The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-26-2023, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD part deux - Romeo calling

Well, on a bit of a roll but didn't plan it that way. As I've been woodshedding the solo act more, I wanted to add some more jazz standards as I can now pull at least some of them off and it fits the wine bar crowd fairly well. While you can comp maj7 chords on most any instrument, the vibe of a hollow or semi-hollow can help with motivation and performance. At least that's my rationalization. This was a bit of a roll of the dice but luck was with me. I generally try to avoid hencho-en-China stuff (though almost impossible), but Eastman is a bit of a different animal as they have a different history and aren't a low-budget copy shop.

Enter the Romeo. I was drawn to this for a couple of reasons - smaller body that most 16" thinlines, a bit wider nut, and Eastman was doing their own thing with the design rather than replicating a 335/339/etc.

Plenty of people gush about Eastmans on the acoustic board. I can say this is a really well put-together instrument that is spot-on. There really isn't anything I'd change, and it already has proven to be inspiring to play. It'll do the rock thing as well, the Lollar pickups have a great sound and the tone controls actually work as they should so you can dial up a lot of variation between the knobs and technique. Took me a bit to get used to the geometry as this is the shortest scale instrument I've owned and the body is a shape I'm not used to. But it didn't take long and it is proving to be easy to play and sounds quite good.

It also is more hollow than typical thinlines which have a block all the way down the center of the body. This just has a block under the bridge, so it cops a bit more of a big box sound.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 01-26-2023, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Wow, congratulations on a very cool looking guitar! What a gorgeous finish! And those Lollar pickups are very nice!

Good for you!

- Glenn
Old 01-27-2023, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on a great looking guitar! If I remember correctly, Eastman's thinline guitars use the standard Gibson scale of 24.75". If so, you'll get used to it quickly. The little bit of extra room on the nut width would be welcome in my house also.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:24 AM

Congratulations! I have read very nice things about that model.
Just found out about their other new electric, the Juliet.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:12 AM

Very nice!

That will bear out to be a very versatile guitar for you. She's not a one trick pony.

I recently bought the Romeo's 'cousin' (T186MX) and had a hard time choosing between the Goldburst and the 'Classic' finish (which I ended up getting). That Goldburst on your guitar is beautiful. I love how the binding makes that pop on your Romeo.

The one thing I hope Eastman changes are the clasps on the case. On my case the edges on the corners (when the case is open) are pretty sharp and I put a couple of slight scratches in the lacquer when the back of my guitar accidentally contacted one of the edges putting the queen back in her sarcophagus.

I'm looking forward to your comments over time on your very fine purchase.
Fender Baja Telecaster
Old 01-27-2023, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! That model is on my list of electric to try out. I love a great thin line hollow body and it's good to see Eastman come to market with their own designs. Question: Does the nut measure 1 3/4"?
Old 01-27-2023, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
Congrats! That model is on my list of electric to try out. I love a great thin line hollow body and it's good to see Eastman come to market with their own designs. Question: Does the nut measure 1 3/4"?
Just a hair under 1-3/4". Or a bit wider than 1-11/16". I think they claim 1.72" which is about 1-23/32".

I'll have to get the lasers out to obtain more significant figures

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 01-27-2023, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, I haven't had a chance to see one yet and Eastman has been known to stray a bit on their nut width spec. 1.72" is a sweet spot for electric playing, at least for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars