The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-14-2020, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
One clarification: I have no illusion of finding the ultimate grail guitar, I just want something that is good or great for all scenarios with still with a bit of character.

Maybe watches or cars weren’t good analogies, but let’s compare it to photography. For example, there are lots of 50mm prime lenses, everyone makes one. I am looking for suggestions to find that Leica Summilux-M 50/1.4 ASPH or Canon RF 50/1.2L, if you will.

I know I have to try them all, but I am seeking advice on what you guys like to play and why.

Cheers
OK thats a bit different than what you first said.
But actually analogies to cars or cameras are kinda useless. Because a guitar no matter the specs is far to personal

To answer about advice on what we play and why is easy.

I like Taylor and Breedlove , because the ones I have played and like, are outstanding in detail and overall tone, and superb in playability.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-14-2020 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I know I have to try them all, but I am seeking advice on what you guys like to play and why
I play a Larrivee OM-03 with Silver Oak back and sides.

Various reasons for that.

1 The neck on that guitar is incredible. It's a perfect fit for me. YMMV but note that - a comfortable neck should be on the list of things you're looking for.

2 The tone / timbre of the guitar. I just really like it.

3 Build quality. If it has any flaws, inside or outside, I can't find them. It's a 50th anniversary special edition and the label is signed which suggests to me that it might have been made by one person from beginning to end but I also have a Larrivee LV 10 (the "V" means it has a cutaway) and the build quality on that is about perfect too. (Mind you, it should be given that it would cost $3k+ new).

I have other high end guitars and they're all very nice but the OM-03 is the best (to me!). The neck is also slightly shorter than the others and the body smaller which makes it more comfortable to play. It's loud if I want it to be and it has an LR Baggs pickup if I want more but I don't play out much anyway.

I would definitely encourage you to look at other sizes along with dreads. Comfort is important and if you want to sit at home in front of the tv and noodle away on your guitar, a dread is not the best size for that.

Mark Twain
Old 03-14-2020, 05:06 PM

Given what you have told us, it is almost certain that whatever guitar you buy now is not the one you will end up with (in the unlikely event it ends up being just one)

Play a few, pick one and enjoy it - over time you will find out what you like and don’t like about it and that will all be part of the journey towards the guitar you might end up sticking with..

Enjoy the ride..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 03-14-2020, 06:02 PM

Default The one and only US handmade guitar? Help needed

Lots of good replies here, but consider this. You and I are about the same height, and for me no dred is comfortable on a couch. Even an OM/000 will shove your right arm and shoulder up a bit.

My sister has a lovely little Collings 01 that is just about perfect in every respect. It cradles comfortably in my lap, and sounds throaty, responsive, and it's easy to play. Even when played along with larger guitars it still seem to hold its own very nicely in a living room setting.

Just a different angle and perhaps not what you had in mind, but it might be worth considering. I have Collings CJ, and an 0001 12 fretter, both of which I love, but there is something about her 01 that is very seductive.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Oh, and there is no such thing as a lifetime guitar, it's just a mental construct that will make whatever you choose susceptible to second guessing.

Last edited by Pnewsom; 03-15-2020 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
Lots of good replies here, but consider this. You and I are about the same height, and for me no dred is comfortable on a couch. Even an OM/000 will shove your right arm and shoulder up a bit.

My sister has a lovely little Collings 01, that is just about perfect in every respect. It cradles comfortably in my lap, and sounds throaty, responsive, and it's easy to play. Pretty much perfect in every way. Even when played along with larger guitars it still seem to hold its own very nicely in a living room setting.

Just a different angle, and maybe not what you had in mind, but it might be worth considering. I have Collings CJ, and an 0001 12 fretter, both of which I love, but there is something about her 01 that is very seductive.
In that case you might like this. Fits in your pocket but sounds like a grand piano.

Mark Twain
Old 03-15-2020, 02:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood_Lad View Post
In that case you might like this. Fits in your pocket but sounds like a grand piano.

Video won’t play, LL. I get this message...

“Video unavailable
This video contains content from nikitaventures music, who has blocked it from display on this website or application.
Watch on YouTube”

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-15-2020, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Video won’t play, LL. I get this message...

“Video unavailable
This video contains content from nikitaventures music, who has blocked it from display on this website or application.
Watch on YouTube”
See if this works.

Mark Twain
Old 03-15-2020, 03:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yep, that’s good! Great-sounding little guitar - thanks for that!

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 03-15-2020, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Yep, that’s good! Great-sounding little guitar - thanks for that!
I think having 12 frets to the neck on something that size is significant. The surface area of the top is relatively small but the lower bridge placement makes the most of what you have.

Mark Twain
Old 03-15-2020, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think having 12 frets to the neck on something that size is significant. The surface area of the top is relatively small but the lower bridge placement makes the most of what you have.
Yep, I’m sure you’re right. That li’l baby looks and sounds beautiful (and that’s from a confessed ‘Big-Body’ man)!

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 03-15-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Yep, I’m sure you’re right. That li’l baby looks and sounds beautiful (and that’s from a confessed ‘Big-Body’ man)!
I think they come in at about £1,800, and the premium tops are about £2,250. I was thinking about indulging in one myself when I was GASsing but (for now at least) I'm not in the market for new guitars anymore.

Mark Twain
Old 03-15-2020, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
.....I like the idea of something more handmade and smaller volume, e.g. Collings, or even a Huss & Dalton from here in Virginia (but I'm not a bluegrass player per se). .......
Huss and Dalton build guitars that fit all genre of music, not just Bluegrass. Do yourself a favor and check them out. You will be surprised at what they build.

Happy Hunting!

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 03-15-2020, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don’t understand why the OP is limiting himself to US-built guitars. There are some fantastic instruments out there at great prices, built elsewhere - Eastman, Furch to mention but two.
Many of us like to buy & support local businesses & artists. No mystery there.
Steve
Old 03-15-2020, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
Many of us like to buy & support local businesses & artists. No mystery there.
Steve
And I get that Steve. I’m in the U.K., and I’ve owned a number of high-end British-built guitars - here’s me, standing at the door of the builder’s workshop in Devon, holding my most recent acquisition, a beautiful Brook Lamorna...

B0D5BCE2-5BE2-4883-AE44-744AFCC7E9FF.jpg

However, I was making the valid point that a closed mind to guitars built outside one’s own country can seriously limit the buyer from playing and potentially owning some great guitars.

If I’d had that same closed mindset, I’d never have owned five excellent Martins, two of which I still have, and that would be a real shame.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 03-16-2020 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:50 AM

You would be doing yourself a tremendous disservice if you did not at least take a look at Boucher. They are a high end boutique brand made in Quebec, Canada. Beautiful instruments. Robin Boucher is a very discerning builder. They build approximately 300 - 350 guitars a year. Build quality is paramount for them.

There is a local shop in my area that sells both Collings and Boucher (among the big 3 as well, and others). Many a potential Collings buyer has walked out with a Boucher once they compared and A/Bed them (that's what I was told by the dealer). I did that same comparison. Boucher every day of the week, all things considered.

I have the impression (could be wrong) that you also are looking for a more traditionally made instrument. Boucher delivers that.

Having said all this, if you're dead set on "made in America" only, then there is nothing else to talk about. In any case, best of luck.

https://boucherguitars.com/

Quote:
Hello friends,

Longtime lurker, finally ready to take the plunge.

Context: I used to play quite a bit in my teenage years, but that was a long time ago. I'm now at a place where I want to pick it up again, be serious about it, and I'm blessed to be in a position where I can afford to spend a few thousand if need be. I will be playing for myself and family at home. I am not joining a band, I won't need to overpower anything.

Challenge: I know myself, while a $200 Yamaha would fit my current skill-level, I am the type of person that much prefer quality over quantity. I don't want 5-10 guitars to cover every scenario perfectly - I want one great all-around guitar that will serve me well for most everything (yes, it won't be perfect at all).

I want to play a mix of fingerpicking, strumming, flatpicking, etc. Think more classics like Springsteen, Simon & Garfunkel, Clapton, etc than bluegrass.

Lastly, I want a US-made guitar, it doesn't need to be all tricked out with pearl everywhere, but I have a soft spot for sunburst top, golden tuners, white binding on fretboard, etc.

I've tried Martins, e.g. D18, D28, HD28, D41, and OM-28. Need to try a D-35 and HD-35 as well. I tried some Taylors and Gibsons, but I that didn't gel for some reason. I'd love to play some Collings, e.g. OM2H but I think that is spending a bit too much, I'd ideally like to keep it below $3K, but could go slightly over if need be. (but hey, if I find the "right one" for $2K, I wouldn't mind ;-))

I don't mind the idea of buying used, e.g. on Reverb, but we all know there is a lot of variations between instruments so it is hard to buy the right instrument online.

Sorry for the rant - what are your recommendations? Which guitar fulfills the challenge? OM or Dreadnaught? I am not sure I really need that canon/booming sound of a Dread, but they do have many other upsides? OMs are very comfortable to play, especially sitting at home in the sofa, but then again, I'm 6'1"/185cm to I can handle a Dread easily. Hog or Rosewood sides and back? 14 fret? So many questions and options...

Which models and makers am I missing? Which is the one and only e.g. Martin?

Thanks in advance!
2019 PRS Silver Sky

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
advice, martin, new guitar