The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-23-2020, 12:09 PM
JParrilla JParrilla is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 111
Default New Guitar Day! First Classical ever

So, my new guitar arrived today thanks to an awesome fellow forum member. 2006 Cordoba Custom Artist. This thing is beautiful. The side and back wood is just so nice. Its my first classical ever and definitely going to take some getting used to. The wide neck is so different, and its so easy to pluck. You can be so much more elegant with your picking hand. Also fretting chords takes such little effort even with the high action.

Time to finally continue my method book with the correct instrument I am expecting to be a bit worse for a while before getting better though.

Hopefully will be uploading some tunes soon




Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-23-2020, 01:07 PM
oldwasichu oldwasichu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Illinois
Posts: 201
Default

Is that a cedar top? Cordoba makes some fine instruments. I think you just got one of them. Enjoy. Youíll get used to the wide neck pretty quickly.
__________________
2008 Takamine EG561c
2009 Yamaha CGX171cca
2009 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Studio EC
2013 Taylor 214
2013 Martin D-17M
2014 Taylor 516e
2014 Taylor GS Mini Hog
2015 Taylor 324e
2015 Taylor 414ce-N
2015 Taylor Custom GA 12 fret
2015 Taylor 612ce 12 fret
2016 Taylor T5 Custom AA koa
2017 Taylor 712ce 12 fret LTD
2018 Taylor K22ce 12 fret LTD AA Koa
2019 Cordoba Master Series Hauser Ltd.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-23-2020, 01:38 PM
JParrilla JParrilla is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwasichu View Post
Is that a cedar top? Cordoba makes some fine instruments. I think you just got one of them. Enjoy. Youíll get used to the wide neck pretty quickly.
Yep, cedar top. Madagascar rosewood body. It's really very beautiful.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-23-2020, 10:23 PM
JParrilla JParrilla is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 111
Default

One thing I did not expect is how long these strings take to stretch. I put a new set on this morning and I have been re-tuning them all day.. with no end in sight
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-24-2020, 07:28 AM
Flamin'Nora Flamin'Nora is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 4
Default

A trick to use with nylon strings to get them to stay in tune is to hold the string around the 15th fret and pull the string away from the fretboard about 2 inches or so and give it a 'wiggle' up and down, then tune back up and repeat until the string stays in tune.
Lovely guitar btw!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-24-2020, 10:41 AM
JParrilla JParrilla is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin'Nora View Post
A trick to use with nylon strings to get them to stay in tune is to hold the string around the 15th fret and pull the string away from the fretboard about 2 inches or so and give it a 'wiggle' up and down, then tune back up and repeat until the string stays in tune.
Lovely guitar btw!
Yes extra stretching has helped. They are still slightly losing tension today but very little. I suspect this will be good to go by tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-24-2020, 10:58 AM
envirodat envirodat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 7
Default

That is a beautiful guitar! I am sure you will quickly adapt to the neck. When you are learning the method book, which do you use?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-24-2020, 11:06 AM
JParrilla JParrilla is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by envirodat View Post
That is a beautiful guitar! I am sure you will quickly adapt to the neck. When you are learning the method book, which do you use?
Thanks!

I have been using Bradford Werners first book over at thisisclassicalguitar.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-24-2020, 11:27 AM
Wrighty's Avatar
Wrighty Wrighty is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Itchen Stoke, UK
Posts: 1,882
Default

My first classical arrived yesterday too! Itís going to be an adventure for sure, and like you I put new strings on today and boy, do they need some stretching!
__________________
Burguet AC-007 (2003 - Cedar/Rosewood)
Webber OM (2009 - Sitka/Sapele)


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-24-2020, 12:03 PM
JParrilla JParrilla is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
My first classical arrived yesterday too! Itís going to be an adventure for sure, and like you I put new strings on today and boy, do they need some stretching!
Awesome congrats! It's quite different. First noticeable thing is the wide fretboard and the ease of fretting/plucking. Very easy on the hands.

And yes the strings will stretch a mile.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-25-2020, 07:34 AM
envirodat envirodat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParrilla View Post
Thanks!

I have been using Bradford Werners first book over at thisisclassicalguitar.com
Thank you for the information. I had lessons when I was 16 to 18 and that was over 40 years ago. I can read music but would like to get back into classical again. I got a used (new to me) Hohner HG-25 and I love the sound. I have been playing what I recall but I want to learn versus fiddling about. I will check it out. Trying to find what will be challenging and help me cover all the basics. Nice to get back to guitar after so many years. I love it and wonder why I was so dumb to get side tracked.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-25-2020, 05:56 PM
JParrilla JParrilla is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by envirodat View Post
Thank you for the information. I had lessons when I was 16 to 18 and that was over 40 years ago. I can read music but would like to get back into classical again. I got a used (new to me) Hohner HG-25 and I love the sound. I have been playing what I recall but I want to learn versus fiddling about. I will check it out. Trying to find what will be challenging and help me cover all the basics. Nice to get back to guitar after so many years. I love it and wonder why I was so dumb to get side tracked.
His site is filled with more info than you could likely ever hope to absorb. Method books, graded repertoire, score collections in various genres, it's all there. Plus he has video lessons free on youtube to pair with almost every written lesson. Many of the books are free and others have very fair prices for PDF download. Well worth it for me. The accompanying videos are a huge bonus. He even does videos to play along with for duets. Highly recommend. If all of it was free I would feel obligated to send him a donation for sure. But I have purchased a few PDFs so far.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-26-2020, 12:50 AM
dosland dosland is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!
Posts: 514
Default

Great looking guitar, I hope it brings you many years of pleasing play! The headstock and tuners are remarkably similar to my 2008 Alhambra, the headstock is exactly identical, makes me wonder if the Muro de Alcoy workshop was making some of the Cordobas in 2006.
__________________
Yamaha Pacifica 512, Yamaha APX6, Alhambra 7c, Taylor 110 (w/upgraded Taylor gold tuners!), Alhambra 7p, Yamaha CS-40, Samick Corsair Pawn-Shop Special Bass
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-26-2020, 05:29 PM
hesson11 hesson11 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 883
Default

Nice guitar! A tuning tip: Be sure to pull the string end as tight as you can before rolling up the tuning rollers. The entire string needs to stretch to become stable, so the less string that's wound around the roller, the faster they will settle in.

I have no proof, but I have read that stretching the string at one point in the method mentioned above may affect intonation. I've also read that it's better to put your finger under the string at the bridge, give it a bit of a tug then run your finger up the fingerboard, gently stretching the entire length of the string along the way. Again, I have no actual proof that either of these statements are absolutely correct. So FWIW.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-27-2020, 09:11 AM
AndreF AndreF is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
Nice guitar! A tuning tip: Be sure to pull the string end as tight as you can before rolling up the tuning rollers. The entire string needs to stretch to become stable, so the less string that's wound around the roller, the faster they will settle in.

I have no proof, but I have read that stretching the string at one point in the method mentioned above may affect intonation. I've also read that it's better to put your finger under the string at the bridge, give it a bit of a tug then run your finger up the fingerboard, gently stretching the entire length of the string along the way. Again, I have no actual proof that either of these statements are absolutely correct. So FWIW.
I have no proof either, but this is the method I use as well, and it has proven to be the most effective.

JP: That is a very fine looking classical guitar. And it looks brand new. Not bad for a 15 year old guitar! I think you scored well.
__________________
Best regards,
Andre
Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=