The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2021, 07:04 AM

The best concert was Chris Thile in a wonderful hall that seats around 400 in a local college. But he didn't play guitar at that one, so maybe it doesn't count.

I also enjoyed him at Tanglewood with Goat Rodeo, which did have some guitar. That was also an amazing show.

I've seen James Taylor three times and he never disappoints. He always has great musicians.

I caught the tail end of the Milk Carton Kids at a Mostly Bluegrass Festival in San Francisco. We were impressed and saw them at that same college hall a couple of years ago - nice concert.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-05-2021, 07:14 AM

Richard Thompson (best acoustic show I’ve seen, and by a mile)

Rob Ickes

Keola Beamer

All three in Honolulu.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:29 AM

Default Your most memorable acoustic concerts you attended

I got to see Segovia in concert in 1966. Some nice neighbors knew I had a guitar and they had an extra ticket. I was told he was the best guitarist in the world. After hearing him I agreed.
As an old man I can’t remember details, but it is nice to say I heard him play. And I appreciate those neighbors now more than I knew to back then.

Last edited by whvick; 05-05-2021 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:38 AM

There's some pretty stiff competition here!
  • Billy Novick and Guy Van Duser - Club Passim, 1976. This is when I heard Guy Van Duser play "Stars and Stripes Forever" fingerstyle. I was enthralled. Still one of the most amazing guitar moments in my life.
  • EmmyLou Harris - The Music Inn, 1979. I'm pretty sure that she and Townes were onstage together during that performance.
  • The Frank Vignola Trio - several times and always amazing!
  • And Toby Walker - Any concert of Toby's is a treat. Boy, can he play. In Toby's words, "If I'm not exhausted at the end of a show, I didn't do my best."

best,

Rick

Last edited by srick; 05-05-2021 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:38 AM

This post made me realize I have never attended an acoustic concert, by anyone. We had a Mormon Missionary in our house once and he said he played guitar so I brought out a guitar (I think it was my DC15E) and he played a little before I recognized that he was a virtuoso and that I was embarrassingly outclassed. I asked him to wait for me to get my MP3 recorder and I have a recording of his playing. Super impressive. I know that he is an unknown player, but he could easily stand up with and play with anyone, I mean anyone like Tommy Emmanuel, etc. He was that good. Mind blowing.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:27 AM

Richard Thompson and Tommy Emmanuel

Both left me feeling I needed to find a new way to pass my time............
Old 05-05-2021, 08:35 AM

Emmylou Harris and Richard Thompson in one concert!

Also Ralph McTell many years ago. Wonderful concert.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

I saw Leo Kottke at a bar in Dallas in 1973, called Mother Blues. A lot of concert performers would come there after their gig and play for free there. His was scheduled, and it was hard to keep up with those flying fingers, even 10' away from him. Saw him in 2019 as well.

I saw John Denver in a 3,500 seat venue, and it was just he and a bass fiddle player. Probably the cleanest live singing and playing that I have ever heard.

I have seen James Taylor several times when it was just him. Once, he had his Reel to Reel tape deck sitting on a stool, and during Shower the People, the deck would come on with James singing harmonies to the song.

1973 Guild D40 6 string.

1995 Olson SJ
Old 05-05-2021, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Al DiMeola in 1984 -Airto Moirea backing him with various exotic acoustic percussion instruments.Fabulous.

Phil Keaggy

Pete Huttlinger (RIP Pete).I knew him personally.A super human being...
Old 05-05-2021, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Greg Brown, Ani DeFranco, and Gillian Welch and David Rawlins in Duluth, Minnesota, maybe 1999. Anyone else here catch them on that tour?
Old 05-05-2021, 09:01 AM

Steve Goodman (opening for Steve Martin and headling)
John Prine
Bromberg (with the band a few times and solo once)
Arlo (a few times-with his band and solo)
Lightfoot
Leon Redbone
Lyle Lovett (with his Large ban and his acoustic combo)
Andre Segovia (I almost forgot)
John Denver (wasn't a fan, but he did put on a great concert in the round, with an extended solo set)
Earl Scruggs (with the family revue)
Old 05-05-2021, 09:02 AM

Curious - I've spent so much of my life playing acoustic guitars and loving the sound of them and the challenge of learning classic songs with fingerstyle, yet .... I don't think I've ever been to an acoustic guitarist concert in my life, and i almost never listen to solo acoustic guitar music for pleasure. Weird!
Old 05-05-2021, 09:05 AM

I've always been a big jazz fan, so I could go on & on about the greats I've heard- Joe Pass, Tal Farlow, Jim Hall, Bucky Pizzarelli, Harry Leahey, Pat Metheny, John Scofield, and as others have listed, Martin Taylor.

Keeping it acoustic, though, I heard Dave Van Ronk at a blues festival in the Catskills in 2000, he autographed a Fingerstyle Guitar book I still have.

Leo Kottke I heard on a double bill with Tuck & Patti, not as incongruous as you might think.
D'Angelico EXL-1 Excel
John Kinnard Frank Hill archtop
Fender Jazzmaster
Austin Tele
Old 05-05-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddle Dee View Post
Andre Segovia - Vancouver Queen Elizabeth Theatre 1975
Neil Young - Ottawa Civic Centre 1976
John Fahey- San Francisco Great American Music Hall 1977
Ry Cooder - San Diego State U 1978
Doc and Merle Watson, Leon Redbone - Winnipeg Folk Festival 1980

Dates are approximate, best of my foggy recollection
That was one of the best Folk Festival I attended. I saw Leon Redbone at Mariposa that blew me away.

Interesting how many mentions there are of Leo Kottke. Seeing him live was a major influence for me.

For me though, being originally from Ottawa, it has to be Bruce Cockburn. He did a solo performance at Le Hibou (while he was playing with 3's a Crowd) that remains one of the most shiveringly good acoustic performances I have ever seen.

Although Bonnie Raitt solo acoustic - wow o wow.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 05-05-2021, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

I've seen Neil Young play a couple of solo acoustic sets. Lots of guitars on that stage!

Nils Lofgren has a solo or duo acoustic act when he is not touring with Springsteen. Seen that many, many times. He is a great player, uses a thumbpick, lots of harmonics. Says he was nfluenced by Chet, Jimi and Roy Buchanan. He also plays the harp and tap dances at those duo shows--sounds strange but it works, I guess you had to be there

Shawn Mullins kills in the solo or duo acoustic format. One time he played the encore without any vocal or guitar amplification, it was Sunday Morning Coming Down (Kristofferson).

Richard Shindell is wonderful.

James Taylor several times. Really enjoyed his one man band and Carole King collaborations.

Pat Metheny plays some acoustic at his shows, seen him many times.

The Milk Carton kids. Their shtick reminds me of the Smothers Brothers with better chops.

Tommy E.

Richard Smith

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion