The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-28-2021, 03:01 AM

Default Tell me why I should (or should'nt) get a jumbo

When it comes to acoustics, I seem to always prefer OMs. Out of all the guitars I've owned, OMs are the ones that always feels right to me, and the ones I end up keeping. I rather play with my fingers than with a pick, and I find that bigger bodied guitars doesn't open up if you're not drivning them harder than is comfortable for my feeble fingers. I currently own 5 acoustics, but the dread and the archtop are both out on extended loans to family members. The remaining 3 are different flavours of OM.

Last couple of weeks, I've been GASing for a jumbo. Basically the complete opposite to what I usually like to play. Don't know why, I'm just drawn to the look of that huge body.

Is there a reason for me to pull the trigger and go for one? What can I use it for that justify the expense? Or should I just forget about it and save my money for something useful? If I were to play it live I would probably use a pickup, so volume isn't a valid reason.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

You don't need a 17 inch Jumbo like a Gibson or a Guild. You need a 16 inch Martin J model;

Or a GP, like the one on the right.

I have an amazing Martin Custom Shop OM-18 Special. Since I got the first J model, I have to force myself to play it. The J-17 and J-40 give me the bigger, fuller sound of a dread with the quicker notes of the OM. The GP give up some of the bass for a more OM like quickness.

I just got the GP-28e two weeks ago, so I'm still in the ''honeymoon phase'' with it but right now it's getting most of the playing time. With a 4 5/8 depth, it feels ''just right'' to me.

I used to say that my OM was like an 000 that worked out in the gym. The GP and the J bodies are like they not only worked out but also took illegal substances to boot.

Last edited by lowrider; 04-28-2021 at 05:32 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:25 AM

Those Martin J-14 fret guitars are great lowrider, nice collection.

As a jumbo fan I can say pick your model carefully.
They are not all the same.
Your 'I rather play with my fingers than with a pick' caught my attention.
I had a maple Huss & Dalton MJ Custom that was lightly built and would have worked perfectly for you. (Tannin below played it! )
My Gibson SJ-200 would not.
It's a guitar that comes alive with a pick, like flicking a switch... boom!

Check out the Guild F-55 Maple if you get the chance - it looks comfortable with fingers and pick in this clip.

And welcome to the AGF.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 04-28-2021 at 05:33 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:25 AM

To start, I believe the best 12-strings are jumbos. Nothing sounds like a jumbo 12.

That said, I also like a jumbo six.
The first time I picked up a J200 I was expecting it to have a big thumping sound.
Actually, in my hands, it was very even toned. It’s like playing a really loud Grand Auditorium.
It seemed to favor my light touch as well as strumming.
If your shoulder can accommodate the size, you might like it, a lot.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45

Last edited by Oldguy64; 04-28-2021 at 05:38 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:28 AM

Have a look at some Guild jumbos. Guild seems to have the knack of combining that unique jumbo oomph with a clear and detailed high end.
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:01 AM

You say it is the opposite of what you usually want to play - maybe that's the attraction. I have been very happy with my 2 jumbos (one is larger than the other) but to my (only semi-trained) ears, I don't see they are all that different than my OOO or OMs. And they don't feel all that different to play If you are very sensitive to these kind of things, then you may perceive a notable difference that I miss.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:01 AM

Well, I am 5'7" tall and weighs 200 pounds : my belly did not help me with a fantastic Gibson J-100 !

I am at ease on OO, OOO and OM, but Martin's GPCs and Taylors Grand Auditorium (GA/xx4)
are my upper limit as body lower bout is concerned.
I am just at the limit with a deep body Martin OODB.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Default Kopp Trail Boss

here's the one...a Trail Boss by Kevin Kopp.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:27 AM

I’m a lover of sitka+mahogany jumbos. A 1973 Ibanez 754 based on the Gibson Everley Brothers, a 2001 Martin JM from the discontinued road series, and a J12-16GT to complete the set. I love the full sound from jumbos and their ability to retain volume when playing gently
Old 04-28-2021, 06:40 AM

Tell me why I should (or should'nt) get a jumbo

NorthenLights,

I think jumboes are great guitars. Be aware that jumboes are not just large size guitars, but also refer to a shape of guitar. Thus your jumbo may not be the loudest guitar you own or come into playing contact with. I also find many of the Taylor guitar shapes (GC, GA, GS, and GO) are closely related to a jumbo shape. I consider the basic jumbo shape to be the Gibson J-200.

I also find jumboes to be well balanced guitars, which suits my 100% fingerpicking playing style. I use my nails as picks. So I would say by all means, try one out. All my current guitars are 'jumboes' or their shape is jumbo-related. And they are also handsome guitars.

Most of my 6 strings are strung with Elixir PB HD Lights (.013 - .053), which also contribute to a well-balanced sound. Incidentally, my Taylor 818e Grand Orchestra is the loudest 6 string I own, and has plenty of bass to spare even with that gauge. My favorite wood combination is spruce over rosewood, and all my Taylors are X-braced models. And the Grand Orchestra is their replacement for a jumbo in the Taylor line-up.

So I do recommend a jumbo. Go forth and check them out. Good luck and good hunting.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 04-28-2021 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Being a dread guy I've owned a couple SJ's and one true jumbo. ...an SJ-200. I like them initially as they can compete with a dread in most cases. I find after a while I miss the snap of a dread that the jumbo can't deliver for me. At least the ones I've owned. There seems to be a smoothness to their response that draws me in and at the same time alienates me down the road. I can't explain it. But I find I'm looking at one and reminding myself it won't last. So I'm better off forgetting about it.
Your experience might be completely different. Just my perspective on the issue...which combined with several dollars might get you a cup of coffee?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-28-2021, 07:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

I probably shouldn't comment as I am not a guitar player but, yet, here I am.

I'm the listener in our shop. I hear comments from those who are seeking something different and then I keep those comments in mind when sizing a "fit" of all desired guitar sizes.

PRO: Great sound comes from a jumbo but ...
CON: the typical comment concerns the discomfort as the jumbo which often rubs the underside of the arm. The bruising becomes miserably tender. In rapid time the guitar often becomes known more as their Living room furniture art.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

I recently played a Gibson 1934 Jumbo Historic at my local music store that absolutely blew my mind...and it was the complete antithesis of what I have deemed as "comfortable" in the size/shape of a guitar.

It was a huge guitar, with a deep body and a "baseball bat" neck thickness. But, for some reason...it just felt great and sounded amazing. I was astounded at how well this beast fit me. Had I been able to have afforded it...I would have gone home with it, no doubt.

Last edited by TDavis; 04-28-2021 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Default To J or not to J

I have 2 Martin Jumbos, a J-40 and a grand J-35 (17 inch bout).
Both are spruce over rosewood.
I have tried and owned a number of other guitars, smaller OM sizes, and I have kept a 000, and a couple 00 sized acoustics.
Jumbo’s are big, particularly the 17 inch bout varieties. so that takes getting used to. I don’t think it is a hard to get used to as say a satin finish or a too wide neck, but it’s an adjustment.
I believe that the narrow waist is waaay more comfortable than any dread that I’ve played. I’ve tried three or four dreads in my time and none of them stick. Their tone pales in comparison and I vastly prefer the narrow waist of the J.
Nothing to my ears sound better than the J-40.
The GJ-35 is a little more balanced eq than the 40, but I like the sonic hug of fat bass tone.
As some have noted, I think the key difference in tone can thank in part the 4 7/8 depth.
I am a fan of the deep body.
I play with fingers, flat pick some and strum some and there isn’t something that the little guitars can do that the jumbos can’t.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthenLights View Post
When it comes to acoustics, I seem to always prefer OMs. Out of all the guitars I've owned, OMs are the ones that always feels right to me, and the ones I end up keeping. I rather play with my fingers than with a pick, and I find that bigger bodied guitars doesn't open up if you're not drivning them harder than is comfortable for my feeble fingers....

This would probably be one of the better arguments against.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion