The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-28-2021, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Very nicely done, Bob.

I recall a couple other favorites of this one from '77, Atlanta and Minneapolis.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
What a great idea for a thread! Brings us all together... and the talent on this thread is another level.

Kudos to you all. I’m not worthy, but except my humble version of perhaps the Dead’s easiest to play song.

My buddy and I played Cumberland Blues at every bar gig. Every one. The days seem to be behind us both... pandemic, as well as he is moving down south. Dead tunes are so great to jam. Again thanks for this thread...

Sal, this is wonderful ... it's an Ohio State sweatshirt away from being perfect!

Old 03-28-2021, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Very nicely done, Bob.

I recall a couple other favorites of this one from '77, Atlanta and Minneapolis.
Thank you for commenting on our thread, Paul, much appreciated.

If I had to pick just one year of favorite Grateful Dead concerts, 1977 would be hard to leave out
Old 03-28-2021, 01:27 PM

My composition "Jubilation Jamboree." Played on various guitars, including a Taylor 714ce red cedar top, a Gibson CS336, a Fender Hotrod Precision bass, an Eastman mandolin, and a Hohner harmonica.

<iframe width="100%" height="500" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://www.reverbnation.com/widget_code/html_widget/artist_2966744?widget_id=55&pwc[song_ids]=18117363&context_type=song" style="width:0px;min-width:100%;max-width:100%;"></iframe>
Taylor 615CEL (2006)
Taylor 714CEL (2009)
Eastman MD515L
Gibson CS-336L
Fender Stratocaster (1974)
Fender Hotrod Precision Bass
Luna Ukulele
Old 03-31-2021, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

I forgot about this thread..l thanks Bob, Paul, Started, and everyone else. Truly a great thread with many a great version. Cheers
Old 04-01-2021, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
I forgot about this thread..l thanks Bob, Paul, Started, and everyone else. Truly a great thread with many a great version. Cheers
And thanks for contributing yourself, Sal!

I hope we can keep this going. I've learned 2 new tunes as a result of this thread (both covers of covers) and have one more in mind.

Thanks to all!
Old 04-01-2021, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

I've been semi asleep at the wheel here the past week or so, getting moved out of our rental place down south, making the trip back home, getting our place here moved back into, everything turned on, a few inevitable repairs after a winter of the place being basically asleep, etc, etc, etc. And saying goodbye to our sweet new baby granddaughter, who, when we see her again a few months down the road, will be a whole different person.

We did everything backwards. Most people are getting vaccinated so they can go see their grandkids after a year or more away from them. We headed south in December, got comfortable in a safe "pod" with our Daughter and Son-In-Law, were there when the baby was born at the end of January, spent two blissful months with that little bundle of love, and THEN came home to get vaccinated!

But, catching up with this thread. Nice job on Sitting Here In Limbo Joe = a nice little band you had there. The lead player is quite good, but I have to confess, I like the feel your son brings to it a bit more than that guy. Your kid just has a feel for the Dead that can only come from being REALLY into them and listening closely. He's not as good as he's gonna get, but he already GETS IT!

I've been spending a lot of time with a couple of Little Feat and Townsend/Lane tunes (anyone else love that Rough Mix album from the late '70s?) lately. I'm gonna have to lean back into some more Dead stuff here in a bit...

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 04-01-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Garcia/Grisman did a nice version of this. There is box set where Jerry played this for the Dead in the studio.

Old 04-01-2021, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Garcia/Grisman did a nice version of this. There is box set where Jerry played this for the Dead in the studio.
Man, that song has been covered by everyone from the Irish Rovers to the Pogues to Thin Lizzy to Metallica, and many many more. I'm pretty partial to the Garcia/Grisman version myself, but it's a real trip to do a search through Spotify or Apple Music and listen to some of the WILDLY different versions. I like your traditional reading, Paul...

-Ray
Old 04-02-2021, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Ray.

Yes, so many versions of this one ... and none of them have the exact same words!

Cheers
Old 04-05-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:

Nice one and an obscure one too. What else you got?

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 04-07-2021, 02:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Mr Paul....

Nice... bravo!
Old 04-07-2021, 07:06 AM

This one, Fire on the Mountain, is from a street fair outside our neighborhood music school in the spring of 2018. We had about 30 seconds to set up, and no sound check. Bass and drums are jazz musician music teachers. Once they turned my mic on it kind of gets going. The kid is 13.

https://youtu.be/tzHZB_wS6TE

Notice the fire truck passing up the avenue early on.

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)

Last edited by started with 1; 04-07-2021 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
This one is from a street fair outside our neighborhood music school in the spring of 2018. We had about 30 seconds to set up, and no sound check. Bass and drums are jazz musician music teachers. Once they turned my mic on it kind of gets going. The kid is 13.

https://youtu.be/tzHZB_wS6TE

Notice the fire truck passing up the avenue early on.
I really like that one a lot. Your son has gotten a lot better since then, but he already had the feel. He's gonna be scary in another five years if he stays with it. He sounds like he was trying to get the sound of Jerry's envelope filter without actually having one and he didn't do a bad job of it, but it's a LOT easier to get that sound if you have one. It's sort of like an auto-wah, but not quite. I had one for a while years ago before I stopped playing and then started again a few years back. Your vocals are great on this one too, sounds like the style you were meant to sing.

-Ray
Old 04-09-2021, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Well, I put this up, took it down, and after a good reminder from Sal, here it is again, warts and all. One of my favorite (I say that a lot) Dead tunes, Mississippi Half Step.

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 04-16-2021 at 06:26 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell