The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-08-2019, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Personally, I don't really care beyond a mildly interesting post in a forum full of such posts. Several here in this thread probably feel similar. Those who are considering such a purchase would likely be motivated to follow up. To there rest of us, it is just more mildly interesting discussion.

I do follow up and research those things that I am actively interested in, and I am reasonably sure others here do similar.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-10-2019 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Deleted quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:18 AM

Of course a dealer sitting on inventory at MAP would not be motivated to confirm this rumor... See how easy it is to propagate confusion!

I am betting the Sweetwater guy did not know what he was talking about.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-10-2019 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Deleted quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chistrummer View Post
BTW, I did find it interesting that one here bothered ... by guitar stores cold calling them.
Why. That's what Sweetwater does periodically with their customers. They touch base and do a quick check to see if there's anything you need. Most people herein like the SW service very much........

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I currently have 5 carbon fiber guitars: 3 Cargos and 2 McPherson Touring (both identical with honeycomb top design, with the gold Schaller tuners and gold EVO frets). Some might think that is weird to have so many of the same thing....
Yes, I wonder why? I wouldn't ever buy 2, or more, of the same (or very similar) guitar from the same maker/materials - regardless of construction material. Especially when CF is touted by so many as "indestructible, impervious to humidity, heat....". So, if I were to buy multiples of the same/similar guitar, CF would be the last one I would need/want to do that with. For example, I have one CF paddle for my kayaks. Not one for each but one because it serves its purpose and I have no fear of its needing a duplicate.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Why. That's what Sweetwater does periodically with their customers. They touch base and do a quick check to see if there's anything you need. Most people herein like the SW service very much........

Yes, I wonder why? I wouldn't ever buy 2, or more, of the same (or very similar) guitar from the same maker/materials - regardless of construction material. Especially when CF is touted by so many as "indestructible, impervious to humidity, heat....". So, if I were to buy multiples of the same/similar guitar, CF would be the last one I would need/want to do that with. For example, I have one CF paddle for my kayaks. Not one for each but one because it serves its purpose and I have no fear of its needing a duplicate.
Odd, since I have explained it a number of times her recently. Anyway, consider that I have always lived debt-free, except my mortgage, which I paid off early. I worked my way through college and graduated with no student loans, and then put my wife through college, again with no student loans. I have always been able to pay my wife's substantial medical bills without going into debt, in a time when many people faced with even a $1,000 bill, would have to borrow to pay it off. This is what is important to me.

I retired early and have been able to easily fund my first 6 years of retirement, finally signing up for Social Security this year at age 66. There are many things I don't have, that other people consider important such as cable or satellite TV or streaming TV or satellite radio subscriptions, I have never owned a new car, I don't have a smart phone with the various data plans. My hobbies are playing guitar and piano, where others might have broader interests and the associated toys. I am not rich. I simply have always spent less than I earn, and refrain buying something if I can't afford it. Having to borrow to buy it is a sure sign I can't afford it.

Considering these facts, having a couple of the same type of guitar for convenience seems a rather small issue. However, once again I will explain myself.

I like the convenience of having several guitars of the same dimensions such as body size, scale length, neck width, etc. to keep in different tunings so I don't have to adjust from guitar to guitar. It is merely a matter of convenience, nothing more. There is no fear involved. After Vietnam, I certainly don't live my life in fear. I happen to especially like the Cargo and the Touring over anything else, wood or carbon fiber.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-09-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Of course a dealer sitting on inventory at MAP would not be motivated to confirm this rumor... See how easy it is to propagate confusion!

I am betting the Sweetwater guy did not know what he was talking about.
Actually a rumor like that could be good for sales. I was ready to buy two more Cargos if it was true.

And for what it's worth over the years I found your contributions to be some of the most informative here.

Last edited by srick; 05-10-2019 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 05-09-2019, 12:19 PM
Guest 928

Chris;

I have also found Jon's contributions to be informing. I have not found a dearth of informing and interesting material on this forum.

What I have seen is a shifting topography where some members of the landscape fade out while others fade in. In short, I continue to find this forum worth attention and appreciate the time others take to dig into the joys and issues of carbon fiber instruments.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chistrummer View Post
Actually a rumor like that could be good for sales. I was ready to buy two more Cargos if it was true.

And for what it's worth over the years I found your contributions to be some of the most informative here.
Personally, I like the folks here and find the discussion interesting.

Granted, there was a lot of technical discussion at the original MacNichol forum. But then many of us were experimenting with the then relatively new carbon fiber products. I was quite involved in modifying guitar pedals to get the EQ'ing I needed for my K & K equipped Cargos, for example. That kind of discussion is in another sub-forum here.

We had some interesting discussions about music theory and other subjects at the MacNichol forum, that are generally covered in other sub-forums now, leaving this one specifically for carbon fiber guitars themselves.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by Acousticado; 05-10-2019 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Keeping it nice
Old 05-09-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
..I retired early and have been able to easily fund my...... broader interests and the associated toys. I am not rich. I simply have always spent less than I earn.... I like the convenience of having several guitars of the same dimensions..
Tony, sounds like we're similar. I did my service, worked, retired early, invested well and enjoy my things. I owe no one. I am lucky to have perfect health (along with my wife) and no expenses. HOWEVER our biggest difference is I love variety and have very different great guitars - no two alike.

Enjoy those guitars.

Steve
Old 05-09-2019, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Tony, sounds like we're similar. I did my service, worked, retired early, invested well and enjoy my things. I owe no one. I am lucky to have perfect health (along with my wife) and no expenses. HOWEVER our biggest difference is I love variety and have very different great guitars - no two alike.

Enjoy those guitars.

Steve
Steve,

Good. I had hoped there were more folks that had similar stories (the guitar part, even though this is a guitar site, is less important to me personally than the rest). I have tried a lot of guitars over the years and still have a couple of fine wood instruments (Huss & Dalton 00, Kelday 000, and Brunton classical, all 12 fret).

However, I really, and immediately, took to the Cargo with its short scale and small body. As I mentioned in another post, to me the McPhersons are what the Cargo could have "grown up" to be, given the same attention that McPherson gives its products. The issue for me is that I broke my right wrist years ago, and lost much of the rotation of my wrist. It is difficult for me to hold a larger guitar and play cleanly, and it gets worse as I get older.

So, for me, these guitars allow me to continue to play in the style I enjoy - fingerstyle. I suppose I could have a larger instrument and strum away, but I have never had an interest in doing that, though listening to others do it is fine. So these guitars are my ticket to continuing to be able to play, which is, for me, very important.

No other guitar I have played fits me as well as these. I do seriously consider selling my wood instruments because they rarely get played. All of my Cargos and McPherson Tourings, have the same scale and essential body size, so they are all well matched to my needs. Also, their small size is not a compromise in terms of sound. They were well designed and built, taking advantage of the unique properties that carbon fiber affords.

Over the years, I have found some old Gibsons and Martins from the 1920s +/- a few years that would fit me well enough. However, those can be crotchety, just as we can become as we age. They are rather fragile and require attention to environmental factors even ore than more modern builds. My last old guitar of that type was a 1917 Martin 00 size. My carbon fiber guitars are easier playing (even with the Martin getting a neck reset and setup, though it did play fine) and require absolutely no care other than occasionally changing strings.

I agree with you that "no two are alike", and we often don't know the reasons for why we each choose what we do - until we get into that discussion. There are some very solid and practical reasons for my choices in guitars. In other areas of my life, I do like variety, such as so-called "ethnic restaurants, a variety of reading material, etc.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-09-2019, 07:38 PM

I'm certainly not disappointed to hear a CF company and employer is staying in business!!!

Was just stating that I wouldn't be surprised, considering their very quiet online presence/social media, their progressively shrinking linup, increasing prices...
Old 05-10-2019, 04:12 AM

Default Moderator Note:

Folks, a quick note here: The friendly sniping and jibing is on the border of being (or becoming) nasty. As we all know, subtleties don't come through well in e-conversations. Rather than edit everyone's jabs, I have just chosen to delete the lot.

Be nice and have a good weekend.

Thanks for understanding.

Rick
Old 05-10-2019, 09:07 AM
Guest 928

Rick;

Pretty clean edit. I'm not sure it was needed, but the squabble was not a serious argument dealing with a serious issue and doesn't really add anything to the conversation. In short, I approve your message. Thank you for your time and attention.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Rick;

Pretty clean edit. I'm not sure it was needed, but the squabble was not a serious argument dealing with a serious issue and doesn't really add anything to the conversation. In short, I approve your message. Thank you for your time and attention.
There is a saying when somebody does something good/well … "give that man a cigar!". Well, here, the focus is guitars and many of us choose not to smoke, so the saying could be modified to "give that man a guitar!".

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-10-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
There is a saying when somebody does something good/well … "give that man a cigar!". Well, here, the focus is guitars and many of us choose not to smoke, so the saying could be modified to "give that man a guitar!".

Tony
I’ll be sure to show this to my wife, Tony. For some strange reason, she feels that paying for our daughter’s wedding is more important than me commissioning Dale Fairbanks to build my L00!

She’ll listen to you, right?

Best,

Rick
Old 05-10-2019, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
I’ll be sure to show this to my wife, Tony. For some strange reason, she feels that paying for our daughter’s wedding is more important than me commissioning Dale Fairbanks to build my L00!

She’ll listen to you, right?

Best,

Rick
It would be for the best all around.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber