The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-17-2020, 05:29 PM

Default Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze Strings on my Eastman

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I strung my converted Eastman (from a MDC 805 to AR 805) with Ernie Ball aluminum bronze strings (13 - 56) a few months ago.

I'm still really liking the tone. It adds just enough vintage C&W twang/vibe, and the volume is great! It might not be what everyone is after, but overall I prefer the sound over Newtone archtop strings and Martin retro monels. I bought a set of 11's to try on my Altamira Sel-Mac copy too.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:52 AM

Nice to see this discussion - how do you feel they differ from the other options (specifically)?

I have an Eastman 810CE-7 that I play acoustically (I actually took the floating pickup off). When I got it I believe it had pure nickel rounds which seemed very polite and quiet to me. I bought it from a proper jazzer, so that made sense. I wanted something more like a traditional acoustic archtop, and was planning to strum it rather than play fingerstyle "lap piano".

I currently use phosphor bronze rounds - it is tough to find the 7th string but I've located a few options that work. Acoustically it has a hard, loud, and "dry" sound. While a flat top can have a smooth shimmer and fill space behind a vocal, I see this archtop as filling more of an electric guitar role - it punches through with a hard tone that grabs attention on single notes.

I suspect that the X-bracing makes this a little more flat-top like than it might be if it was parallel braced.

I really like the result since 99.9% of the people I play with have flat tops and this provides a compliment that suits my playing well.

-Douglas C.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwave View Post
Nice to see this discussion - how do you feel they differ from the other options (specifically)?
I suspect that the X-bracing makes this a little more flat-top like than it might be if it was parallel braced.
I really like the result since 99.9% of the people I play with have flat tops and this provides a compliment that suits my playing well.

-Douglas C.
Compared to monel strings, the aluminum bronze have more twang; for lack of a better word they sound more harsh, but in a way I like - they really cut through better.

Like most Eastman's I've played, mine sounds more modern - greater sustain, warmer tone, etc. - than a true vintage archtop. The aluminum bronze strings give it more of a vintage tone with a sharp attack, though there is still a lot of sustain. Mine has the two tone bar braces.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops