The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-22-2023, 09:06 AM

Default How is your ski season?

Our region has been slow on the lake effect powder dumps but I've had 3 trips now that were freshies. MN north shore got a better start than Lake Superior south shore. The last trip with my daughter was incredible. The little baby became an amazing young adult. Wow does she pack the power, smarts, and kindness in a a somewhat small package.

For local, we've both been teaching little kiddies at our club and getting out for some fun but our kids go back to college tomorrow.

We made our alt Shaggy's annual family vacation to pursue a better powder forecast. Wow do we love our Shaggy's - get some.

Old 01-22-2023, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Excellent in Colorado. North of and along I-70 have plenty of snow. SW Colorado, Purgatory and Wolf Creek, just got 3 FEET of new snow.

I retired from skiing a year ago, but used to ski Monarch and Copper Mountain mostly. They both have lots of snow. I live midway between the two, and our snow has been rather sparse. But we get dumped on in the spring.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

So much snow it’s been hard to make it to Tahoe. First turns coming this weekend in Aspen.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:18 PM

Lots of good snow in December in the PNW. January has warmed up and rained in the mountains. Temps are supposed to cool and bring more snow. We're heading east into the Rockies (Idaho, Wyoming) soon for a couple weeks.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:00 AM

Well, for some of you I'd like a CO or WY trip but not the travel time or dealing with airlines right now. On top of that I'm really enjoying the little remote ski areas lost in time and the lack of crowds around Lake Superior.

For a good example, my last 3 trips north have had untracked snow for days. If there was a lift line, it was people just catching their breath or waiting.

For age, I'll be trying as much and as long and as hard as I can. The thoroughly modern gear is just incredible. I did my first ever totally custom boot fit and that helps with bones not the same anymore.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Looks like fun I have not been out this year at all... Love to see the helmets

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-24-2023, 08:13 AM

The season has really just picked up in Maine. We had a snowless start, so we skied manmade groomers with limited terrain. Recently, a series of storms has dumped a few feet and the glades and off-piste terrain has opened! Another storm coming tomorrow night, expecting 12"!
Old 01-24-2023, 11:50 AM
Musical minimalist

Been living in Central Lower Michigan for 61 winters - we have NEVER been this deep into January with no snow on the ground.

Even the northern parts of the lower peninsula have very little on the ground - the resorts that are open have only a few runs open from what I've heard.

Very strange winter, but as a golfer and cyclist, I'll take it!

Old 01-24-2023, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Been living in Central Lower Michigan for 61 winters - we have NEVER been this deep into January with no snow on the ground.

Even the northern parts of the lower peninsula have very little on the ground - the resorts that are open have only a few runs open from what I've heard.

Very strange winter, but as a golfer and cyclist, I'll take it!
Big cold is coming next week. I don't know what direction the wind will take but it should start the LES (lake effect snow) machine. The strange winter moved your state into drought. On top of that lower parts of the region have had spring behavior from some plants and animals WAY to early.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap.aspx

You need some Shaggy's and Michigan pride. It is really neat to me how a Michigan family's making skis as a hobby and for some family herritage became what they are now. I met them personally last month and tried other models. It was impressive.

For me the prize is back country at tip of Keweenaw but I'll follow the LES wherever it lands.

Old 01-27-2023, 05:59 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post

For me the prize is back country at tip of Keweenaw but I'll follow the LES wherever it lands.

Bohemia I presume?

Old 01-27-2023, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Bohemia I presume?
Of course. I know @dirk said he's in Aspen but when it comes to class or exclusive Boho really stands out. I've been to Aspen and nothing there resembles some yurts, the exclusive privacy (no cell phone service) or Boho food. The very special social aspects you get with bunk beds. The truly experts only vs wealth or other factors to discriminate LOL!

You can do back country going to Aspen, Tahoe or Vail but can you be picked up by an Abba bus?

Old 02-01-2023, 12:51 PM

Just back from Palisades aka Squaw Valley. Snow is epic. Conditions are perfect. As usual it's a bit crowded on weekends. The base to base gondola connecting Palisades to Alpine Meadows is new this year. It is smooth and no waiting in line while we were there. Gondola seats 4 comfortably and 6 tightly although the limit in the cabin is 8. The view is breathtaking. Alpine is unchanged and stands in stark contrast to the updated village of Palisades. Alpine is a great ski hill with wide trails and for beginners and intermediate skiing it's runs are mostly blues not the steeps you find on the Palisades side.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 02-01-2023, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Just wrapped up 5 days in Aspen, I’m writing this from the Pitkin Co. airport, where I’m waiting on a delayed flight to SF. We did 3 days at Snowmass, one at Aspen Mountain, and one at Aspen Highlands. Snowed about 18 inches then bluebird powder for 2 days. Got to ski with 2 long-time friends who I ski bummed with in Colorado in 1985 and 1986, and feel lucky to have such good, long-time friends who still rip. We did Snowmass most because one friend has a small ski in condo there, but it’s a great mountain! Actually enjoyed it more than Ajax or Highlands. More expert terrain than it generally gets credit for, and the best groomers I’ve ever skied.

Wonderful time with great humans and as good of conditions as you could ask for. Cold though! -3 one night. Brrrrr!
Old 02-01-2023, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like a great vacation, Dirk! Safe travels home.

I heard this morning that Steamboat has got 308" of snow so far this winter.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
Just back from Palisades aka Squaw Valley. Snow is epic. Conditions are perfect. As usual it's a bit crowded on weekends. The base to base gondola connecting Palisades to Alpine Meadows is new this year. It is smooth and no waiting in line while we were there. Gondola seats 4 comfortably and 6 tightly although the limit in the cabin is 8. The view is breathtaking. Alpine is unchanged and stands in stark contrast to the updated village of Palisades. Alpine is a great ski hill with wide trails and for beginners and intermediate skiing it's runs are mostly blues not the steeps you find on the Palisades side.
My family was up there this weekend, great to hear conditions were excellent! I'm also a much bigger fan of Alpine, and there's definitely some expert stuff off the top and in the back bowls, but it can take some hiking. Palisades has such a weird layout to the lodges compared to places in Colorado and Utah where they really seem to have all that figured out. Lodges are well laid out and sit in really useful places in terms of lift and run flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Sounds like a great vacation, Dirk! Safe travels home.

I heard this morning that Steamboat has got 308" of snow so far this winter.
Yeah the northern mountains got a ton more than the Aspen area. Trip home was short and sweet, and nice to see my wife's beautiful face after 5 dude-heavy days.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic