The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-13-2015, 01:17 PM
Guitar Gourmet

The bassists in a couple of bands I was in played Rick 4001s. Whenever I trade off to bass on a song with those bands that's what I played. I loved them and have often wanted a 4001 for myself. Quite the admission price, though.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-13-2015, 02:59 PM

Last I checked, Bob, a little under $2K street price - not exactly pocket change, but in the same ballpark as a Fender American Vintage, Music Man, Gibson T-Bird, or Ibanez Prestige. Been kicking around the idea myself for a few years now - a Mapleglo with LaBella flats for that Sgt. Pepper tone...
Old 11-14-2015, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Not sure if they also played Ricky's like SYNDICATE OF SOUND, but they sure did a GREAT live cover of "Hey Little Girl". Meet THE DEAD BOYS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sWbyDRfRGg

Bill
I was in a band many years ago that shared a rehearsal space with them!
Old 11-14-2015, 12:31 AM

I have had a few Rick guitars and a lot more Rick basses. I am down to just a few Rick basses these days.

Past Rick guitars:

'04 660/12 (MG)
'98 360V64 (FG)
'07 660 75th Anniversary (DCM)
'01 730/12L (MG)
'67 330 (FG)

I have played a whole lot of others over the years (from late '50s to present day vintage), too.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
like the recently-recovered J-160E the first 325 was stolen, and has yet to resurface.[/LIST]
This is incorrect, Yoko still owns John's original (and likely his second) 325. It's pictured on pp. 42-3 of Beatles Gear (rev. ed.) in its refinished again natural state with the what look like Tele knobs, and a new white pickguard. When John played it, it always had the big stove-top knobs, and the gold pickguard.

Also the resurfaced Gibson that just sold at auction, was actually stolen as "George's" because at some point he and John mixed them up. So the auctioned one was indeed John's original, but soon switched with George, and stolen under his care. George's original is also still in Yoko's possession, having been stripped by John and then adorned with his sharpie artwork depicting Yoko and himself.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupy1957 View Post
Steve DeRosa said, "..........one of two produced for Brian Epstein.........."

I want to tap into that for just a moment. I can imagine Brian Epstein being asked by "the boys" to make arrangements for the building of guitars to their own liking and specifications. Is that what we are saying here? What do we know about that end of things?

What can be learned about the specifications or requirements that were typical of "the boys" in those days? What were they looking for in sound, electronics, etc.??

I find it interesting that although Brian was the "Manager" to whom they might relegate various tasks, that they (the "boys") wouldn't go themselves (or bring in) to guitar manufacturers, to talk to them directly about their ideas for design and performance. That they entrusted Brian with that, seems like a stretch.

-Soupy
Sorry to hijak, but this is all pretty much covered throughout the Beatles Gear book too. From my readings of this source and others online (there's a great website about Ringo's drums), the "boys" were not knowledgable or sophisticated enough to even have "specifications or requirements" about their instruments, other than they be "cool looking" (or sim. to what they'd seen other successful artists play, e.g. the Gibson acoustics, or the Country Gent) of good quality, and preferably American. "This pickup, that pickup, this tailpiece, that neck radius..." ALL would have been Greek to them at the time.

Remember, we're all looking at this through our "2015, guitar geeks who spend waaaay too much time on internet forums, learning about and debating all the minutiae of technical details" eyes. In 1963-4, these were still kids who really had no idea of anything technical, including how influential they would become, and the fact that 50 years hence, weirdo's like us would be discussing their preferences.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:53 AM
Guitar Gourmet

The Beatles also went through several guitars. A local guy had one of John's Ricks a few years ago. I actually got to lay a hand on it, though not play it.

Bob

Old 11-14-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italuke View Post
...Yoko still owns John's original (and likely his second) 325...When John played it, it always had the big stove-top knobs, and the gold pickguard...
Thanks for the info on its current whereabouts; BTW, here's a photo from the first Ed Sullivan appearance in February '64, clearly showing the Tele-style knobs:

There's also at least one shot from the mid-1963 "collarless-suit" days with the same configuration; TMK the stovetop knobs were replaced when the guitar was refinished, and if there are any photos showing them on the black/Bigsby/gold PG guitar I'd be very curious to see them...
Old 11-14-2015, 02:32 PM

Ah yes, you're right, even I'm fuzzy before the coffee kicks in...the "Tele" knobs were on it then...stovetop = original natural finish. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
...here's a photo from the first Ed Sullivan appearance in February '64, clearly showing the Tele-style knobs:

There's also at least one shot from the mid-1963 "collarless-suit" days with the same configuration; TMK the stovetop knobs were replaced when the guitar was refinished, and if there are any photos showing them on the black/Bigsby/gold PG guitar I'd be very curious to see them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italuke View Post
Ah yes, you're right, even I'm fuzzy before the coffee kicks in...the "Tele" knobs were on it then...stovetop = original natural finish. Thanks!
Those are not Tele style knobs. I don't recall the maker of them but the knobs have a dished, concave top surface to them, not flat or domed like typical metal "Tele" knobs.

http://archives.rickresource.com/old...ments/1251.jpg
Old 01-13-2018, 07:11 PM

I investigating adding a RIC to my collection. Thinking a 325 -6 or a 12 string. Have a Martin D28-12 and wonder how the Ric 12 string would compare?
I do enjoy the 12 strings but a six seems more flexible.
Just play at home and a few open mic nights.
Really love Gorge Harrison and play a lot of his songs so it seems fitting to play on a Ric but which one?
Old 01-13-2018, 07:16 PM

A Ric and a Vox - a match made in heaven...

Old 01-14-2018, 06:08 AM

Hey Beachrunner which model is in the photo?
Ever play a Ric 12 string and how did you enjoy it vs a six?
Old 01-14-2018, 08:07 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I never did for five reasons:

I wasn't playing during the British Invasion where the Beatles were using them and I didn't really have much nostalgia for them.

The New Wave movement came in and everyone moved to Ricks. I sensed something that was later admitted by the proponents: this was an anti-virtuosity, anti-proficiency movement, rebelling against everything I was attempting to accomplish. In response, I rebelled against Ricks!

Eventually a friend got a Rick and I tried the neck. I didn't like the feel.

By contrast, I loved the Rick 4001 and 4003 basses and even played some in bands I worked in but they were always too expensive for me to casually purchase.

I also love the pre-war Rick B6 "panda" lap steel guitars with the 1.5" pickup magnets but they have classically been too expensive to throw down on.

Bob

Old 01-14-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbike View Post
Hey Beachrunner which model is in the photo?
Ever play a Ric 12 string and how did you enjoy it vs a six?
That's my 2015 Fireglo 360/6.

Yes, I've played Ric 12-strings (the 360/12), and getting one is definitely on my to-do list..

Some guys have problems with the necks on the 12's - they say they're too thin - but the 360/12's that I've played feel great to me. As always, YMMV, but I'd say try one out at least, if you're in the market..

There is also the 330/12 - I believe it has the same size neck as the 360/12.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars