The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-04-2019, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Default X10 gig report: 3 hours non-stop, outside, new Bose S1 setup

Second gig with the X10 nylon, the first having been a short two-hour indoor brunch gig. This one was an outdoor venue, very large yard sale/food truck show. Used the relatively new EAE StompMix X6 digital mixer into the dual Bose S1 setup but this time (and for the first time) did the single S1 in the monitor position facing us and the second S1 on a stand outside the tent, to the right and in front of us. Everything worked very well for the most part.

Tone was great and comfort level was so good that we played the entire three hours non-stop as we were having so much fun. Normally with my steel string guitars I need at least one break and that last half hour is very painful. The last few songs had the fingertips a little on the tender side but nothing like with the steel strings and that's with no breaks so at least 15-20 minutes more playing than normal. So I'm very happy with my decision to switch to a nylon hybrid guitar.

As for the EAE X6 and the dual S1 combo, I couldn't be happier with both these systems' performance. The one issue I did note was there was a 'popping' or more like a 'booming' during the first couple of songs. At first we thought someone was lighting off fireworks somewhere in the distance but then realized it was coming from us. Still not sure what it was. I swapped out the battery in the X10 and dialed back the volume on the X10 itself just a bit and then didn't hear it again for the rest of the gig but still not really sure what it was.

The battery I removed from the X10 was relatively new and still had a lot of juice left in it based on the 'tongue test'. So it's something I'll need to try to replicate and keep an eye on. I've not noticed it in any lead up to the gig and I've used the exact same setups and volumes. I did have the X7 present as a backup but did not need to use it, thankfully. I'll post a couple photos of the setup before we played. The X10 was also featured in a recent professional photo shoot for an upcoming website update and I must say it photographs very well. MUCH better than the guy holding it!
Old 06-04-2019, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

A couple photos post setup, pre-start:

Old 06-04-2019, 06:29 AM

Cool report... thanks... that X10 is a fine critter.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-04-2019, 07:07 AM

Thanks for a report from the field! I bet you get lots of looks and questions on those Emeralds - they are otherworldly.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:08 AM
Guest 928

Nice report, great venue, beautiful guitar, superb Amp--You may have died and gone to heaven (those booms were probably celestial greetings).
Old 06-04-2019, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

I enjoy seeing how you continue to refine your rig for your use.

Three hours with no break? Whew! Fingers, voice, bladder... you're tough.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:51 PM

I've done 3 hours with out ever stopping play, not even between pieces ...easy with a keyboard though... can still noodle with one hand whilst taking a drink in the other...Stuff a boy might do just to see if he can type thing
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-10-2019, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

I didn’t notice, are you using a cable to plug in or a wireless unit?
Old 06-10-2019, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryc-k View Post
I didn’t notice, are you using a cable to plug in or a wireless unit?
I've used both. In this instance I started with the wireless so I could walk out and here the FOH tone but then switched over to cord for the majority of the gig. If I think I'm going to be moving around a lot or space is really tight then I usually go wireless but for most gigs where I'm in an average sized area and can move around a little bit I'll go cord. It varies. I always have both.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

I ask, as the wireless units have a tendency to experience popping noises (as you describe) due to interference of the signals. There are so many cellphone and wireless signals flying about in most environments there’s always a chance that something will hit your signal. I stopped using mine, even at home. It seems they haven’t perfected the technology enough yet to completely eliminate this signal interference.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber