The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Default Finally found that special T5 I've been searching for!

Hello again, fellow guitar enthusiasts! I had been infatuated with theTaylor T5 for quite some time now - years in fact. But recently after fondling a few in the local store that infatuation turned into full blown lust. I had to have one but finding that special one would take some time. I generally like nice things and always prefer them to be at least a little special, limited or even rare if possible. That's one of the things I like about Taylor - so many 'limited' runs!

I liked the look and brighter sound of the Koa models. Such beautiful grain patterns. There was never any shortage of them on ebay to choose from. It seems to be the most popular model available for auction there. I wondered why? Do they just sell more Koa models? Or are people less satisfied with the Koa model? They do tend to be much brighter out of the box and only mellow after playing for a while - or so says Taylor.

Anyway, I kept watching ebay for a Koa guitar (or any limited edition) that might pop up and 'speak' to me. Then a buddy directed me to check out Wildwood guitar's online site. They have a great online store and have great selections of really nice guitars, high quality photos of the actual guitars and in some cases even short videos of the actual guitar being played. Neat concept. I clicked on the Taylor menu option and then T5. They had one.

From the moment it popped up on my screen I was intrigued. It was a Koa, but it looked much different. It was... darker. Instead of the regular white binding, the binding was dark in color. The overall coloring of the Koa seemed darker as well. Instead of regular dot or any of the other type of fretboard inlays this had a long vine-like inlay. This put me off initially because generally speaking I prefer no inlays of any kind on fretboards or at most just something simple and elegant at the 12th fret only. The hardware was the usual gold of the custom models which worked well with the overall dark-vibe.

This guitar was obviously something special though, something limited, but I could not find anything about it online. A couple quick searches of various websites like this one and other similar sites, as well as the Taylor website and I couldn't find any other mentions of it, which I found odd. While the Wildwood website had a good write up of the specs of the guitar there was nothing about just what it was. One thing for sure, the price was up there.

Here are the specs from Wildwood: The guitar is a 2011 model. It is hand-selected AA Koa on the top, sides and bottom. Yes, it's ALL Koa. The neck is Blackwood. The binding is all rosewood. Fretboard and heckstock overlay your usual Ebony. The inlay is called 'Island Vine'. All other specs are your run-of-the-mill T5. Oh, and the color was listed as Edgeburst, so that's why the top looked a little darker than normal Koa models I'd seen. So I emailed Wildwood to see what the deal was with this guitar. It was new and they had had it since August of 2012. I played the vaguely interested guy, more curious then interested. I asked if this was some type of Limited Fall run or something. They said they would check. I told them I was looking at a used but mint Limited Fall run Maccassar Ebony model on ebay (which was true).

In the meantime, the Island Vine inlay was growing on me. While long and covering most of the fretboard, it is still tasteful, elegant, and fits the look of the guitar. Wildwood contacted me a short while later and said that it was indeed a limited run, a very-limited run, one of only 12 made. Okay, that's limited. That's special. As the Wildwood rep said, "It's a rare bird." "Well what's your best out-the-door price?", I asked. He shocked me with their best price. I took the serial number and contacted Taylor to make sure the 'one of only 12' was accurate. Taylor responded that they didn't have last years final numbers yet but they could tell me that that particular order was for only 15 guitars, so 12 would be about right. Sold.

Made the deal and placed the order. Got the guitar on Thursday, the day before the big blizzard of 2013 hit us up here in New Hampshire. Since I've been snowed in all weekend guess what I've been doing? I have a duo gig with my wife and this will be my primary axe for that. Playing it through a Genz Benz Shenandoah 85 and a Fender PRRI. So far it has not disappointed. It's just a beautiful, special guitar with great T5 sound and play-ability. It's everything I'd hoped it would be. It's so shiny have not been able to get any decent photos of it yet so I'm just going to post a couple shots that I got from the Wildwood site. These are photos of the actual guitar anyway.

Thanks for reading!

Old 02-10-2013, 11:42 AM

HOT guitar. Makes my T5 koa look like a slacker.

Personally, I liked the koa sound clips on the old website.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:59 PM

Nice looking T5.... I had not seen nor did I know of this model before your posting. I believe you definitely have a winner in every way based upon your post. I have a 2005 model and I do enjoy it. Keep on playing and give us an update or two as you use her at home and in front of groups.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Lovely T-5! Congratulations on your new "baby"!!!

I LOVE my T-5 Standard, maple top in red-edgeburst... I really bought it for the electric tones it produces, not for the acoustic ones; even so, I immediately put 11s on it, as the 10s it came with were far too "loose" for my liking... I've always figured that I'd put 12s on it (at least) if I were going for an acoustic sound from it... the shorter scale really seems to affect how tight the strings feel...

Enjoy that thing!!!!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-10-2013, 03:52 PM

I thought they came with 11s. Pretty sure mine did.

I got mine for the acoustic tones, as well as the nice range of available tones. Standard piezos don't do much for me. The fact that it plays extremely well, pretty light, and a reasonable volume for unplugged practice makes it a fav of mine.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Mine came with 11's as well.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:23 AM

You're right that they're hard as hell to photograph. That's some highly polished gloss.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:05 PM

Wow what a beauty! I have a spruce T5.
I've mentioned this elsewhere after reading other posts. I'm running a TRS-XLR cable out of my T5 and find that it sounds fuller and is also louder.
In my case I'm then using an XLR-1/4" plug adapter so I can run my T5 into a Boss tuner pedal at church. Still get the benefit since I'm capturing both outputs at the guitar end...
Old 02-12-2013, 07:41 AM

That is gorgeous. I've been playing the T5's in music stores on and off for years. I like the maple tops but have never played the Koa. (I don't see them as much for some reason). Attended a taylor Find Your Fit a few months back and they brought in a nice natural maple t5. I really liked it, even thought about buying it on the spot- turned around and saw someone else at the counter with it. It was a Standard, but I had a hard time telling a difference between that and Custom. Nice guitar! congrats!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 AM

The custom models have upgraded inlays and hardware. I think the koa models were only available as customs.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Default Defective case

Found a defect in my new T5 hard case today! Went to take the guitar to the local shop to have it set up and the handle all but broke off!!! Upon looking at it closely, one of the two loops that hold the handle onto the case was only riveted on one side. This allowed the d-ring to pivot and let the handle come off one side.

I called Taylor and spoke to a CS rep. Told him the problem and he asks, "When did you buy this guitar, sir?" I told him a month ago. "We will put a new case in the mail today, sir and we apologize for this."

Nice!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:16 AM

Congrats on getting a truly unique and beautiful guitar... And yeah, Taylor Customer Service is right up there with the very best of them!

best'
Will ~

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars