The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-20-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I really wish it would use either batter power, or better yet be powered from phantom power (like my Tech21 SansAmp).

I would have bought one of these already if it wasn’t for the fact that to use it I would have to string a power adapter and extension cord across the floor. I like everything else about it.
Hi,

I work for Tech 21. The reason the Acoustic FlyRig does not operate via phantom power or battery has to do with the current draw of the pedal. Because there is a DSP chip for the Delay/Chorus and Reverb, phantom power would not not provide enough current and a battery would not last very long.

If you ever have any questions or need help with our products please contact us directly at:

Tech 21 USA, Inc.
Tel: 973-777-6996

Email: [email protected]
Old 05-20-2020, 09:30 AM

While I haven't used that specific product, I've had several Tech 21 NYC products (Trademark 10 and 60 amps, FlyRig RK5) and can attest that they are all built to an extremely high level of quality. Oh - and they are also built in the US, something that isn't necessarily so easy to find these days!

I am intrigued by the FlyRig Acoustic, but given that I rarely, if ever, perform live these days it's something I don't really need at this particularly time. I have used the RK5 to add a bit of tone-shaping and reverb on acoustic.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:15 AM

just ordered one of these and will post my thoughts soon. Anyone gigging with this as their multi effects pedal?
Old 05-05-2021, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

I tried one and wanted to like it because of the form factor but I found that the tuner would make a popping sound and the switches were so close together that I found it hard to use while singing.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I tried one and wanted to like it because of the form factor but I found that the tuner would make a popping sound and the switches were so close together that I found it hard to use while singing.
I didn’t have an issue with the tuner popping but the switches being so close together was a pain for me also.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 05-05-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
just ordered one of these and will post my thoughts soon. Anyone gigging with this as their multi effects pedal?
I gigged with one. I agree the switches are pretty cramped but as I recall the only ones I need to hit on the fly are boost and sometimes delay; some practice will get you there. I don't recall any actual problems using it live.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:30 PM

Ditto on the switch problem, but I used the compressor for solo boost and that one is on the end and no problem to hit.

I did once hit the headphone/instrument level switch by accident at a restaurant gig and filled the place with howling feedback...

Prior to my infatuation with IRs I thought it was a pretty complete and good quality solution.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-05-2021, 01:46 PM

I use a Flyrig for regular practice and the footswitches are not hard for me to manage. I did use to teach people how to kick each other for a living though....

The quality and functionality of the pedal are huge for me. I would prefer Tremolo over delay, but that's just me - I just add one into the effects loop.

As soon as we start gigging again I will be buying the acoustic one. Very impressed with the feel of the switches and sturdiness of the unit.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-05-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Just got it today. No popping sound from the tuner and it works fine. Yes the switches are small and close together, but there's really no reason for me to be adjusting anything much after it's set up.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Hi,

I work for Tech 21. The reason the Acoustic FlyRig does not operate via phantom power or battery has to do with the current draw of the pedal. Because there is a DSP chip for the Delay/Chorus and Reverb, phantom power would not not provide enough current and a battery would not last very long.

If you ever have any questions or need help with our products please contact us directly at:

Tech 21 USA, Inc.
Tel: 973-777-6996

Email: [email protected]
I'm curious why DSP effects should be a problem for battery power? I have a Roland Cube EX with dual 8" drivers, DSP reverb, chorus, delay and will run for several hours on 8 AA batteries. The Cube EX is a LOUD amp, not simply a pedal. Is there another reason why the Tech 21 product couldn't have been made to be battery powered?

If it's simply a case of not going that direction with the product there's nothing wrong with that, but DSP isn't going to limit the ability to use battery power, at least Roland doesn't find it to be a problem.

Last edited by Rudy4; 05-05-2021 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I'm curious why DSP effects should be a problem for battery power? I have a Roland Cube EX with dual 8" drivers, DSP reverb, chorus, delay and will run for several hours on 8 AA batteries. The Cube EX is a LOUD amp, not simply a pedal. Is there another reason why the Tech 21 product couldn't have been made to be battery powered?

If it's simply a case of not going that direction with the product there's nothing wrong with that, but DSP isn't going to limit the ability to use battery power, at least Roland doesn't find it to be a problem.
You can run it on batteries, if you want to anti up the 8-AAs as a 9v is not going to cut it for long. This will also work right now and be easily rechargeable:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-05-2021, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Just got it today. No popping sound from the tuner and it works fine. Yes the switches are small and close together, but there's really no reason for me to be adjusting anything much after it's set up.
Would love to hear your impressions after you've had a chance to mess with it Jack.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:10 AM

Impedence matching? K&K mini for example?
Old 05-06-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
You can run it on batteries, if you want to anti up the 8-AAs as a 9v is not going to cut it for long. This will also work right now and be easily rechargeable:

I use a similar unit for mine and wouldn't have known that something like this even existed without Jons help. It works great and lasts for a week or two without recharging, no problem. No wall wort worries now and minimal extra spaghetti on the floor.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-06-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyson View Post
Impedence matching? K&K mini for example?
It’s a 1mohm impedance- perfect for K&K

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification