The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-01-2017, 01:55 PM

Glad you found something that works for you. Nylon string guitars are certainly different beasts, compared to steel string acoustic guitars. Nylon is not an inherently resonance inducing material. It’s elasticity is troublesome, especially with new strings. They force you to have to learn to play with a very minimal left hand pressure, and precision in your finger placement. A heavy fretting hand will detrimentally affect the pitch of the strings. I struggle horribly with that part with my ham fisted playing approach. Enjoy the new adventure, Sir!
Old 12-12-2017, 06:32 PM

Sounds like you have a good instrument to really get you going into the world of nylon. If it was me, for the next while I would play as much as possible, getting very comfortable with the different approach to the instrument, while overlooking some of the shortcomings in tone/balance of your current guitar. It doesn't take too long, you are probably well on your way now.

Once you feel that a higher end guitar is desired/required, you may have to travel to a store that has many options to try, especially if you are looking to avoid lots of shipping and returns.

Finding a good nylon string store is a challenge. Even here in Vancouver I can't think of a store that stocks enough nylon string guitars of note to warrant a visit in person. The 12th Fret in Toronto is the largest one-stop option I can think of in Canada (but I welcome someone correcting me).

The other option is luthier made but again, no chance to try before buying.

Enjoy
Rob
Old 12-25-2017, 07:40 AM

This was a fantastic thread. Thank you so much. I am jones-ing for a classical for my own form of pseudo-Lenny Breau playing and the La Petrie cutaway sounds very nice to me in the store, the NTX by Yamaha, not so much

This discussion helped me immensely. Thanks to everyone who helped out. I feel much better about making a purchase decision now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical