The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-05-2021, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Not quite the same model but maybe like this?

I'm interested in a purely acoustic archtop. That one sounds good electric, through an amp. I need to hear the unamplified sound. I want something LOUD with classic archtop tone for acoustic jams

Last edited by lat18; 05-05-2021 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat18 View Post
I'm interested in a purely acoustic archtop. That one sounds good electric, through an amp. I need to hear the unamplified sound. I want something LOUD with classic archtop tone for acoustic jams
Unfortunately this was the only video I could find of the Fibertone NC17 all-acoustic - guy's fingerpicking and using electric strings which kills a lot of the volume/tone, but it'll give you an idea:

- and here's an unplugged sample of their travel guitar, probably a 15" or 16" (again with thin strings, but the tonal potential is definitely there - and if this is what the small-body sounds like, that NC17 must be a real monster when you lay into it):

Old 05-05-2021, 11:25 PM

I like the look of the unidirectional carbonon those Fibertone guitars. Reverb seems to have pricing: https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=fibertone
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-06-2021, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat18 View Post
Maybe I have never played the right archtops for that, but in my experience they don't produce as much volume as true acoustic guitars due to the construction of the top.

I wouldn't mind to be proven wrong though.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 05-06-2021, 04:52 AM
Charter Member

OUT FOR DELIVERY. I'd been eying this very special V-JM1100N2 Rainsong that Ted has had listed for a while, and bought it for myself for my 71st birthday....
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Oh man, RP, I think you are gonna love this one - my Nashville jumbo is a sibling to this one. Please post a full report when you get a chance! Many congrats.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 05-06-2021, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
Oh man, RP, I think you are gonna love this one - my Nashville jumbo is a sibling to this one. Please post a full report when you get a chance! Many congrats.
Thanks Bone. It just arrived, and I really, really like it. UPS came earlier in the day than usual, and I've only had a few minutes to play it. My best comparison would be to my former Emerald X30, but that really isn't a good comparison. In my mind (and ears), the X30 was more of a niche guitar, and I had a hard time working it's "boominess" into the kind of music I like to play. At heart I'm a Taylor fan which is to say that I prefer a little brightness in my guitars. The Rainsong Jumbo is fuller, somewhat louder and has incrementally more bass than my Rainsong V-DR1100N2 which it turns out is probably a better comparison. I love my V-DR, but the V-JM has a couple of ounces more of the tone I like with its extra dollop of volume, bass and resonance. And as boneuphtoner said, it plays and sounds great whether strummed or played finger style. On a purely aesthetic level, I like Rainsong's Vintage top over the Nashville burst, and I've yet to see another Vintage top on a Rainsong Jumbo - it's as if Ted ordered it just for me for my 71st birthday....
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 05-06-2021 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
OUT FOR DELIVERY. I'd been eying this very special V-JM1100N2 Rainsong that Ted has had listed for a while, and bought it for myself for my 71st birthday....
Congratulations! How many more birthdays are you having this year?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-06-2021, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

That's so awesome, many congrats RP - yeah, I haven't seen any of the vintage tops on jumbos before and I don't know why Rainsong emphasizes the burst on certain sizes and the vintage top on others - I agree with you that it appears this was meant to be!
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 05-06-2021, 12:34 PM

Congrats RP- those RainSong Jumbos sound really nice (although I played the early N1 version).

RainSong is doing some nice work iMO. I love the new Nashville Shawty- pickguard comes off if it were coming to me but nevertheless...

Old 05-06-2021, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Congratulations! How many more birthdays are you having this year?
Thanks for my chuckle of the day. It's next Tuesday, and it should be the last one for '21....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-06-2021, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Congrats!! I had considered the dread, but wanted a cutaway. This should be a blast!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-06-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Unfortunately this was the only video I could find of the Fibertone NC17 all-acoustic - guy's fingerpicking and using electric strings which kills a lot of the volume/tone, but it'll give you an idea:

- and here's an unplugged sample of their travel guitar, probably a 15" or 16" (again with thin strings, but the tonal potential is definitely there - and if this is what the small-body sounds like, that NC17 must be a real monster when you lay into it):

Thanks. I had seen that vid some time ago of the NC-17 and forgotten about it. It does give some idea of the sound, though I play mostly jazz chords up the neck with a flat pick, so not an ideal demo for me. And I always get chuckle out of that guy. He looks so stoned! The 15" travel guitar demo is better for me, sounds pretty good.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Maybe I have never played the right archtops for that, but in my experience they don't produce as much volume as true acoustic guitars due to the construction of the top.

I wouldn't mind to be proven wrong though.
The old 20's and 30's Gibsons and Epiphones were designed to play in jazz bands, mostly (or perhaps only) as rhythm guitars. They didn't have pick-ups then and they had to be loud and cutting. I have a Loar LH-700, a Chinese copy of a late 20's Gibson L-5. I like it a lot, but I don't take it out of the house much. I've been wanting a carbon archtop with similar sound plus all the advantages of carbon for acoustic outdoor jams at festivals, etc. Right now I use my Rainsong which is pretty loud and bright.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber