The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-06-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by embo View Post
Thanks, man! I tell ya, if you can make use of your pinky a little to add some flair to the C and F chords, you can strum this and make it sound awesome without the fingerpicking. It's pretty straightforward once you get the tempo down. Here's a tab I put together when I was learning it...maybe it can help you, too.

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/use...gsM15eZyLH0fbF

Hey embo this is great! And thanks for the tab. I use ultimate guitar for almost all my covers.

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 05-07-2021, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Don’t let it the Dead thread die who’s got one?

I was past my prime and missed this one when it first came out

https://soundcloud.com/user-16619491/black-muddy-river
Nicely done Bob. I've been playing this some lately too, and might have thought about recording it, but something about that middle 8 (that short bit with a Bm in it, I think right before where you took your solo) that I just can't seem to get a feel for. At all. But you handle the whole thing nicely. Nice spare solo too. I don't think either of us will ever be world renowned vocalists, but you seem to be doing a good job lately of adapting your vocal to the material or the material to your vocal. Whatever, you've been making it work! I just work at not having too many horrible vocal clams when I sing - I don't feel I can get creative with it at all.

I'm working on a couple of very late period Dead tunes. I might put one up this weekend sometime.

-Ray
Old 05-07-2021, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Nicely done Bob. I've been playing this some lately too, and might have thought about recording it, but something about that middle 8 (that short bit with a Bm in it, I think right before where you took your solo) that I just can't seem to get a feel for. At all. But you handle the whole thing nicely. Nice spare solo too. I don't think either of us will ever be world renowned vocalists, but you seem to be doing a good job lately of adapting your vocal to the material or the material to your vocal. Whatever, you've been making it work! I just work at not having too many horrible vocal clams when I sing - I don't feel I can get creative with it at all.

I'm working on a couple of very late period Dead tunes. I might put one up this weekend sometime.

-Ray
Thanks Ray, I look forward to hearing your new tunes.

I am striving for mediocrity with my singing. Sometimes I’m embarrassed by it, but then I say to myself there’s plenty of high handicappers on the golf course who seem to enjoy themselves just fine and nobody criticizes them for trying. So that’s what I’m going to do

Recording has helped me, and listening back to this one I probably should’ve gone a little higher—but live and learn!

Thanks again,
Old 05-07-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
You know this thread will not fade away! I want to do an Althea cover one of these days, but the house has been chaos and it hasn't been quiet enough for me to record lately. Once I get some quiet time, I'll lay it down and share it. Might work up a Stella Blue later this spring as well. Stay tuned!
Old 05-07-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
You know this thread will not fade away! I want to do an Althea cover one of these days, but the house has been chaos and it hasn't been quiet enough for me to record lately. Once I get some quiet time, I'll lay it down and share it. Might work up a Stella Blue later this spring as well. Stay tuned!

Do it! There are at least two Altheas here already.

breedlove oregon OM SMYe
Old 05-07-2021, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Good to hear from you again, embo!

I would love to hear you on Althea and especially Stella Blue. Such and emotional song.

Thanks for playing
Old 05-08-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I decided not to bite that one off yet. But since part of the melody reminded me of Louis Collins, I gave that one a go yesterday. Not something the Dead played, but Jerry did a lot, with Grisman, Grisman and Rice, and probably some of his other acoustic outfits.

-Ray

Great one Ray. Love the Garcia Grisman stuff.

breedlove oregon OM SMYe
Old 05-08-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:

I was past my prime and missed this one when it first came out

https://soundcloud.com/user-16619491/black-muddy-river

Keep em coming Bob. I kind of missed this one too. But it works well just the same. Really enjoyed your version.

breedlove oregon OM SMYe

Last edited by started with 1; 05-08-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Change of plans. I was gonna try recording my two favorite late era Jerry songs, Standing on the Moon, and So Many Roads this weekend. My wife is going out of town tomorrow for a few days, so I may yet. But this morning I was just messing around with this one and it occurred to me, and really surprised me really, that nobody had done this one in this thread yet. I was having too much fun not to record it, so here you go - Hunter's take on Altamont... Since this is almost more of a rap than singing, I wasn't too worried about the vocal...

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 05-11-2021 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

One of your best, Ray! Love the electric tone, rhythm part is spot on. This is an underrated song, maybe because it didn’t get played live very much (I never heard it live)? Funny, in my head I hear Pigpen singing it, not Jerry. For me it is kind of the flip side to Easy Wind. But I digress, great job 👏
Old 05-08-2021, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
Keep em coming Bob. I kind of missed this one too. But it works well just the same. Really enjoyed your version.
Thanks Joe! I’ve got one more in mind, another late period Jerry tune that I only recently appreciated.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
One of your best, Ray! Love the electric tone, rhythm part is spot on. This is an underrated song, maybe because it didn’t get played live very much (I never heard it live)? Funny, in my head I hear Pigpen singing it, not Jerry. For me it is kind of the flip side to Easy Wind. But I digress, great job ��
Thanks for the kind words Bob. It's a fun one to play. I've never been really comfortable playing lead to it, but it'll do. I know I saw them play it at least once, not sure if more. But I've always thought it was a pretty great Dead song - along with Truckin and The Other One among the most autobiographical of the Dead's tunes.

My wife was out of town visiting her Mom yesterday and most of today. I had a docs appt this morning or I'd have gone too. But I had a LOT of time and nobody to worry about offending around. My wife is very nice about my playing, but we have pretty different taste in music and I know my playing is a lot to put up with for her. Even if she never says to. So anyway, I did record the two songs I'd been threatening to. I'd done a cut of one before I did New Speedway Boogie, but I wanted to try it again before posting.

Anyway, these are probably my two favorite late era Garcia / Hunter tunes. So Many Roads slipped under my radar until I saw them in Philly the night they played Unbroken Chain for the first time, in the Spring of 95. That was an electric moment, but most of the concert wasn't much to write home about (as most of them weren't in those late days). But they played So Many Roads, and Jerry sung it more soulfully that I'd just about ever heard him sing anything. Just absolutely blew me away. I've had a soft spot for it ever since. And Standing On The Moon was also a really sweet ballad. Also associated with a late Jerry memory. The night before the last night I saw the Dead with Jerry, they played this. And it was awful, and a real tell for just how sick the man was. He could barely play anything that night, and while he was singing this tune, he could barely croak it out. It was just heartbreaking. This was June 95, a two night run at RFK, and the second night was better - Dylan opened and Jerry and Hornsby sat in for a few songs and that seemed to energize Jerry some.

Anyway, here are my versions of these two tunes. I've come to really love both songs. I don't have any other Dead tunes on my list to try to play or record. I'm sure I'll find something at some point, but this little burst of three songs in quick order might be it for me for a while at least...

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 07-11-2021 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

I Ike those, Ray! A couple of great tunes. I have always thought SOTM deserved more acclaim, love that lyric. Your tone on the solos is real nice.

Let’s hope for more contributions. This could up as a zombie thread as new members join, that would be great
Old 05-11-2021, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I Ike those, Ray! A couple of great tunes. I have always thought SOTM deserved more acclaim, love that lyric. Your tone on the solos is real nice.

Let’s hope for more contributions. This could up as a zombie thread as new members join, that would be great
Thanks Bob. I wish we had a "like" or "thanks" button, because all I really have to say is "thanks"!

-Ray
Old 05-14-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Change of plans. I was gonna try recording my two favorite late era Jerry songs, Standing on the Moon, and So Many Roads this weekend. My wife is going out of town tomorrow for a few days, so I may yet. But this morning I was just messing around with this one and it occurred to me, and really surprised me really, that nobody had done this one in this thread yet. I was having too much fun not to record it, so here you go - Hunter's take on Altamont... Since this is almost more of a rap than singing, I wasn't too worried about the vocal...

-Ray

Great job on this one Ray. My kid and I have a version from a couple of years ago I will post over the weekend. Never appreciated the song until I sang it. Loved your version.

breedlove oregon OM SMYe

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell