The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 04-16-2020, 07:56 AM

Default Anyone else been going through old vinyl lately?

I moved my record player upstairs and have been rediscovering my collection. I forgot I even had the first Tony Rice album on vinyl and a Norman Blake in there.

Bluegrass 1 https://imgur.com/gallery/5yBs1qF

Last edited by KalamazooGuy; 04-16-2020 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Lucky you...lost my vinyl collection in a basement flood. Sure do miss all those old albums? I'd love to listen to TR and NB!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-16-2020, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Yes! What was my basement office up until about 2 weeks ago, is becoming my basement retreat. I have a decent turntable, amp and speakers which have been in there for a few years, but putting a record on to listen to while I was ‘working’ was almost invariably a signal for the phone to ring, or an urgent email to arrive.

Now, I have no such distractions, and am working my way through a pretty substantial vinyl collection, some of which is 50 years old or more.

I’m thoroughly enjoying revisiting many of these memories...
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-16-2020, 08:41 AM

Default a - z

I've been working from home since about March 18th. Since I'm working downstairs where our stereo system is, I decided to listen to all of my records from A - Z alphabetically. Today is Elvis followed by Rush..... Wow what a contrast.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:49 AM

It's funny what we get up to when things shut down.I was doing the same thing and found out that I have nearly 700 albums that I've been carting around since the late 60's.I know one thing for sure - I'm never moving again.These things are heavy!
Old 04-16-2020, 09:05 AM

Default yup

Played Bonnie Raitt a few days ago..."Give it up or let me go"....still awesome!..

My set up is a mixture of 90's turn table(Kenwood), Fisher speakers, 90's Pioneer receiver, Kenwood carousel, Fisher tape deck. Even hooked up my big screen to the receiver. Sounds terrific.

Spent time filing thru my vinyl. Found some one offs that I still like and quite a few well worn and well known artists. The biggest eye opener was looking at some of the price stickers still on the covers...$3.98!
Old 04-16-2020, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Been a while since I owned any vinyl....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-16-2020, 09:17 AM

I've never owned any vinyl, but my parents did. What became of it, I don't know. There were at least a few albums from Waylon and Willie in that collection.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

I collect and listen to vinyl all the time. We just did a cross country move and the 20 boxes of vinyl came along. My Marantz receiver is in for repair right now but should get it back up and spinning soon.

I recently picked up a bunch of Tony Rice, Norman Blake, Leo Kottke, Jeff Fahey etc... I always buy guitarcentric albums!
Old 04-16-2020, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Even with the shutdown, I'm still trying to support vinyl record shops - many have moved at least some of their inventory on Discogs to make ends meet. Just bought a copy of the Stones' "Between the Buttons" from GrooveGeek in Wilson, NC this week!
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 04-16-2020, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Doc and Merle live on stage, Mississippi John Hurt today, the essential Steve Goodman, Dave Van Ronk inside, Norman Blake fields of november.
A lot of remembering why I started.

Like Eric Church said "I'm having a record year"
Old 04-16-2020, 10:08 AM

My vinyl collection, which was extensive, eclectic, and contained lots of rare LPs, is mostly long gone. That's a result of stupidity, misfortune, and thievery. Sad, but that's life I guess. What I have been doing, however, is converting old cassette tapes to digital. I have lots of 'em, going back to the '80s, that I hadn't seen or heard since those days. Lots of old band rehearsals, a few multi-tracked covers collections, and about a dozen original tunes, also multi-tracked. Pretty cool to hear that stuff now, warts and all. Some of it is lots better than I remembered; good even. Some is pretty rough. It's also fun to hear the comments of old band mates after I'd sent them CDs of these things.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:15 AM
Musical minimalist

I ran a record store from the late 70's to the late 80's.

During that time I ended up with over 3200 titles on vinyl.

In about '91 I sold off down to about 1000 attending record shows and setting up tables. This was the "first wave" of renewed vinyl popularity and I did VERY well between the vinyl itself and posters and promotional items I'd collected over the years.

After a couple of other purges over time, I was down to about 350 titles of the best music and what I thought I'd listen to until my rockin' chair days. Some of it was autographed, some irreplaceable (of course) - but what I found was even with a very expensive turntable and great electronics, I still couldn't listen for very long because of the inherent noise from the grooves. Most of my favorite music is very sparse instrumentation - so when there is supposed be silence, well.....

About two months ago, I sold all my remaining vinyl to one guy at a fair price, and sold my turntable to one of my clients.

I'm finding that most of the stuff I would have missed, I can find on Youtube, and the sound is better

The end of an era.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:19 AM

Some of us have never abandoned vinyl.

1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 04-16-2020, 10:31 AM

Still have some old vinyl left, including several late 70's Picture Disc's and Promo copies, but no working turntable. In my first life after college I spent a few years working on-air at some rock radio stations. I came to see vinyl records as a tool really, and because I got burned more than a few times dashing to the mens room while a song played only to have the record developing a new skip, I have never rekindled my long lost romance for a vinyl record.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN