The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-25-2023, 06:54 PM

Wink Sound hole pickup opinions?

I recently installed an LR Baggs M1 active soundhole humbucker pickup in my Guild D20.
I can't say that I'm a big fan of the way it changes the looks of the guitar, but I did like the price compared to other alternatives. I like the way it sounds. It does bother me when finger picking just a little. Evidently I've been sticking my fingers in quite deep when finger picking and the pickup ended up going right where I like to place my fingers in the sound hole. I will adapt and just move my hand back a little bit in the sound hole because I don't like finger picking over the top of the pickup. It doesn't bother me when strumming with my fingers or a pick.

If you have a soundhole pickup what are your likes and/or dislikes about it?
Old 01-25-2023, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas007 View Post
I recently installed an LR Baggs M1 active soundhole humbucker pickup in my Guild D20.
I can't say that I'm a big fan of the way it changes the looks of the guitar, but I did like the price compared to other alternatives. I like the way it sounds. It does bother me when finger picking just a little. Evidently I've been sticking my fingers in quite deep when finger picking and the pickup ended up going right where I like to place my fingers in the sound hole. I will adapt and just move my hand back a little bit in the sound hole because I don't like finger picking over the top of the pickup. It doesn't bother me when strumming with my fingers or a pick.

If you have a soundhole pickup what are your likes and/or dislikes about it?
I have a permanently installed old-generation DeArmond pickup installed in a cheap all-laminated 12-string. It has a sound (not a "like a great acoustic in room" sound) that works, but the acoustic sound of that guitar isn't all that great anyway. You can plug it into anything. There's no battery to worry about. At reasonable volumes it's not been a feedback problem

I've used a DiMarzio Black Angel once in a while. Not extensive enough use to have a useful opinion, but it worked when needed. One nice thing about it is that it can be easily packed up and taken to be used with a variety of guitars on an as-needed basis.

I mostly mic my guitar in the few times I've played live, and play electric when I've played with a louder band.

I play electrics a lot, and bumping into pickups under the strings there hasn't been a significant issue for me.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-25-2023, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Hey Chas, glad you are liking your Baggs M1. I had one and liked it, wound up getting a Baggs M80, which I like a little more, because it has more body/mic sound than the M1.
Mojotone has a couple of new soundhole pickups that sound real nice. The one thing I don't like about the Baggs, they are a little heavy, moreso than the Mojotone.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 01-26-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Hey Chas, glad you are liking your Baggs M1. I had one and liked it, wound up getting a Baggs M80, which I like a little more, because it has more body/mic sound than the M1.
Mojotone has a couple of new soundhole pickups that sound real nice. The one thing I don't like about the Baggs, they are a little heavy, moreso than the Mojotone.
All the demos of the Mojotone NC-Passive have sounded very good, but Lord only knows what the recording signal path has been. They could be miking a high-end, acoustic-friendly tube amp or using the kind of studio tricks that inspired the Session DI.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Never been a fan of Mag sound-hole pickups. But they have a purpose.
I have a K&K Double Helix Solo sound whole Acoustic Pickup paired with a K&K mic, with the internal Preamp. It's a great Plug and Play option for just about anything from, Solo gigs to the full ensemble. The Helix on its own sounds really good, but A little mic goes a long way in regard to adding air.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 01-27-2023 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:35 PM

I bought a used Fishman Rare Earth mic-blend last September to install in my GS-Mini. I am very happy with it and honestly like it better than the Stereo Blender/K&K PW mini setups I have in my other 2 Taylors.

I also just ordered a Fishman humbucker to A/B next to it to see how much difference there is.

I am running this pickup into my Rane AP13, out to an Ultrasound AG50DS2, which sends signals to a Daedalus C-81 powered by an ISP Stealth and also a Fishman Loudbox 100.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:09 PM

Fishman Rare Earth Blend is the best pickup I've found. The mag in that one is pretty darned good, and then blending in the mic.... best plugged in sound I've ever had.

Small enough that it doesn't change the sound of the guitar or bother me when not plugged in.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 01-27-2023, 05:00 AM
Charter Member

My favorite soundhole pups are the Baggs trio, and the mojotone NC-passive. The latter is a portable pickup- no end pin install. I swap it between a few guitars.

And FWIW my best live sound is a Baggs M1 passive with a good DI. I currently use a fire eye, but a Baggs Venue works great also.
Old 01-27-2023, 05:09 AM
Charter Member

I have a Mojotone NC-1 in my Martin CS J-17. It sounds amazing and I think that visually it blends right in;

I have a JJB in my Road Series GPC, and a Fishman Matrix Infinity in my GP-28e but the Mojotone in there best sounding by far. You know the saying ''my guitar only louder'', this is ''my guitar only better''!
Old 01-27-2023, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
My favorite soundhole pups are the Baggs trio, and the mojotone NC-passive. The latter is a portable pickup- no end pin install. I swap it between a few guitars.

And FWIW my best live sound is a Baggs M1 passive with a good DI. I currently use a fire eye, but a Baggs Venue works great also.
I’m glad to learn that you like the NC-Passive. How long have you had it? I thought they just recently became available for purchase. They DO seem like a good choice for an easily installed backup pickup.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I have a Mojotone NC-1 in my Martin CS J-17. It sounds amazing and I think that visually it blends right in;

I have a JJB in my Road Series GPC, and a Fishman Matrix Infinity in my GP-28e but the Mojotone in there best sounding by far. You know the saying ''my guitar only louder'', this is ''my guitar only better''!
I agree yours blends in pretty well. Mine, not so much.
I wish they could custom make them look like the inside of your guitar. That would be cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg InShot_20230127_104441950.jpg (28.6 KB, 129 views)
Old 01-27-2023, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
Fishman Rare Earth Blend is the best pickup I've found. The mag in that one is pretty darned good, and then blending in the mic.... best plugged in sound I've ever had.

Small enough that it doesn't change the sound of the guitar or bother me when not plugged in.
Same. That's what IO was going to recommend. My band plays really loud so when playing with them I dial the mic down. When I need a good acoustic tone I dial up the mic blend. It is by FAR the best sounding acoustic pickup I've ever had.

I don't like the inconvenient battery location (you have to remove the pickup), coupled with the permanent internal cord - I intend to install an inline plug so I can remove it entirely.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-27-2023, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

I have a Black Angel in a chambered solid body guitar I picked up along the way. I run K&K in all my other instruments, but I do really like the change when I use this guitar. It's just super smooth sounding for lack of a better description. I've gone through a few different mag pickups and this has been my favorite. I run it through a Headway pre and then to an EAE A4-8 mkii. Again....just uber smooth sounding and a nice change of pace. I get a more than usable sound from it.
20230127_113315.jpg20230127_113321.jpg

Last edited by Brent Nelson; 01-27-2023 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:01 PM

I’ve just had a dilemma over which sound hole pickup to put in my J-35. I removed the Baggs Element and installed a new bone saddle. I’ve had lots of positive experience with:

Rare Earth Blend - always thought this one suited my playing style most. Only things I dislike are the need to shorten the cable for a permanent install, the wire doesn’t detached and the battery change is Awkward.

Baggs M1 - this would look really cool I think in an old looking J-35. I’ve also got a Baggs align EQ and Session DI which really work well with the M1. I prefer this to the active version and the M80 but I also feel like it needs a second source to sound its best.

I was intrigued by the PowerTap Earth - I’ve previously had a Baggs M1 and K&K combo that was great. This seems like a simpler solution which I can use mono for quick plug and play and also split the signal if needed.

The Mojotone stuff has also been getting great feedback on here and I’ve been tempted but there are none in the UK so I’d have to buy in from Europe without being able to try first.

In the end I’ve gone for the Powertap Earth. The J-35 was dropped off with a luthier today to have it installed (plus I needed the cable shortening and soldering). Hopefully it will all work out great!

I might consider. Different setup for my Lowden which doesn’t currently have a pickup in.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 01-27-2023, 01:19 PM

I have an M1A in a Eastman OM. I am not in love with the looks but it works great!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification