The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-16-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I appreciate reading reassurances about the quality not going down recently with newer model audio phone calls. I remember my iPhone 4 (first one I purchased) had strong reception and transmission and seemingly impervious to call drop. I’m guessing cell tower transmission is the key component here but I have read that the increasingly recycled metals used in the newer phones is leading to weaker reception/ transmission. I hope I’m wrong about this. In any case, in the future when I upgrade I’ll be looking at very basic models if they are still offered stripped of any unnecessary complexity for my purposes of communication.
It appears you need to do some different reading. If you check credible sources you'll find the common metals in phones and antennas are among the most recycled. Recycled copper is same copper. Same for aluminum, stainless steel and more. It's not like recycled clothing and paper fibers.

An iPhone 4 used a different infrastructure than current wireless carrier networks. Carrier networks differ in quality and by location. It's an inappropriate comparison. In a lot of places you only have service for more modern protocols.

If you want quality for the most part you have to buy a top tier phone activated on a top tier network. You have to make sure the carrier has good coverage where you spend your time. The top tier phones have the best best components and not choosing one also puts you at risk of not getting software patches later.

Good luck!
Old 10-16-2019, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
It appears you need to do some different reading. If you check credible sources you'll find the common metals in phones and antennas are among the most recycled. Recycled copper is same copper. Same for aluminum, stainless steel and more. It's not like recycled clothing and paper fibers.

An iPhone 4 used a different infrastructure than current wireless carrier networks. Carrier networks differ in quality and by location. It's an inappropriate comparison. In a lot of places you only have service for more modern protocols.

If you want quality for the most part you have to buy a top tier phone activated on a top tier network. You have to make sure the carrier has good coverage where you spend your time. The top tier phones have the best best components and not choosing one also puts you at risk of not getting software patches later.

Good luck!
I don't know much about the technology but I remember about 8-9 years ago the various networks were having trouble dealing with the increased demands for data that the new smartphones were creating. AT&T service in New York City was notoriously bad in the early days. But the irony was, Verizon had much more reliable coverage but the call quality was TERRIBLE. Even in my small town outside of Philly, I tried switching from the only sort of reliable AT&T to the much more reliable Verizon, and the reliability was off the charts, but I absolutely hated talking to anyone on that phone - the sound quality was that bad. I was using it for business and it just didn't cut it.

Fortunately now things are much better as I guess the infrastructure has caught up to demand. I know from experience that the network AT&T and T-Mobile have been using has gotten much much more reliable. I don't know, but assume, that the call quality on the network that Verizon uses has also improved? And now I guess phones are getting capable of using pretty much whatever network is available. I know that T-Mobile and Sprint used different networks and there was no compatibility between the two, but now they're merging so one would assume you could get a phone that would work on their whole combined network. So whatever it is about the technology that's allowing that to work, it's gotta be a good thing...

-Ray
Old 10-16-2019, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Great information, guys... thanks! Jeremy, I hadn't even thought about waiting for the 5G, so I appreciate that suggestion. I have an OLED TV display and it knocks my socks off. Seeing it once is enough to convince me, so that's a great selling point for the 11 Pro.

I also like the smaller size of the 11 Pro. Frankly, my 6 was big enough. I don't need a bigger and bigger phone.

I have read some about the camera and that makes a difference to me. I still use my DSLR, but a nice camera would be an advantage to me. I hadn't planned on AirPods. I've never used any Apple ear buds that impressed me. I don't know how much better the AirPods are than the throwaways, but I got three sets of ear buds that I like. Imwjl, if you know more about those, I'd love to hear it.

I've never had a problem with any iPhone mic or speaker. One of my best buddies had a terrible speaker in his 6 Plus. For years, he thought he was a lot deafer than he really was.

Thanks for all the opinions. You guys have added a lot to my decision-making process.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Great information, guys... thanks! Jeremy, I hadn't even thought about waiting for the 5G, so I appreciate that suggestion. I have an OLED TV display and it knocks my socks off. Seeing it once is enough to convince me, so that's a great selling point for the 11 Pro.

I also like the smaller size of the 11 Pro. Frankly, my 6 was big enough. I don't need a bigger and bigger phone.

I have read some about the camera and that makes a difference to me. I still use my DSLR, but a nice camera would be an advantage to me. I hadn't planned on AirPods. I've never used any Apple ear buds that impressed me. I don't know how much better the AirPods are than the throwaways, but I got three sets of ear buds that I like. Imwjl, if you know more about those, I'd love to hear it.

I've never had a problem with any iPhone mic or speaker. One of my best buddies had a terrible speaker in his 6 Plus. For years, he thought he was a lot deafer than he really was.

Thanks for all the opinions. You guys have added a lot to my decision-making process.
It will be a while before 5G will really make a difference for many whether that is network build out or the chipsets in phones. If you have an iPhone 6 an upgrade now will make a big difference. If you carrier supports the "Gigabit LTE" or mimo antenna schema in a new phone you'll notice the speed difference.

What's impressive about the AirPods isn't sound quality unless a phone call as much as that superior to standard Bluetooth chip set and how they work as one, both or overall. They're especially great if you still use a phone for phone calls as I do.

The speakers in new phones are much better too.

We have dozens of company owned mobiles, and 750 employees who mostly use mobile for HR, schedules and payroll. Starting with the XR and XS Max in particular and now accelerated with 11 models people who've had 6 or older iPhones are pretty much all really pleased with the jump.

I confess I was in shock on price when I got the XS Max a year ago but it took no time for it to be a super business tool that was a pleasure for my being a news, book, and audio fan.

On DSLR, last year I did an international trip with XS Max not bringing any other camera and I was completely satisfied with the two lenses. The new 3 camera model is even better. It did not replace my owning a nice Canon body and L lenses but it was the best point and shoot or camcorder I've ever taken on a trip.

Since my earlier post it's confirmed I'll be doing an international trip where the new 3 cameras phone would be nice. One of our kids needs a new phone. I expect one of us will have a new 11 or my XS Max gets handed down and I get the Pro.

For me 5G will be "meh" until network build out and 1-2 generations of phone chipset. Especially when I have the Verizon "Gigabit LTE".
Old 10-17-2019, 02:25 AM
Charter Member

Imwjl... thank you very much for all the great info!
Old 10-17-2019, 03:56 AM

Kerbie - so glad you asked this question. I have a 5cs - my daughter just shakes her head when she sees it - well it’s one step up from a flip phone!
Old 10-17-2019, 04:57 AM

If you don't like phones that are so huge, Apple is rumored to have a new SE coming that's the size of the 6S.

And priced right...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 10-17-2019, 05:05 AM

You guys know that Apple purposely slows down your phones as the battery ages right? Check your settings. It will tell you what your battery capacity is. If you phone is slowing down, it's time to replace the battery.

I've recently seen batteries for sale that include the kits you need to open up the phone yourself. One of the tools looks conspicuously like a nylon guitar pick. That's something that's new to me; I'd thought that you had to have Apple or a certified tech with a static mat and special tools to do it. If it's 2 years old though and the battery is not holding a charge as long and on the charger every day then what's the harm to go the DIY route? Just make sure that you've backed your phone settings and files to the cloud.

My previous comments about planned obsolescence aside though, if your phone is 5-6 years old it's just not going to run well at all. The way I see it, you should get a maximum of about 3-4 years out of a phone. If you can't buy a case for it without going online that should be a sign.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
If you don't like phones that are so huge, Apple is rumored to have a new SE coming that's the size of the 6S.

And priced right...
I've always maintained that one of Steve Jobs' original design criteria for the iPhone was that it had to fit into the front pocket of a pair of jeans. I thought the "X" line would have contained an SE-sized phone with a full screen, and I was disappointed to see that it didn't. I'm going to hold out a little longer and hope that your prediction comes true.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post

And priced right...
LOL! I had to check to see if I'd replied to another zombie thread! I just ditched my 4yo SE for an XR.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

I haven't heard about the new SE. That's interesting... I'd like to have one about the size of a 6. And I have heard about the Apple slowdown.

I know more about the differences between the 11s than I do the differences between the Xs. I probably need to look into that. I still think this is like being in a chocolate shop... or a guitar shop... too many choices! Lol...
Old 10-17-2019, 07:02 AM

If we're just talking about phone size and not screen size, then the 6, 6S, 7 and 8 are all the same size at 5.44 x 2.64. The SE is smaller at 4.87 x 2.30.

The only 'new' iPhones that are anywhere near the 6, 6S, 7 and 8 in size are the XS and 11Pro, both of which are 5.65 x 2.79. The screens in the latter two are much larger, of course, and both are heavier than the 6, 6S, 7, and 8.

I want an SE-sized phone with a full screen.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Ax... the 11 Pro is definitely interesting to me. I'll take a look at the XS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Kerbie - so glad you asked this question.
Are you also shopping? If so, what are you thinking about?
Old 10-17-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Are you also shopping? If so, what are you thinking about?
Actually Kerbie (as you already know), I have decided to purchase a very nice vineyard wedding for 110 people this weekend, nicely appointed with Gray Goose vodka, pastry by 'Sift', and drone photography (plus many other premium items that I have been told will be necessary).

The phone, the car, and the Fairbanks guitar are on hold indefinitely - as is retirement -
Old 10-17-2019, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Understood completely, Rick. I think that will take full priority. You better hang on to that iPhone 5!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic