The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-31-2019, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Default Building a stage for best sound

Online searches have not provided anything decent. I play at a bar that wants to build a stage. They have a concrete floor. As for as bar size, I suppose it would hold 75 to 100 people on a big night. If you built two 4x8 ft sections, that would make an 8 ft stage. That is gonna get cramped with multiple bandmates. They also want to buy a cheap PA system for karaoke. Ugh. I hope they will get that mess out of the way when acts play there. FWIW, they are pretty green at this and def don't know anything about sound. I think they will dedicate 10-12 ft square. It doesn't seem like it would be hard to build a stage but I dunno, bound to be some tips for this. Some questions...

- How high to make it? And I guess a stage helps you get sound out to the audience and also kind of isolates the band for protection lol.

- How big to make it in square feet? What minimum dimensions?

- Make it portable? I think they are ok with permanent but not entirely sure. Put a frame barrier around it or is that in the way? If you build that, use cable to wood or what? If you were to do that, you'd best make it sturdy as heck cuz drunks would lean on it. Just seems to me it might get in the way but the manager likes the idea of a barrier.

Sure would appreciate some tips if anyone has them. Just thought of something... I sure hope an electrical outlet is right where they want to put it! thanks.

EDIT: Do you guys think a stage is even necessary? What do you think it accomplishes? Now that I think about it, this owner is kind of a tightwad, I'd bet he would cut corners. MikeBmusic answered below and mentioned needing to insulate it instead of it being hollow to prevent sound problems. And if you build it out of 2x6 frame, what is that accomplishing, getting you six inches above the floor? Trying to figure out here if it's even worth the trouble, plus, the owner being a tightwad, lol.

Last edited by LiveMusic; 01-31-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:08 AM

One thing to consider - if it is built with plywood and 2x6's, hollow and unfilled it is going to amplify any sound on it - people walking, amps resting on it, drum kits. So they need to stuff it full of insulation, and a carpet surface on it will help this as well as make it non-slip.
Size? As big as can be fit in the spaces. If it needs to be 'portable', then build it in 4'x4' sections, anything larger built out of wood will be too heavy to manage unless it's permanent. 8'x12' should be the minimum size if they expect 4-piece bands with a drum kit. We put a 5-piece (with a small 'cocktail' drum kit) on a 8'x12' and it was barely big enough - and we only had a small bass amp on stage, no other amps.
Remember that anything taller than 8" should have steps (both sides) to get up on the stage).
How much is the place willing to invest?
This place has everything needed: https://www.pssl.com/ A truly portable 8'x12' stage costs $2000 from them. You get what you pay for.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-31-2019, 05:56 PM

Look on Pinterest. There are lots of ideas there.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:13 PM

Maybe suggest they skip the stage and put the money into a better PA which could be used by live performers as well as by karaoke acts. In lieu of a stage, the venue could just move tables for the footprint needed for each act; in a smaller space like the one you describe, it's unlikely a stage will improve sound projection or provide any other benefit apart from possibly keeping patrons out of the performer's dedicated area. Inexpensively built platforms tend to be flimsy, can break under the weight of performers and equipment, don't look very professional, and can (as noted earlier) add unwanted resonances to the sound. Fixed in size, they are not flexible enough to adapt to different acts, so sometimes may be too small and other times may needlessly take up excess space which could be used for revenue-generating tables.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:42 AM

I prefer a stage, even if it's only 8/10 inches. Doesn't cost much and makes it more professional.

Plywood, 2x8's, insulation, carpet, nails.

Done.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-01-2019, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

I bought lumber and hardware to make frames for a small utility trailer. I was shocked at how much that, alone, cost. A quick calculation, based on current prices, I figure the lumber and hardware for a 12' x 12' x 12" stage would cost about $400. I dunno labor cost but figure, at least, $200. So, $600 minimum total. Make it $700 for contingencies.

That is using, as the main outside frame 2x6x12 lumber. I wonder if you could find 2x12x12? Deck would be 3/4" plywood. I assume that would work. Also, an inside frame to support the deck. I figure you need joists running every couple of feet? To support the deck.

What about insulating it underneath? You guys think that is necessary? With what?

Think it needs carpet on top? What type?

It if were mine, hmmm... if I had my druthers, you'd build it in half or quarter sections, as one big stage would be impossible to move, you'd just have to tear it down if you ever wanted to get rid of it. It seems if you built it in partial sections, you'd need to anchor them together, else, it would not be stable.

A pretty extensive search, I have not come up with any tips on building such a stage for musicians and their heavy amps and juking and jiving while playing. It needs to be solid, methinks.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:21 PM

You might be surprised how sturdy small platforms of plywood ONLY actually are - no 2x4 or 2x6 studs at all, just make a "box", sides & top, open bottom - very sturdy, especially if sections are no larger than 4x4 or 4x6, 6 - 12 inches tall, glue & nail-gun or screws, 3/4" ply. Hardware is available to connect sections together.

My band needed (wanted?) a drum riser, I had a connection with a cabinet shop. I told my bud what I wanted, and I had drawn a sketch.. He barely looked at my plans, just said I got this - it was fascinating to watch him cut and make it. With his big table saw rig, he NEVER even used a pencil! The table had built-in rulers everywhere, and he just "knew" the measurements and cuts he needed, even allowing for the true thickness of the 3/4 sheets. He made the cuts for one, put it together, both in less than 5 or 10 minutes, and said "Like THIS"? My flabber was GASTED! It was brilliant! The other three sections took every bit of 15 minutes total.. slacker..

So you put the four sections together, latch the little connectors, and it was like it was made out of 2x12's. Super solid, didn't shake or wobble at all. Would NOT let me pay him.

Now ply sheets ARE pretty expensive last time I checked, but not sure of a better DIY alternative?

Stage? Absolutely YES - even six inches elevation makes ALL the difference as a performer - gots to BE ON STAGE!

Best luck and have fun!
Old 02-01-2019, 01:51 PM

Well, I'll say that being on a real stage is great. Being on a home-made stage not always so much. In my experience, playing on cheaply made structures was worse than playing on the floor - they flexed under the weight of the band and our gear, and those with carpeting tended to be filthy - the carpeting is never cleaned properly, maybe rarely even vacuumed. If they are made of multiple sections, those often don't align properly for very long. This refers to playing with a 4-piece band with drums; a solo performer with minimal gear might fare better in such instances.

Given that the OP has expressed skepticism that this venue will provide a quality stage, my feeling is that no stage would be preferable in that case to a poor one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification