged for more than 10-15 years, - when you can instantly sound so much better playing a 1930's Stromburg or a 1950's d'Angelico
Old 02-24-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
The first time I saw George Benson playing an Ibanez - a blonde Johnny Smith knockoff that sold for $475 w/HSC - was in 1977, at the Metropolitan Museum (NYC) Jazz Guitar Summit (Les Paul's first public appearance in 15 years BTW, and with Bucky Pizzarelli and Gabor Szabo also on the bill, an unforgettable evening). For those who may not be aware/have forgotten, archtops could be had for stupid-low prices in the early/mid-70's; while top-tier (L-5/Super 400) Gibsons always tended to be more expensive I personally played New York Epiphone Emperors and DeLuxes in the $450-600 range, D'Angelicos at $1200-1500, a Stromberg Master 400 at $900 (should've jumped on this one), a late-50's blonde Gretsch Eldorado 17" cutaway for $325 that I'm still kicking myself over - and although George could (and did) have any instrument he desired, that lawsuit Ibanez was his guitar of choice when going head-to-head with these legendary players. Although IMO the current GB model is grossly overpriced at $3600 street, those early Ibanez JS-style archtops are well-made guitars that command $2500+ (when and if available) on the basis of both construction and tone - and although my needs were very different at that time I should've followed my gut and bought one, if only on speculation...
Old 03-29-2021, 07:56 AM

https://godinguitars.com/product/5th...0-cognac-burst

These seem pretty nice. I've not played one, though.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Yeah, no. Like not at all.

Actually, I flat out dislike the Benedetto sound.

Signed,
Pro archtop player (Heritage 575)

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-29-2021, 09:23 AM

Which Comins model are you getting?
And what amp are you going to be using?

I dabble in jazz guitar playing and always interested in the gear!
Old 03-29-2021, 11:39 PM

After having the Comins for a short time I sold. it, too small a body for me and could not get comfortable with it.
I just a few weeks ago purchased a Heritage 575, it's 21 years old but looks like new. It has the exact tone I was looking for, what in my mind is the traditional Jazz tone. Crazy flamed Maple, all solid wood and made in the USA. I love it, plays like smooth silk with 12/50 flat wounds, everything I was looking and hoping for. Very happy with it. I purchased it from Rich Seversen and he was helpful and good on price.
I am going to get the Quilter 8" amp that Rich uses. Jerry
Old 03-31-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Or John Scofield, for that matter.

I spotted this thread and soon realized it was old, and the die had been cast. But I merely wanted to jump in and say my Ibanez AG95QA is one of my favorite guitars, and ran me a paltry $575. Great fit and finish, ebony fingerboard, six pounds, two pickups (yeah, I know) and one of the nicest sets of tuning keys I've had the pleasure to use. This guitar sits out in ready reach, it's that nice to play!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops