The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-08-2019, 09:46 AM

I have a Shorty SG (which I believe is identical to the CH-OM except for the finish), and it's rapidly become my favorite, supplanting my Martin OOO-15 custom. I like the essential stability - I can throw it in my trunk and not worry too much about how it's going to sound when I get where I'm going. Also, the OM size is small enough to be comfortable on the couch but large enough to produce sufficient volume when playing with others. Interesting, in my opinion, the Rainsong is perhaps more sensitive to string choice than most guitars I've played. I'm still trying all kinds of new strings every few months until I settle on what works best. I think it's get a set of D'Addario NB 12s on it right now, and I'll probably replace them in the next month or so with a set of EJ-16s (these are sort of my reference string - something to compare others to).

Anyway - for me, the Shorty is almost perfect. I love the neck/FB profile a lot - but do have to admit that getting used to a 12-fret neck is a bit of an adjustment when I move back and forth. I think the only thing that could be better would be stainless frets.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
2) Make the CH models available with a gig bags like those early Studio models rather than hardshell cases.
I have to agree here. I don't know if the case they provide for the CH models are the same as I received with my Shorty SG, but the hard case is way longer than it needs to be - as if it was made for a 14-fret neck. I bought an Access Stage III bag for it, and the original Rainsong case is collecting dust now.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Earl you are spot on. I was only able to get 63% of what I paid for a Shorty when the CH-OM rolled out. I'm confident that if I had asked for even $100 more then what I got for it, it would have sat in the classifieds until I dropped the price. No complaints though- i had a great guitar that i paid $175 a year to rent. All about perspective, but the used market for CF isn't as forgiving as with wood.

I don't think this is exclusive to RainSong either. Just look at other CF guitars either here on the AGF, or especially on Reverb. There are Emeralds on Reverb right now way overpriced in the used market, and they have been sitting there for months. Granted a couple of them are baritones, but niche guitars in an already niche market are just not going to sell for nearly what yoi would pay for one new, under warranty, with a mug, and with the option to return.
Your Shorty was basically the same guitar as the new lower priced CH-OM which could affect used value of that model but the new CH models have had no affect on used standard models like Earls WS1000 as far as I can see.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
I really like mine, now that I've found the strings that work best for me on it (Retros medium/light hybrid aka LJ's Choice) for my style of rhythm/strumming. They fatten up the bass and the top end as well.

I bought it for gigging, and that's what I use it for most often. In fact, I'm off to play outdoors on a fairly humid day.
+1 on the LJ’s choice for my Shorty, best strings yet on it. Ymmv.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:39 AM
Guest 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
I really like mine, now that I've found the strings that work best for me on it (Retros medium/light hybrid aka LJ's Choice) for my style of rhythm/strumming. They fatten up the bass and the top end as well.

I bought it for gigging, and that's what I use it for most often. In fact, I'm off to play outdoors on a fairly humid day.
I also love the Retros, though haven't tried the hybrids, just straight mediums.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:37 AM

Congratulations RP on your new Rainsong!!! Great to nab one sans barn door electronics. Am enjoying this thread and will try a hybrid Retro set on my DR1100NS next.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

I would have to agree on the impact to resale value. As I was looking I tried several in shops and ended up purchasing a new ch-pa as I could get it essentially cheaper than any of the used models.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:02 PM

I've got two RainSong Parlors and the Concert version is quite a bit nicer looking than the Concert Hybrid. I think the pricing, materials, and decorations are similar to going from a Style 16 to a Style 41 Martin, which the greater guitar market accepts.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-13-2019, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I've got two RainSong Parlors and the Concert version is quite a bit nicer looking than the Concert Hybrid. I think the pricing, materials, and decorations are similar to going from a Style 16 to a Style 41 Martin, which the greater guitar market accepts.
I agree that there are nicer appointments on the model, however my thinking was I tried one I liked in a store but wasn't sure it was the way for me to go so I will pick up the less expensive one new in the store that has a great sound first and if I really decide I love them I can think about upgrading.

Had the CH-PA not been available I likely would have picked up a used concert or similar instead. (For somewhat more money). While I agree there are people that will pay more for the upgraded aesthetics in the more expensive models given the less expensive option less people will make that choice which means there will be less buyers for them used which means likely the price will need to come down some.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber