The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2021, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCity View Post
Is the recommendation for the 12-string variety because the 6-string one is too small for some acoustics? I’ve been a bit unhappy with my cheapo capo, and been thinking about making the “leap” (all of $20 lol) to a Shubb, but I’ve seen a couple comments about the 12-string models bro by better that have given me pause.
As long as it fits you're guitar the 12 string model is no better, otherwise. I do recommend the new model:

https://shubb.com/product/standard-capo-c1/

It uses the roller:

https://shubb.com/dropoff/

From their FAQ:

My guitar has a 1-3/4” nut. Should I get a model 1, or a model 3?

Nut width is not the whole story. Two guitar necks that are the same width at the nut might not be the same width higher up the neck, where the capo is used.

Measure the span of the strings at the highest fret where you would use the capo. If it is less than two inches, then a model 1 will work. But if it is very close to two inches, it will require careful placement, and you might be happier with a model 3.

In the case of a FineTune capo, the F1’s opening is 1-15/16″ wide. If the neck is smaller than that (at the highest fret you would capo), then F1 will fit. If not, use the F3.

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-05-2021 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
As long as it fits you're guitar the 12 string model is no better, otherwise. I do recommend the new model:

https://shubb.com/product/standard-capo-c1/

It uses the roller:

https://shubb.com/dropoff/

From their FAQ:

My guitar has a 1-3/4” nut. Should I get a model 1, or a model 3?

Nut width is not the whole story. Two guitar necks that are the same width at the nut might not be the same width higher up the neck, where the capo is used.

Measure the span of the strings at the highest fret where you would use the capo. If it is less than two inches, then a model 1 will work. But if it is very close to two inches, it will require careful placement, and you might be happier with a model 3.

In the case of a FineTune capo, the F1’s opening is 1-15/16″ wide. If the neck is smaller than that (at the highest fret you would capo), then F1 will fit. If not, use the F3.
Thank you. This is extremely helpful. I didn’t see anything anywhere near this practical or direct on Shubb’s website. I really appreciate it.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

I've tried all the usual suspects over the years, I've always come back to the Shubb. These days, I don't even look at new capos from other manufacturers.

SHUBB FOREVER!
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-05-2021, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

For accompaniment playing, I think the Shubb Deluxe is probably the most practical and most functional capo on the market. I pretty much use my Shubb capos all the time now since I play instrumental pieces so rarely anymore.

- Glenn
Old 05-05-2021, 11:54 PM

I had a gift voucher last year for a guitar shop online and I bought some fancy capos, but I had a little left to spend and saw this new "Shubb Capo Royale".

https://shubb.com/product/capo-royale-c1g/

The others that I bought are OK but this is great for (Me). Shubb capos are the only ones that let me do a 'blues bend' with the string returning to zero!

BluesKing777.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:24 AM

Yeah, those new gold capos from Shubb are great - I have two guitars with gold tuners, and two Capo Royales to go with them. They're flashy but elegant.

whm
Old 05-06-2021, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Yeah, those new gold capos from Shubb are great - I have two guitars with gold tuners, and two Capo Royales to go with them. They're flashy but elegant.

whm

A big gold chain on your neck and a big gold ring?

The Capo Royale also looks great on natural finish guitars like a Gibson J50. Just took it off mine!

I haven’t measured it but they could be a hair bigger than the standard? It is most certainly bigger than my Capo Noir Shubb....(all black).

What happened to my old piano player (Rhodes) - he would test your tuning! A guitar can go way out of tune in a gig while the electric piano.......nope.

BluesKing777.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:05 PM

I have a few Shubb Deluxe capos including the 12 string capo. They're my favorite.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:31 PM

Those Shubb Capo Royal look nice, both finishes. Now you've done it, I was so happy with my Shubb Delux
Old 05-06-2021, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

I have one of those elastic strap capos in each one of my guitar cases "just in case". I haven't had to use on yet, but if I'm in a bind at a gig they're there and they don't take up much room.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-09-2021, 12:11 AM

Whoa! You just posted the exact same capos and progression I went through!

Love the Shubb and the fun adjustable screw!
Old 05-09-2021, 03:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post

Ahhh.... I have lost so many of those Shubb capos over the years. I use the cheaper end yoke capos now and they permanently live on my guitar's nut. Are they better? Possibly. Do they get lost? Not yet!!!!

My present song set capos at every fret between the nut and the 7th and I find using a Shubb a PITAS to continually adjust for the neck profile changes compared to a simple yoke capo (I have the D'Addario and Paige ones). The Shubb is always too tight or too loose for where I'm going next. I think, for me, having to release the capo and guess the adjustment of the tension is the main PITAS with the Shubb, whereas the tension screw on a yoke capo you can micro adjust in place.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion