The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-06-2021, 01:41 PM

Default Wrist injury ..

I been playing all my life and recently been having some wrist soreness when reaching for certain chords or notes (lil finger stretched out etc.) No biggie as I've had all sorts of lil owies you learn to deal with, usually take a few days off and I'm all good. Today woke up and grabbed a cup of coffee and youch, it hurt. It's in the outside of left hand wrist. It's not a dull throbbing pain or anything but it's a sharp pain like the joint is not gonna do that anymore.
I'm not messing around with this, so I have a Doc apointment tommorow. Has anyone experienced this before? I been playin alot lately and gettin ready to get back out playing in front of people and now this happens, wth....Thanks...

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-06-2021 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 05-06-2021, 02:30 PM

Yes, I have pain sometimes on the outside part of my hand next, on the pinky side, below the pinky. I work in IT and I think it's related to all the time I spent on the keyboard over the past 30 years.

I had it a couple of weeks ago when I played my Flying V. I only played it for 5 minutes and I had some pain so I stopped playing. I woke up in the middle of the night and I could still feel it. The next morning I put on my metacarpal wrist brace and it felt better.

If I'm using a strap, I find that if I play the guitar with the strap higher it alleviates the pain (I'll have to adjust the strap on my V).

Smart move to see the doctor. Let us know how it goes and good luck!
Old 05-06-2021, 02:41 PM

Good on you going to the doctors. Wrists are tricky. Doc is the first step to getting physical therapy. This is dating myself, but I had a wrist that would feel like I had just been shot if I forgot and tried to wind up or down a car window. A little different from you in that it was from a specific injury.

But yeah. I learned a lot about my wrists and myself. Took a long time to get back to normal-ish. Are you over-weight by any chance? I was, and believe it or not pushing off to help yourself get up, like from bed can contribute, and certainly prolong recovery if you don't pay attention to using the wrist like that.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:46 AM

So the Doc did xrays and didn't see anything and said there my be a small fracture in there but couldnt tell, good news. But more likely some kind of tendonitis and so I should go to some kind of physical therapy and not play for a few weeks, grr. So thats the next step. Man I can usually work/play my way through these things but at this point, I'll do what the Doc says.
Old 05-07-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin View Post
So the Doc did xrays and didn't see anything and said there my be a small fracture in there but couldnt tell, good news. But more likely some kind of tendonitis and so I should go to some kind of physical therapy and not play for a few weeks, grr. So thats the next step. Man I can usually work/play my way through these things but at this point, I'll do what the Doc says.
Great advice to follow. If you can't play perhaps you can read some guitar books.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic