The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-20-2019, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Default Tuning Questions

So I understand that even Emerald X-20 guitars are not perfect instruments, and if a guitar is in tune on open strings, it will likely not be in tune on the 12th fret. But lately, my ears are not happy with my guitar tuning, period. I tried the James Taylor thing, tuning the strings somewhat flat to his specs, and I still was not happy.

But here's what I stumbled upon (perhaps, rediscovering fire), which sounds better to me. I tune using a Korg chromatic tuner, and then check the tuning at the 12th fret. If the tuner shows the 12 fret to be sharp on a particular string, then I go back and make the open string tuning slightly flat; and I go back and forth until the open string's tuning "flatness" is about the same as the 12th fret "sharpness". I am guessing this keeps the guitar closer to in-tune on the first 12 frets.

I am thinking if I were a virtuoso (which I am definitely not), and I played 80-90% on the first five frets, perhaps I should do this checking tuning to the fifth fret, and go back and forth, etc.

Does this make sense or am I deluding myself?

Last edited by zeeway; 06-20-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:58 PM
Guest 928

I have had guitars with terrible intonation. I started tuning them at the 12th fret. I found that flatness at the low frets is not nearly as noticeable as sharpness at the high frets. I do not have to tune this way with my emeralds and Rainsong.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:22 PM

I tune to the fretted fifth fret. That splits the difference between fretted strings in most positions and open strings. I learned this a long time ago from a touring pro at a guitar camp. Then I check the 12th fret harmonics, and sometimes the 7th fret harmonics.

There is always some inherent error built into tempered tuning. The trick is to minimize it to your personal comfort level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
.... I found that flatness at the low frets is not nearly as noticeable as sharpness at the high frets....
^ This. Sharp is generally more noticeable and grating on the ear than slightly flat.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:52 PM

An acoustic guitar with a properly cut nut and compensated saddle shouldn't have any intonation issues..
Old 06-20-2019, 06:25 PM
Guest 928

The Proper part is what is often missing in many guitars. I think those of us on this forum are mostly safe.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I tune to the fretted fifth fret. That splits the difference between fretted strings in most positions and open strings.
Hmmm...that makes sense to me. I’ll give that a try, also. I guess my way would average out...on the sixth fret.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber