The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-14-2019, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X7 in Mpls/St Paul

I am looking at acquiring a small body travel guitar. I had a Rainsong with the N2 neck, but felt it was a bit chunky for my likes. I was hoping someone in the Twin Cities has an X7 I could try. PM me and I can get my contact information to you. The other choice I am trying to locate is a Black Bird Lucky 13. Does anyone have direct experience with both guitars on which they would like to comment? Thank you
TomC
Old 04-15-2019, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Earl, who posts here, has an X7 and a Lucky 13... he's on Mountain Daylight Time, but I bet you will hear from him soon. Both very nice guitars.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:29 AM

Tom, I do indeed have both the old style (pre-spring 2018) X7 and a 2016 Lucky 13. Lucky 13 is basically a L-00 sized guitar with a bluesy, slightly boxy voice. I have no trouble reaching as high as I want up the neck, because it has no neck heel - I can play at the 17th fret easily, even without a cutaway.

X7 is shorter scale at 24" and a bit more compact overall, but sounds nice too. It isn't quite as loud as bigger guitars, but by itself has a lovely sound. Both are excellent well-made guitars, but fit different niches. For travel purposes I would probably choose the X7. We also have a CA Cargo, btw. My wife is petite and likes "mama bear" sized guitars. She could easily choose from all three, but always goes with X7.

I'm in Boise, so nowhere near your area. I will be offline until this evening, but ping my email (through my profile) and I'll provide my phone number for further discussion. I have the forum PM function turned off.

PS: Tony Beltrans is in your area and owns Cargo's and maybe an X7, IIRC.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

I do live in the Twin Cities and do have the original Cargo, but no Emeralds. I also have a McPherson Touring, and that is the extent of my CF collection. My PM is working (I think) in case you want to arrange to try my CF guitars.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-15-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Default Thank you

Gentlemen - I appreciate the comments.
Tony - I am travelling over the next two weeks. I will PM you when I get back.

Thanks again everyone
Old 04-15-2019, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

OK. I purchased my McPherson Touring at Fret Central, here in the Twin Cities. I have no idea who might stock the Cargo, if anybody around here.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-15-2019, 01:19 PM

I’m in the twin cities and have an X-20 and a cargo
I don’t know if the X-7 has the same profile as the X-20. I played a Lucky 13 a couple years ago and thought I might pick that one if I didn’t already have the Cargo. Today if I was looking for a travel guitar, the X-7 would definitely be a consideration (but i do love my Cargo and even today might pick that over the other two). There’s also some nice small blackbird cf’s
Old 04-15-2019, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedley View Post
I don’t know if the X-7 has the same profile as the X-20.
If everything is stock, the X7 scale length is 24" while the X20 is 25.5". The X20 body is somewhat larger and the way the body and neck are joined is different - on the X7 the body meets the neck at the 12th fret, on the X20 they meet at the 14th. And the way the cutaway joins with the neck is very different, with the X7 having the same type cutaway as the X30 and, I think the X10 and the X20 having an older design. Which makes me guess (although it's nothing but a guess, and an uneducated one at that) that the X20 may get a refresh in the next couple of years to make it consistent around the neck/body joint with the rest of the current lineup.

Having owned both (but only the X7 now), they sound remarkably similar, with the X7 sounding a lot like a smaller X20. My basic description, which either I borrowed from someone else or they did from me, because I've seen others write it, is that the X20 feels like playing an 000 but sounds like a dread, while the X7 feels like a parlor but sounds like a 000. The older version of the X7 sounded like a parlor - a particularly loud and nice parlor, not boxy, but the new one sounds bigger...

-Ray
Old 04-15-2019, 05:47 PM

I'm close in what you want to look at, but far location wise. I have a late 2013 X20 and a late 2014 Lucky 13. I think my Lucky hit the sweet spots on Lucky 13. At least I like it better than the two earlier versions I tried.

I have also played the newer X7 and X30. The X20 is a little bigger and a little longer than the Lucky 13. However it feels about the same or smaller when I am playing it. The Lucky is better for bluesy type sounds compared to the X20. The X20 is probably my all around favorite guitar. I have something on order, so that might change. Might not also.

If I was getting a guitar for travel (only) then of the two I would lean toward the X7 as it feels significantly smaller than my X20 or Lucky13. I tried a Cargo a while back and while I like the chunkiness of the neck, it felt a little too cramped to me playing above about the 5th or 7th fret.

Currently I am traveling with my X20, but I have it stuffed in my Lucky13 bag because my X20 bag's falling apart. Between the two guitars there's almost no difference in carrying it around, stuffing it overhead storage on planes or in trunks of cars. I think the X20 is a tougher guitar and would expect the X7 will travel even better than my X20 because it's noticeably smaller. I have also played some newer X20s and mine is pretty close to how they feel. I think if I ever got around to getting it professionally set up instead of me monkeying with it, then I would like it even more.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 04-15-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
....I tried a Cargo a while back and while I like the chunkiness of the neck, it felt a little too cramped to me playing above about the 5th or 7th fret.....
I concur with this, and the rest of your description too. The Cargo actually has a bolder, bassier sound than the old X7 (I've never really tried the new version except for briefly at Kramster's last October). But that short 22.75" scale length is a bit challenging for my hands, and takes more time to adapt. It feels like it has a capo placed just one fret too high for maximum comfort (capo on the second fret feels fine, but on the third fret is just a bit too tight for ideal spacing).

For me the X20 is exactly right-sized, and just fits perfectly.

Last edited by Earl49; 04-15-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Thank you

I would like to thank everyone for their comments and PMs. I was able to locate a McPherson which should be waiting for me when I get back from Winnipeg. I played an example last Saturday and feel this will fit me.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

The McPherson Touring is a fine guitar. It could easily be my one guitar if I had to go that route.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber