The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-29-2020, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

Default Who says there's no place for CF on the bluegrass scene???

And this performance took place in 2013....

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-29-2020, 05:45 AM

Sounds great! Love a bit of blue grass!

We actually have a blue grass festival close to us here at the Ulster American Folk Park. I go every year, but was hoping to take along a few emeralds with me this year! Unfortunatly it was canceleld, but always next year!

Its a great little festival in a park with lots of buildings tracing the history of Irish migrants leaving ireland and beginning life in the states.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:38 AM

That looks like a Composite Acoustics Legacy Dread to me, and you see those on stage once in a while. Notice too that the bass is an electric, not the normal upright doghouse bass. (If I were in a band, that is what I would prefer to travel with). The bluegrass purists must be atwitter and agog at such blasphemy. But the band is great!
Old 06-29-2020, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Being played in the video by Tim Stafford, I briefly had a new 2009 Composite Acoustics Tim Stafford Signature Model (original CA company) with Onboard Fishman Aura Preamp. The guitar looked great and sounded really good both acoustically and amplified but as received from the dealer, it was a bear to play for very long. The neck width and profile flared rather quickly and was just too wide higher up the neck, and combined with its rather sharp fretboard edges it proved too uncomfortable for me. It had a good .013" - .015" of neck-relief but with no truss rod, the neck-relief couldn't be adjusted. After about three days of trial, I returned the guitar to the dealer for a refund.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 06-29-2020 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:23 AM

What fun... bass looks cool too... Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-29-2020, 09:30 AM
Guest 928

very nice, thanks for the music.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
What fun... bass looks cool too... Thanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
very nice, thanks for the music.
My pleasure. I've been on a Nitty Gritty Dirt Band listening/playing jag lately and found the chords/lyrics for Blue Ridge Mountain Girl but had never heard the song. I googled it, and that's how I happened to land there...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-29-2020, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
That looks like a Composite Acoustics Legacy Dread to me, and you see those on stage once in a while. Notice too that the bass is an electric, not the normal upright doghouse bass. (If I were in a band, that is what I would prefer to travel with). The bluegrass purists must be atwitter and agog at such blasphemy. But the band is great!
Indeed. Shame that the guitar player was the only one not to take a solo
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-29-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon@Emerald View Post
Sounds great! Love a bit of blue grass!

We actually have a blue grass festival close to us here at the Ulster American Folk Park. I go every year, but was hoping to take along a few emeralds with me this year! Unfortunatly it was canceleld, but always next year!

Its a great little festival in a park with lots of buildings tracing the history of Irish migrants leaving ireland and beginning life in the states.
Simon, if you havenÂ’t already, you should check out Rhiannon Giddens. She isnÂ’t a bluegrass musician per se but plays music in the Americana/Appalachian vein with a particular focus on music with a North Carolina history. SheÂ’s biracial and sheÂ’s divorced from an Irish musician. Because she and her husband have kids together she lives half the year in the US and the other half the year in Ireland (Dublin?). Though she no longer performs music in this particular genre, sheÂ’s a conservatory trained opera singer. She also plays a mean banjo and a mean fiddle and her performances are amazing.

There is also a cellist named Rebecca Roudman. You and Alistair should definitely check her out. She plays cello with a symphony orchestra in California and she also has a side gig with an indie band called “Dirty Cello.” When she’s on the road, for obvious reasons she plays a carbon fiber cello!
Old 06-29-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esimms86 View Post
Simon, if you havenÂ’t already, you should check out
I will certainly look them up! Funny you should mention, i was just talking about how i love the cello! 😂 Maybe its a sign! Although i think we have our hands pretty full with guitars at the moment...

Ive actually been obsessing over ukuleles at the minute outside of work. Ive made a two soprano test ukes... Not something i can see emerald using, more for my own enjoyment. 😂 Maybe ill move onto cello next!
Old 06-29-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon@Emerald View Post
I will certainly look them up! Funny you should mention, i was just talking about how i love the cello! 😂 Maybe its a sign! Although i think we have our hands pretty full with guitars at the moment...

Ive actually been obsessing over ukuleles at the minute outside of work. Ive made a two soprano test ukes... Not something i can see emerald using, more for my own enjoyment. 😂 Maybe ill move onto cello next!
Looks like a little blackbird’s been whispering in your ear!

At least two companies make CF orchestra stringed instruments (e.g., violin, viola, half sized cello, cello and upright bass). I’m sure that folks at Emerald know all about any and all makers of CF instruments but, anyway, here are the links(below). Mezzo-Forte, based in Germany, also produces instruments made out of wood(like McPherson, as known by anyone who would post in this sub forum).

www.luisandclark.com
www.mezzo-forte.de
Old 06-30-2020, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
The Tim Stafford Signature Model, and that's Tim in the video, is indeed a gussied-up, slightly modified version of the Composite Acoustics Legacy Dreadnought. Being played in the video by Tim Stafford, I briefly had a new 2009 Composite Acoustics Tim Stafford Signature Model (original CA company) with Onboard Fishman Aura Preamp. The guitar looked great and sounded really good both acoustically and amplified but as received from the dealer, it was a bear to play for very long. The neck width and profile flared rather quickly and was just too wide higher up the neck, and combined with its rather sharp fretboard edges it proved too uncomfortable for me. It had a good .013" - .015" of neck-relief but with no truss rod, the neck-relief couldn't be adjusted. After about three days of trial, I returned the guitar to the dealer for a refund.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-30-2020, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the correction. I'm not expert on the CA models, since the only one I own is a Cargo. It was only a couple of years ago that I finally figured out that Gx = GA size and Ox = OM body. And now CA is gone.... As for the relief issue and lack of truss rod, the advantage of CF is that however they come out of the mold is how they will stay forever. Good or bad.

Back to the original question, I take my carbon fiber guitars to bluegrass jams all the time. There is one really hard core purist group around here that gives me some sideways glances, but most don't care. (And I don't play with them very often). I hold a steady rhythm and sing well, and that is all that matters to most folks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber