The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 11-27-2019, 02:28 PM

Default Lowell George

I've been waiting for my copy of "Thanks I'll Eat It Here" for about 2 weeks, well it showed up today. This guy was amazing !!!I loved all the Little Feat music, but never heard this "album" !!! Any Lowell fans with stories out there ??? God that Tower of Power section was/is just superb !!! I sure wish I had found these tunes when I had the vocal range to hit these high ones !!! Great tunes, throw some on and kick back !!!
Old 11-27-2019, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
Any Lowell fans with stories out there ???
Hi Graham,

Another big Lowell/Feat fan here.

I saw them many times both before and after his demise. No tighter rock band have I ever heard. Kenny and Ritchie were locked in at all times!

I have a Lowell story I've told here before. You can read it in this thread, and read about an Amazon Prime documentary on him as well:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=490213
Old 11-27-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
I've been waiting for my copy of "Thanks I'll Eat It Here" for about 2 weeks, well it showed up today. This guy was amazing !!!I loved all the Little Feat music, but never heard this "album" !!! Any Lowell fans with stories out there ??? God that Tower of Power section was/is just superb !!! I sure wish I had found these tunes when I had the vocal range to hit these high ones !!! Great tunes, throw some on and kick back !!!
20 million things is a GREAT song! And that whole album is classic!
Old 11-27-2019, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for reminding me that I have all the Little Feat albums somewhere and on my itunes.

Way back when there was only yahoo groups, I mentioned that I liked the band's sound but had none of their albums. With remarkable alacrity, a package arrived from somewhere in Europe with beautifully forged copies and covers.

Technically illegal of course, but a wonderful gift from a stranger.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:02 PM

I've been a Little Feat and Lowell George fan since 1970 when I first heard Little Feat's debut album. In 1973, shortly after the release of their Dixie Chicken album, I learned that Little Feat was touring. My 3 college roommates and I managed to get tickets to a Little Feat concert in Pittsburgh at a small nightclub. As we discovered later, an added bonus was that Bonnie Raitt was the opening act! To most folks back in those days (but not to us), Little Feat and Bonnie Raitt were under-the-radar acts, and as a result that small nightclub venue provided us with the opportunity of a lifetime: to get to meet the band.

As Bonnie began her opening set, the members of Little Feat were seated at the bar having a few drinks and listening. I took the opportunity to sit next to bass player Kenny Gradney, and started a conversation over some beers which soon led to introductions to everyone in the band and several more rounds as we listened to Bonnie.

Later, when Little Feat hit the stage they performed almost every song from their "new" Dixie Chicken album, and as they played, me and my roommates were up close to the stage on the dance floor dancing and singing along with every song. At one point, about 30 minutes into the show, Lowell pointed at us in amazement and asked how we knew all of the lyrics their songs. We just shouted back that Little Feat was our favorite band. It was a priceless moment, and to this day that concert was the best live music experience I've ever had!

As great an experience as we'd had to that point, there was an unexpected topper to the evening. After the last of the encores were finished and we were walking out of the nightclub to the parking lot, Lowell came up to us and invited us to come with the band to their post-show party back at their hotel! We were almost speechless. Sadly, we explained that we had to decline the offer since we were all due back at University for mid-term exams the next morning and had a nearly 4 hour drive ahead of us that night. Lowell told us he understood and that maybe we could catch up with him later in the tour. We never did manage to do that, but the memory of that magical night of music is one all of us cherish to this day.

BTW- Lowell's solo album is one that a lot of folks overlook. I'm glad that you're now getting initiated to its treasures! Many folks are also unaware that Lowell performed on a number of other artists albums over the years. A couple of my favorite examples of those are his slide guitar playing on "Your Bright Baby Blues" from Jackson Browne's The Pretender album, and his guitar work on most of the tracks from Robert Palmer's Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley album. If you're not familiar with them, check them out. If you like Lowell George's music, I know you'll enjoy those tracks!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-27-2019, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Great story, Walt! Speaking of Lowell George collaborations, you probably know that he produced the album Shakedown Street for the Grateful Dead. There is a outake of him singing the lead vocal on Good Lovin’ which is worth seeking out.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:52 PM

Wow.......!!! What an adventure I have just had, reading the responses and hittin' youtube !!! I'm only a half hour through Rockplast, and am headin' for Amazon, and yes I do have prime !!! It's great to appreciate the love we all share for the featz !!! I shall be checking back , thanks for the great replies, I never got to see featz live, but I played Willin' and Dixie Chicken and "Don't Bogart" almost every night, Bogart was our break music in the South Jersey bars we played in the '70's and '80's......Loved them then, and still love them now, I listen to them for hours just surfin' around or playing insolmatare !!! BBS !!!
Old 11-27-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
I've been a Little Feat and Lowell George fan since 1970 when I first heard Little Feat's debut album. In 1973, shortly after the release of their Dixie Chicken album, I learned that Little Feat was touring. My 3 college roommates and I managed to get tickets to a Little Feat concert in Pittsburgh at a small nightclub. As we discovered later, an added bonus was that Bonnie Raitt was the opening act! To most folks back in those days (but not to us), Little Feat and Bonnie Raitt were under-the-radar acts, and as a result that small nightclub venue provided us with the opportunity of a lifetime: to get to meet the band.

As Bonnie began her opening set, the members of Little Feat were seated at the bar having a few drinks and listening. I took the opportunity to sit next to bass player Kenny Gradney, and started a conversation over some beers which soon led to introductions to everyone in the band and several more rounds as we listened to Bonnie.

Later, when Little Feat hit the stage they performed almost every song from their "new" Dixie Chicken album, and as they played, me and my roommates were up close to the stage on the dance floor dancing and singing along with every song. At one point, about 30 minutes into the show, Lowell pointed at us in amazement and asked how we knew all of the lyrics their songs. We just shouted back that Little Feat was our favorite band. It was a priceless moment, and to this day that concert was the best live music experience I've ever had!

As great an experience as we'd had to that point, there was an unexpected topper to the evening. After the last of the encores were finished and we were walking out of the nightclub to the parking lot, Lowell came up to us and invited us to come with the band to their post-show party back at their hotel! We were almost speechless. Sadly, we explained that we had to decline the offer since we were all due back at University for mid-term exams the next morning and had a nearly 4 hour drive ahead of us that night. Lowell told us he understood and that maybe we could catch up with him later in the tour. We never did manage to do that, but the memory of that magical night of music is one all of us cherish to this day.

BTW- Lowell's solo album is one that a lot of folks overlook. I'm glad that you're now getting initiated to its treasures! Many folks are also unaware that Lowell performed on a number of other artists albums over the years. A couple of my favorite examples of those are his slide guitar playing on "Your Bright Baby Blues" from Jackson Browne's The Pretender album, and his guitar work on most of the tracks from Robert Palmer's Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley album. If you're not familiar with them, check them out. If you like Lowell George's music, I know you'll enjoy those tracks!

Wow what a show that must have been I grew up in PA, outside of Philly, I was getting out of HS in '69, we had a small coffee house real close with a great local crowd, it was called The Main Point in Bryn Mawr Pa. Jackson and Warren Zevon and Bruce all played shows there ,unfortunately I was in Okinawa defending our country !!! Your above story is a great one, too bad you missed your chance !!!
Jackson is another of my favs !!! Thanks for the Info though I will check into the Robert Palmer stuff as well !!! It's funny, I saw the"I'll Eat It Here" and ordered it whil I was on Amazon, and flipped when I found it was in stock !!!

Last edited by Graham H; 11-27-2019 at 07:09 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-27-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Great story, Walt! Speaking of Lowell George collaborations, you probably know that he produced the album Shakedown Street for the Grateful Dead. There is a outake of him singing the lead vocal on Good Lovin’ which is worth seeking out.
Thanks for the tip! I've never heard that outtake. I'll be sure to check it out!

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-28-2019, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

One of my all-time favorites. Saw the band only once before Lowell departed the planet, but still remember that time. The band I was in back then did a lot of their songs, and I still love to listen to all their stuff.

The Little Feat book by Ben Fong-Torres is a decent read. (Wish I could remember who I loaned my copy to...)
Old 12-03-2019, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

At that show in Pittsburgh, did Bonnie come out and sing on Oh Altlanta? She did at a show at the Capitol Theater in Passaic NJ. Great show!
Old 12-03-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
At that show in Pittsburgh, did Bonnie come out and sing on Oh Altlanta? She did at a show at the Capitol Theater in Passaic NJ. Great show!
As I recall the Feat didn't play anything from their Feats Don't Fail Me Now album, since it wasn't released for another year. Bonnie did sing on the song Dixie Chicken with them that night.

Coincidentally, the last time I got to see Little Feat was in 2012 or 2013? on their Rooster Rag tour at the Capitol Theatre in Clearwater, FL! Even without Lowell, they were terrific that night.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-04-2019, 07:59 PM

oh man! my all time fav band !saw them with and without lowell.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:22 PM

Regrettably I never saw LG perform in person. Came close though as we had tickets to see Little Feat in Richmond, Va. Unfortunately he passed away the evening before in DC. Really sad day.
Guild F-512
Yamaha FG-200
Old 12-24-2019, 01:05 AM
Charter Member

I've loved "the Fat Man in the Bathtub" for decades now... Lowell was truly a phenomenal talent... his slide playing is the epitome of taste, his singing is so hip that he was dubbed "Vanilla Grits" by a famous lady soul singer... and his songwriting was really something else...

I remember getting a phone call from a friend in LA while I was living in Orange County; all he said was "Tonight, the Topanga Corral, Little Feat...". The Corral was a little cinderblock bar at the mouth of Topanga Canyon; occupancy was probably around 100 and there were three times that for most of the night!

It was the last-minute rehearsal for the "Waiting For Columbus" Tour... and they played for hours on end... SO MUCH FUN!!! A treasured memory of mine...

I believe that Lowell taught both Ry Cooder and Bonnie Raitt how to play slide guitar, a long time ago.

"Thanks, I'll Eat It Here" is a terrific record; I still have it on vinyl... the title? Apparently, Lowell had been after the head of Warner Bros. records to get the $$$$$$ for a solo record... when the guy finally gave him the money to get started, he asked Lowell if he wanted a bag for the cash... Lowell just said, "Thanks, I'll eat it here..."!

A favorite record of mine, for sure... enjoy!!!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN