The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-01-2019, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
....and so it goes, your comments go well with your AGF name [emoji1303]
I like living by the saying the older I get the more I knew so I figured it was appropriate.

Ray your response made sense. I think both perspectives are valid. There is a point to acknowledge when something is not going to work for you (which I hit on my RainSong parlor which was causing me fret hand cramps in 1/4 the time that I currently play per day on my other guitars).

but it's also worth knowing what you can fix and shouldn't worry about. And that's what I'm learning more about thanks to this forum I just picked up a Yamaha SLG200N as something to play when my kids are asleep and at first I was massively underwhelmed as the setup was terrible. It was an open box returned unit that I picked up from Amazon.

I spent 40 mins with a nut file and the truss rod and it's like an entirely different guitar that I have brand new for nearly 1/2 price. The person who sent it back probably thinks they are a terrible guitar. For context two strings were sitting up above the nut as the slots weren't wide enough, and the overall action at the nut was ridiculously high. I took each slot down about 2mm.

It went from a guitar I could barely play at all to one now that I can play quite nicely.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I have a MacNichol bone saddle on my X30. I also have 2 more soaking in black stain for a few weeks. One is for my X20. Different bridge pins and nuts in my experience give subtle changes but a saddle is a much more noticeable change. If you look on Graphtechs website they show some graphs of tusq vs bone and of course they're showing tusq being better. I have to strongly disagree. I also went from tusq to bone in my Gibson dread and it was again a big change. Some may not like the change and some will like it better. Not that there's anything wrong with tusq I seem to prefer the tone that a bone saddle gives.

I'm familiar with various saddle materials. I purchased a Colosi bone saddle for a Breedlove I had between 2008 and 2015. it came with micarta and the difference was significant. Great guitar but I discovered I couldn't get along with a 1 11/16" nut anymore and didn't much care for the neck either. I also had a Shorty with both a MOP and bone saddle. Couldn't hear much discernible difference between the 2 but stuck with bone for the rigidity of the material- MOP is pretty soft. Also changed the plastic (whatever it was) bridge on my Martin to bone from MacNichol. I've had to shape them all a bit but have become pretty proficient. Like you I do my own electronics and set ups. It's really fun.

Thanks Aspiring. You said, "It went from a guitar I could barely play at all to one now that I can play quite nicely." There isn't a guitar yet that played the way I want out of the box. They have all required TLC- but I'm picky I guess. I will say this though, most people who pick up my guitars comment on how well they are set up. One of these days I'll have one professionally done, telling them exactly what my style is and whatnot- but so far I've been doing well on my own.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber