The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-05-2018, 05:58 PM

Default Schecter guitars?

Anyone like Schecter guitars? I bought a couple 10 years ago. The C1-Classic (with vine inlay and JB/Jazz) and the C1-Classic which I put EMG 81/85s in. I gigged both of them for about 6 months each.

I think they advertise more to the metal / hard rock crowd but they do make well built, solid, playable guitars. Not a vintage vibe though.

In my area you can't find them in any of the guitar stores.

Have you ever played one?
Old 01-05-2018, 06:58 PM

Way back Schecter Teles were ripping guitars. They were usually equipped with two hot humbuckers and made great no-frills R&R machines. Of course, Pete Townshend was an icon driving those BEAUTIFUL HiWatts with one.

When they began to take on an ESP/Kramer/Jackson metal look I lost interest, but they were still good guitars.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF View Post
Way back Schecter Teles were ripping guitars. They were usually equipped with two hot humbuckers and made great no-frills R&R machines. Of course, Pete Townshend was an icon driving those BEAUTIFUL HiWatts with one.

When they began to take on an ESP/Kramer/Jackson metal look I lost interest, but they were still good guitars.
Did Townsend play Schecters at one point? I know Schecter started out as a parts company before moving onto guitars.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:13 PM

Townshend was the preeminent player of Schecter in the company's early days. They and Mighty Mite made excellent quality parts, and Schecter built Pete some single-and double-bound Teles. I'm not sure which pickups they used.

If you have Ralph Denyer's excellent book, "The Guitar Handbook", there was a picture of Pete windmilling a black double-bound Tele in front of a wall of HiWatts.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:58 PM

I'm a big fan of the early stuff - the "quality" parts stuff and the early, pre-Texas guitars.

[IMG]IMG_0133 by Louie Atienza, on Flickr[/IMG]

The origins of the body are unknown - it's either very early Schecter or Mighty Mite (the rear control cavities are actually Gibson-shaped) and every single piece of hardware seems to be brass (including control cavity covers and neck plate.) No markings on body. The neck is a Schecter, and has serial number 526 stamped. I also owned a Schecter neck serial 042, and they were both rosewood, as this body.

[IMG]scn2 by Louie Atienza, on Flickr[/IMG]

Still have a nice stained swamp ash Schecter body, which I paired a Boogie Bodies neck with. Gotta find the pics. But the old Schecter bodies were beautifully made, and the contours like the tummy and arm cuts were smoothed in, not with the harder edges of the later guitars.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF View Post
Townshend was the preeminent player of Schecter in the company's early days. They and Mighty Mite made excellent quality parts, and Schecter built Pete some single-and double-bound Teles. I'm not sure which pickups they used.

If you have Ralph Denyer's excellent book, "The Guitar Handbook", there was a picture of Pete windmilling a black double-bound Tele in front of a wall of HiWatts.
Great rock history.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:48 AM

If I remember correctly Mark Knopfler was also a player of Schecter guitars when they were still doing “conventional” guitars. It may well be that Knopfler’s guitar (or guitars) was made from parts rather than already assembled but my memory is rather vague on this. The only Schecter I ever played was a set neck super Strat belonging to a friend of mine (he sold it later as it wasn’t really his style being more of a blues and rock n roll man). It was a fine guitar, lovely to play and sounded great but not my style either if I’m honest - bit like my Ibby RG350mdx which is a heck of a player but too metal for my taste!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-16-2018, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

A friend who used to work at Guitar Center once told me the Schecter guitars were real sleepers, as he put it. He said they were great value for money and made pretty well.

Looking at the Schecters my local store carried though, they all looked like they wanted to attract headbangers, not 60+ year old men.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratokatsu View Post
A friend who used to work at Guitar Center once told me the Schecter guitars were real sleepers, as he put it. He said they were great value for money and made pretty well.

Looking at the Schecters my local store carried though, they all looked like they wanted to attract headbangers, not 60+ year old men.
Yep, Schecter tends to attract the metal crowd. A lot of their artist endorsements are metal as well.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:31 PM

Old 01-18-2018, 01:40 AM

Great guitars, great guys, Jonny Indovina of Human Drama works with them in the upper management, they have a great team and lots of great players as endorsers.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:36 PM

Horse, great pic! Les Paul, SG, and a Schecter (is that a Diamond series)? JMP too.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:42 PM

I had a Schecter "Diamond Series" PT that was a straight-forward, black double-bound tele clone containing two hot HB pickups with a push/pull tone control for coil-splitting. It was a great player, looked cool, sounded amazing, but weighed as much as a Norlin Les Paul, so out the door it went...
Old 01-18-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Horse, great pic! Les Paul, SG, and a Schecter (is that a Diamond series)? JMP too.
Yes. I think I’ve had it for about 10 years it’s a fantastic guitar.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:14 PM

Schecter.... It even sounds like the name of a metal band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars