The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-08-2024, 05:21 PM
raysachs's Avatar
raysachs raysachs is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Eugene, OR & Wilmington, NC
Posts: 4,663
Default Oooh La La (for Arthur)

I've been a granddad for three years, our granddaughter is just about out of diapers and is an absolute delight. We thought that might be it, but now we have another two month old (from the same daughter) and our other daughter is pregnant and due in early April, so we're really in prime grandparent mode these days. And loving it.

The thing about my family is we seem to specialize in girls. I have two (much) older siblings and they each had a daughter, we had two daughters, and up until now there have been four daughters in the next generation, including our three year old. And the baby due in April is a girl as well. But my younger daughter managed to sneak a boy into the mix. He's the first boy on my side of the family since ME, almost 65 years ago. He was born five weeks early and had to spend a couple weeks in the NICU, but he was healthy, just little. He's been home since mid-December and is growing like a weed, up to almost 8 pounds - he was 3 lb, 7 oz when born early. And, being the only boy in the family, he's named after my late Dad, Arthur, which means a lot to me and to my older siblings.

Anyway, I used to play this song when I was younger without it having much meaning to me, but now I'm the poor old granddad singing to my young (very) grandson, warning about the ways of the world. The specifics don't work that well in my case - I've been very happily married to a woman I've been with for 41 years now (married 38+), so I can't and wouldn't complain about women's ways. But I had some painful experiences in my youth before I met my wife, like we all do, that I learned a lot from and am probably a better man for having been through them. So, anyway, from Pop Pop to little Arthur, my favorite three chord Faces tune.

IMG_0377 by Ray, on Flickr




-Ray
__________________
"It's just honest human stuff that hadn't been near a dang metronome in its life" - Benmont Tench
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-09-2024, 02:41 AM
Railroad Bum Railroad Bum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Kipling, NC
Posts: 709
Default

Ray, that's about as beautiful and honest as it gets. Congratulations on your grandson, and I am glad to hear that he is healthy and growing like crazy. I absolutely loved the song and your story behind it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-09-2024, 08:11 AM
raysachs's Avatar
raysachs raysachs is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Eugene, OR & Wilmington, NC
Posts: 4,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroad Bum View Post
Ray, that's about as beautiful and honest as it gets. Congratulations on your grandson, and I am glad to hear that he is healthy and growing like crazy. I absolutely loved the song and your story behind it.
Thanks Tim. Itís a song Iíve always liked and when I was playing it the other day, it occurred to me that itís a grandad talking to his grandson and I realized I am one and have one now, so I should record it, for him and posterity.

-Ray
__________________
"It's just honest human stuff that hadn't been near a dang metronome in its life" - Benmont Tench
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-09-2024, 08:49 AM
started with 1 started with 1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: nyc
Posts: 1,259
Default

Great one Ray and super sweet story about your Grandson. Congratulations.
__________________
Started with 1


bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-09-2024, 10:56 AM
Glennwillow Glennwillow is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Coastal Washington State
Posts: 44,786
Default

Hi Ray,

Congratulations on Arthur's entry into the world. What a cute little guy, too! Great job on the song, Ray!

- Glenn
__________________
My You Tube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-09-2024, 01:30 PM
raysachs's Avatar
raysachs raysachs is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Eugene, OR & Wilmington, NC
Posts: 4,663
Default

Thanks Joe and Glenn. I like the song, but my grandson is definitely the star of this show! Being a Pop Pop is about as good as it getsÖ I guess grandkids, Medicare, and Social Security are the rewards for getting old!

-Ray
__________________
"It's just honest human stuff that hadn't been near a dang metronome in its life" - Benmont Tench
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-10-2024, 10:20 AM
KevWind's Avatar
KevWind KevWind is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edge of Wilderness Wyoming
Posts: 19,746
Default

Hey well done Ray.
Hard to believe that song came out back in 73. boy time fly's
Written by Ronnie Lane and Ronnie Woods from the band Faces I believe is was probably their biggest hit ?
__________________
Enjoy the Journey.... Kev...

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-10-2024, 03:48 PM
raysachs's Avatar
raysachs raysachs is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Eugene, OR & Wilmington, NC
Posts: 4,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Hey well done Ray.
Hard to believe that song came out back in 73. boy time fly's
Written by Ronnie Lane and Ronnie Woods from the band Faces I believe is was probably their biggest hit ?
Thanks Kev. I think it was the only song Ron Wood actually got to SING in that band. Ronnie Lane and Rod Stewart also sang versions of it on later solo albums. But if Iím gonna be able to sing like any of the three of em, I think Ron Wood is my best shot, so Iím glad his voice is the one most associated with that song!

-Ray
__________________
"It's just honest human stuff that hadn't been near a dang metronome in its life" - Benmont Tench
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-12-2024, 01:08 PM
WFO! WFO! is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I've been a granddad for three years, our granddaughter is just about out of diapers and is an absolute delight. We thought that might be it, but now we have another two month old (from the same daughter) and our other daughter is pregnant and due in early April, so we're really in prime grandparent mode these days. And loving it.

The thing about my family is we seem to specialize in girls. I have two (much) older siblings and they each had a daughter, we had two daughters, and up until now there have been four daughters in the next generation, including our three year old. And the baby due in April is a girl as well. But my younger daughter managed to sneak a boy into the mix. He's the first boy on my side of the family since ME, almost 65 years ago. He was born five weeks early and had to spend a couple weeks in the NICU, but he was healthy, just little. He's been home since mid-December and is growing like a weed, up to almost 8 pounds - he was 3 lb, 7 oz when born early. And, being the only boy in the family, he's named after my late Dad, Arthur, which means a lot to me and to my older siblings.

Anyway, I used to play this song when I was younger without it having much meaning to me, but now I'm the poor old granddad singing to my young (very) grandson, warning about the ways of the world. The specifics don't work that well in my case - I've been very happily married to a woman I've been with for 41 years now (married 38+), so I can't and wouldn't complain about women's ways. But I had some painful experiences in my youth before I met my wife, like we all do, that I learned a lot from and am probably a better man for having been through them. So, anyway, from Pop Pop to little Arthur, my favorite three chord Faces tune.

IMG_0377 by Ray, on Flickr




-Ray
This is really special - I love it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-12-2024, 06:51 PM
SalFromChatham's Avatar
SalFromChatham SalFromChatham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 7,686
Default

I forgot about that song! Anyways bravoÖ

But especiallyÖ. Thank you for sharing that wonderful photo of your grandson. Awesome.
__________________
i got tired of updating my guitars.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=