The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-11-2024, 11:24 AM

Default PRS SE?

Anyone here own one of these? I've been looking at them and they make some really beautiful models. Need to get down the GC and try some out...
Old 02-11-2024, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

They are generally excellent guitars. I've owned both a SE hollow body and the recently released Swamp Ash Special. If you like PRS guitars you'll likely find these to be an excellent way to get one if the budget won't allow a core model.
Old 02-11-2024, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
Anyone here own one of these? I've been looking at them and they make some really beautiful models. Need to get down the GC and try some out...
I spent a couple of days playing quite a few of them. They were all well made, and some seemed exceptional. I picked up a used S2 instead, but the SE's seem like a very good deal...
Old 02-11-2024, 12:35 PM

I really like the ones with the colored tops and natural back/sides. I don't like the black backs because they will get scuffed and always looks smudged with fingerprints, etc. .

Some of the colors they offer with quilted maple are insanely beautiful.
Old 02-11-2024, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I think the PRS SE electrics are very good. My biggest problem with them is The Birds.

I think some people like that but it's too gothic for me.

My PRS SE is the old 22-fret Santana model with oblique fingerboard markers.

The Hollowbody standard model with mahogany body is a super value for money and in the last couple of years I've often seen it discounted as much as 20%.

Owing to the superior QC that PRS achieves even with the SE guitars, they are about the best value in used guitars out there.
Old 02-11-2024, 01:08 PM

Man, I love the birds!
Old 02-11-2024, 02:10 PM

It's hard to make a blanket statement about PRS SEs, because there are so many models. The only thing you can say for sure is that the build quality is exceptional. After that, all of the models are quite different. You can love one and hate another.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I had a SE semi-hollow a while ago now but the build quality was great. In recent months I tried a lot of the SE Silver Sky at the local GC and Dave's.

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind getting one from Guitar Center. Even across different stores their new and used ones were all grimy, shopworn and overpriced. Dave's has had a lot of used ones for much less, any issues disclosed, and unlike the new ones at Guitar Zoo, the new ones at Dave's were set up perfectly.

A few months ago my son and I tried some other SE models at two of Dave's locations. They were same good build but in my case I wanted something Strat-like.

A FYI, but for just a little more money than the PRS SE, I loved the batch of MIJ Fenders Dave's got not long ago. I'm not sure if they are sold through now but it was super fun to check them out, and I got the understanding of why those have a loyal following.

Good luck with your first world problems.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

I kinda hoped to be wowed by the maple-board PRS SE's when I was trying out all the Strat and Strat-adjacent guitars at the big local (non-GC) guitar shop in town. Probably from a couple years of playing a Player Series Tele every day but somehow I just kept feeling more comfortable with the Player Strat necks and fretboards and not quite settling in with the PRS. I also thought the pickups were just slightly blander, less chimy than the Fender ones.

But for about the same price, the PRS SE had much better fretwork and overall they seemed nice. Not a big fan of those light gray plastic tuning knobs, though. Awful cheap looking on a nearly-$1,000 guitar.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 02-12-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
I kinda hoped to be wowed by the maple-board PRS SE's when I was trying out all the Strat and Strat-adjacent guitars at the big local (non-GC) guitar shop in town. Probably from a couple years of playing a Player Series Tele every day but somehow I just kept feeling more comfortable with the Player Strat necks and fretboards and not quite settling in with the PRS. I also thought the pickups were just slightly blander, less chimy than the Fender ones.

But for about the same price, the PRS SE had much better fretwork and overall they seemed nice. Not a big fan of those light gray plastic tuning knobs, though. Awful cheap looking on a nearly-$1,000 guitar.
The tuners definitely feel and look cheap. I think the neck is a love it or hate it thing...I really like them, but they're different from anything I've ever played before...
Old 02-12-2024, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I had a SE semi-hollow a while ago now but the build quality was great. In recent months I tried a lot of the SE Silver Sky at the local GC and Dave's.

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind getting one from Guitar Center. Even across different stores their new and used ones were all grimy, shopworn and overpriced. Dave's has had a lot of used ones for much less, any issues disclosed, and unlike the new ones at Guitar Zoo, the new ones at Dave's were set up perfectly.

A few months ago my son and I tried some other SE models at two of Dave's locations. They were same good build but in my case I wanted something Strat-like.

A FYI, but for just a little more money than the PRS SE, I loved the batch of MIJ Fenders Dave's got not long ago. I'm not sure if they are sold through now but it was super fun to check them out, and I got the understanding of why those have a loyal following.

Good luck with your first world problems.
I really appreciate the tone of your reply. Very helpful.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I really appreciate the tone of your reply. Very helpful.
I realize some places only have a GC store but we've had pleasure in regional travel to other sellers. It also seems like some GC stores have much better local managers. In this case, Dave's also had lower prices, especially on used, and a seller about 75 miles away has better online prices. They are a family owned music store also in the school/band business.

Maybe a tangent here, but I think the PRS SE line helped poke others to make nicer moderately priced instruments.

For a while I really noticed Gibson quality as poor and it seems improved now too. Squier guitars all see WAY better than my first electric in 2006. Some hold a lot of brand bias but I love the competition and all the neat stuff out there.

We're a bad household for total brand loyalists, but admitted fans of traditional retailers who've remained strong. After GAS-free for a while, I love all the great guitar choices out there.
Old 02-12-2024, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

I have never owned a PRS guitar of any kind, but they sure make some beautiful guitars. The SE guitars seem like terrific values. I have been tempted so many times.

- Glenn
Old 02-12-2024, 03:33 PM

Hi,

I've owned a PRS SE since 2014. The build quality is very nice (Korean made) and I have yet to find a flaw. The pick-ups sound nice and all the electronics work as new, almost a decade later. If you find one that you like, I think its safe to say that you can't really go wrong with one.

As to the comment about the bird inlays... yeah, I feel you on that. I'm also not into the birds that much either. The PRS model I went with has the birds, but instead of the white birds it had a dark greenish abalone birds. They almost disappear depending on the lighting.

Here is a demo of the model I went with (Fredrik Akesson, since discontinued, but I recommend if you can find one used)

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM

I have several of them: a hollow body II, a swamp ash special, a DGT, a SE Baritone. I've had two core DGT models in the past, and I much prefer the neck carve of the DGT SE........Mr. Smith is one of my heroes, expansion of the SE series is just another reason why. The quality of guitars like the SE and Sire vs. price, gives me hope for my daughters.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars