The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2021, 02:49 PM

Default Anyone else get unsolicited "freebies" from Strings and Beyond?

So a USPS priority mail package arrived for me today from Strings and Beyond. I hadn't ordered anything from them in a while (but when I do, it tended to be a big order, like when they had a BOGO for D'addario EXPs I bought over a dozen sets).

Thinking my account had been hacked, I checked my online account with S&B, as well as my credit cards. No recent activity on either front.

So I opened the package. Within is a set of DR Veritas Acoustic 12-54 strings "bonus 2 free strings" it says on the package, and a NuTone Clayton Premium Series heavy pick. Oh and a postcard sized "free JamPlay membership" whatever that means.

No receipt.

No packing slip.

No sign of the package being pre-opened (it was sealed when I got it). The address label is clearly to me, but there is nothing inside indicating a sale, nothing in my account on their website indicating anything was ordered or shipped to me in months (since their BOGO sale over the summer). And nothing on my credit cards.

This happen to anyone else? Don't get me wrong, if it's a "thank you for doing a lot of business with us" I'm totally down for that, but a note of appreciation to explain why I got this would have been nice.

Or maybe this is karma. I ordered a Nutone Clayton pick months ago from Guitar Center which never arrived. Their CSR claimed they'd refund my money. They never did. It was only $5 so I just chalked it up as a loss, it's not worth my time to keep going at it with their CSR...guess I got that Nutone pick after all!
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 03-03-2021, 03:23 PM

I wish!
I've been waiting for their yearly 'Free International Shipping' offer tp place a good size order but they haven't had one since the pandemic.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-03-2021, 03:25 PM

No but do check out the Veritas strings. They're really good on the right guitar, in my case the Santa Cruz.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
Within is a set of DR Veritas Acoustic 12-54 strings "bonus 2 free strings" it says on the package, and a NuTone Clayton Premium Series heavy pick. Oh and a postcard sized "free JamPlay membership" whatever that means.

No receipt.

No packing slip.

No sign of the package being pre-opened (it was sealed when I got it). The address label is clearly to me, but there is nothing inside indicating a sale, nothing in my account on their website indicating anything was ordered or shipped to me in months (since their BOGO sale over the summer). And nothing on my credit cards.

This happen to anyone else? Don't get me wrong, if it's a "thank you for doing a lot of business with us" I'm totally down for that, but a note of appreciation to explain why I got this would have been nice.
I'm guessing it's a mixup. They were intended for someone else, probably with a similar name, and they picked your address out of the database by mistake.

If it were me, I'd contact them and ask. If it's not a mixup, you'll learn the real reason; if it is a mixup, you'll have the satisfaction of having done the right thing, and they'll appreciate you for letting them know they still owe the other guy something.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:02 PM

Not with strings, but the exact thing happened with a $450 dollar smart watch from Amazon in late November/ early December. We posted about it, I've contacted Amazon twice, the first time through email and the second over the phone, a claim thing was started and they never got back to me either time. I decided not to spend more of my time and energy trying to straighten it out with a company owned by the richest man in the world, I'm going to sell it now I guess, I could really use the money right now anyway, trying to sell one of my guitars as it is to pay the bills!

Anyway, accept the gift and try them out!

Last edited by Wellington; 03-03-2021 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
I could really use the money right now anyway, trying to sell one of my guitars as it is to pay the bills!
Which one?
Old 03-03-2021, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
Not with strings, but the exact thing happened with a $450 dollar smart watch from Amazon in late November/ early December. We posted about it, I've contacted Amazon twice, the first time through email and the second over the phone, a claim thing was started and they never got back to me either time. I decided not to spend more of my time and energy trying to straighten it out with a company owned by the richest man in the world, I'm going to sell it now I guess, I could really use the money right now anyway, trying to sell one of my guitars as it is to pay the bills!

Anyway, accept the gift and try them out!
It's my understanding that the FTC says you don't have to return items that you get that you did not order. In fact, legally you are not even obligated to contact the seller. Again, that's my understanding so maybe somebody can fill in the blanks. Ethically, of course, you would try to contact the seller. But legally, you're home free.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

Last edited by Ralph124C41; 03-03-2021 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
Which one?
My S&P, not worth much, $500 CAD.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
It's my understanding that the FTC says you don't have to return items that you get that you did not order. In fact, legally you are not even obligated to contact the seller. Again, that's my understanding so maybe somebody can fill in the blanks. Ethically, of course, you would try to contact the seller. But legally, you're home free.
Good to know! I'll have to look into it
Old 03-04-2021, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
That is correct. I used to belong to an organization that is famous for bombarding you with requests for money for various “urgent” projects. Easy to ignore. Then one day I got a DVD instructional course in the mail that I had not ordered. They said I could send it back or pay for it. I did neither. What I did do was contact them telling them I was done with them and threw the “course” into the trash.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
That is correct. I used to belong to an organization that is famous for bombarding you with requests for money for various “urgent” projects. Easy to ignore. Then one day I got a DVD instructional course in the mail that I had not ordered. They said I could send it back or pay for it. I did neither. What I did do was contact them telling them I was done with them and threw the “course” into the trash.
You were within your rights to do so, of course, and it was probably the right thing in that situation, but I don't think this is analogous to OP's situation. The law about being entitled to treat unsolicited merchandise as gifts is to protect consumers from unscrupulous merchants with predatory billing schemes. OP isn't being asked to pay for anything. This looks like a genuine mistake by a forum sponsor well known to be a decent company.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:24 AM

If you want to donate those Veritas strings to me, I’ll take them!! My D41 LOVES those strings!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 03-04-2021, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

No, but I would guess you either won some periodic drawing they might have or it's a mistake. They are nice folks, and if it were me I would give them a call and solve the mystery. If they made a mistake and mailed it to the wrong person I'm sure they'd appreciate the heads up.

All the best,

Cheers!
Old 03-04-2021, 03:03 PM

Strings & Beyond are great. I've placed about 15 orders over the years. Unfortunately, Canadians now need to pay for shipping but I decided it was worth it and receive my last order a couple of weeks ago.

Freebies = good.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

I just got an order from them. They used to include a couple picks but there were none in the package. A little disappointing on one hand, but on the other, I don't even want their picks. I guess I just want to feel special. I'm not going to hold it against them.

I think in this case my curiosity would get the best of me. I would have to ask. I doubt they would make anyone send back a set of strings and a pick. Maybe, but even if they did, you're not out anything.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 03-04-2021 at 04:26 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion