The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2021, 10:08 AM

Default Vintage Guitar Bargains

I have been getting very interested in Alvarez Yairi guitars from the 80s and early 90s lately. I've had a DY47 for about 8 years and have added a DY91 and DY80 12 string within the past month. I have also read some good things about Yamaha Red and Yellow label guitars from the 70s.

Although I would love a vintage D35 or Gibson Hummingbird I think I may continue to look into other brands that are easier on the wallet.

What are some other brands that made solid guitars in the 70s and 80s that won't cost an arm and a leg?

Thank you

CA
1967 Harmony H162
Very Old Classical
Taylor GC8
Taylor 322ce
1981 Alvarez Yairi DY53
1986 Alvarez Yari DY47
1988 Alvarez Yairi DY80 12 String
1992 Alvarez Yari DY91
1992 Alvarez Yairi WY-1K
Larrivée L-03R 12
Old 05-06-2021, 10:18 AM

I would imagine older Taylors are relatively inexpensive relative to their quality and comparability to Martins and Gibsons from the same time period.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:19 AM

Guild.

Phenomenal value. My favorites were made in the late '60's and early '70's. They got a little heavier after '73.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 05-06-2021, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Many guitars of that era (70's in particular) are considered overbuilt by today's standards - very heavy and tonally a bit dull. IMO, even most Sigmas (by Martin) fall into that category.

That said, as a used guitar junkie, these are some brands I look for:

Yamaha Red Label (though word has gotten out on these a while ago and they have gone up in price)

Nagoya - a pretty rare Mid_Atlantic area house brand but great guitars for the $ only because no one's heard of them

Takamine - pretty reliably decent guitars
Old 05-06-2021, 02:51 PM

I had a really nice Goya dread back in the early 80s. It was probably late-60s/early 70s vintage.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Ditto Guild. Ditto early 70s being the sweet spot. I rebuilt a 70 Guild D 35, neck set, frets, bridge and saddle replaced. I'd say it's worth $1200. On the market, that is. Worth to me is another story. You can still find D 25s, 35s, and 40s out there at reasonable prices. Find a D 25 flat back with some saddle height left for $600-700 and be very happy. A D 55 is a fine guitar, but perhaps out of your target range.

I think a big deal with the imports, is the question mark regarding dovetail glue. Can you say epoxy? So they get the bolt on conversion when needed. I have played some nice ones though.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-06-2021, 03:12 PM

As someone said...Guild all day long. 70s and early 80s Martins can be great if bridge is in the right spot for intonation. I always liked Mossmans back in the 70s also. Occasionally you can find a deal on them.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolarrow View Post
I have been getting very interested in Alvarez Yairi guitars from the 80s and early 90s lately. I've had a DY47 for about 8 years and have added a DY91 and DY80 12 string within the past month. I have also read some good things about Yamaha Red and Yellow label guitars from the 70s.

Although I would love a vintage D35 or Gibson Hummingbird I think I may continue to look into other brands that are easier on the wallet.

What are some other brands that made solid guitars in the 70s and 80s that won't cost an arm and a leg?

Thank you

CA
Man I want a Hummingbird so bad.

Anyway, a very close friend of mine has a Bob Weir Yairi and let me speak on behalf of this guitar, it knocks me out every time I play it on a visit.
You should definitely check that baby out if you like Yairi's which it looks like you do.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:03 PM

Another vote from me for Guild. No bad era, and cheaper than their Martin/Gibson contemporaries but just as good. Along the lines of Mossman, Gurian guitars aren't around too much but those that are are a bargain for how good they are. Michael Gurian was one of the first boutique makers, but got out of the guitar making business (I believe he still makes parts, but hasn't been a luthier for a few decades) before it exploded, so the guitars don't have the reputation they would if he'd stuck it out.
B&J Serenader Round Hole Archtop
Guild F212XL
Bruno Lyra Jumbo
Old 05-06-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephony View Post
Another vote from me for Guild. No bad era, and cheaper than their Martin/Gibson contemporaries but just as good. Along the lines of Mossman, Gurian guitars aren't around too much but those that are are a bargain for how good they are. Michael Gurian was one of the first boutique makers, but got out of the guitar making business (I believe he still makes parts, but hasn't been a luthier for a few decades) before it exploded, so the guitars don't have the reputation they would if he'd stuck it out.
Michael Millard was a part of the Gurian shop before he started Froggy Bottom. Gurian retired a few years ago, and sold the parts-making business to his employees. He lives here in Seattle.
Old 02-07-2022, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

I agreed about the Guilds as welll. You can't go wrong there. The Samick Yairi models from 1989 are just wonderful. They don't get the respect because of the Samick on the headstock but boy, do they sound great.
Old 02-07-2022, 06:46 PM

I won't repeat Guild but another chime in for Mossman. Often reasonably priced for what you get. Great guitars.
Old 02-07-2022, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

I would not call most of what has been discussed vintage. Old Guilds are starting to get there, maybe Hoboken builds are. But if you are bargain hunting old used guitars to play, the early Japanese builders hit the spot. When people are willing to have necks reset, maybe I'll call them vintage guitars.

I played on Taylor #6, a mahogany/spruce dread. It was early 70s from the American Dream shop. That might be collectible. Maybe not affordable though.

Among the many dogs, there are still some 70s Gibsons that are worth a look.60s B 25s (I think) can be great if you can play the skinny necks. I also have a soft spot for Harmony and Kay archtops for no good reason but funky vibe.

In today's market, as far as a quality guitar you could keep. I'd buy a Guild 68-70 D 35 or D 40 as high as $2000. A year or so ago that would have been $1500. I'm talking guitar plus any repairs. That might not be doable as people are asking that for guitars needing work.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 02-07-2022, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

A plug for my Circa ‘78 Hohner HG320 Dread….paid $225 for it in Virginia Beach, VA at a pawn shop in the early 80s…really my first nice guitar….Martin D45 / D35 copy with a three piece back….everyone that plays it is amazed….blows away several Martin D28s / D35s I’ve played in the past….

The higher end Hohners from the late 70s are pretty killer….

This one is very tempting….too big for me these days, but I can tell you this axe sings….

https://reverb.com/item/46726054-hoh...c-guitar-1970s

Electrics
Fender / Fender Amps * TMG

Favorite Gin - Citadelle
Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Favorite Grape - Nebbiolo
Old 02-07-2022, 07:53 PM

LoPrinzi's from the 70's and 80's can be quite nice and are often still affordable. More or less they were a small shop making guitars in the style of Martin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion